INDIANA BEATS ILLINOIS POSTGAME THREAD

KDB

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

don't know...I listened to Dakich about 2 weeks ago after one of the 5 losses in a row, and he blistered the staff and the players...said it was the worst coaching he'd ever seen while watching IU basketball...

Now, I know Dakich wants listeners, and part of that is inciting his audience, but I'm pretty sure Coach Woodson isn't going to stand for some yokel saying stuff like that...

Just one of many comments about ol’ Dan that I could copy and paste 

Hear ya Steub. With DD I try to remember he is trying to keep listeners... Shock pod at its finest.

He is pursuing his capital interests, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

don't know...I listened to Dakich about 2 weeks ago after one of the 5 losses in a row, and he blistered the staff and the players...said it was the worst coaching he'd ever seen while watching IU basketball...

Now, I know Dakich wants listeners, and part of that is inciting his audience, but I'm pretty sure Coach Woodson isn't going to stand for some yokel saying stuff like that...

Did you feel like the coaching staff and players were playing up to standards? I sure as he'll didn't. My God, go back and look at the in game comments from the people on this board.

Many of us are fans. Never played for IU. Hell, many of us didn't even go to school at IU, and we feel invested and critical.

Dan played AND coached much of his life at IU. I think he's got a little more sweat equity in it, and has a right to be critical.

I'm not saying he's always right, but I feel like the only difference between his comments and most comments on this board are the fact that he says them on the radio.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Did you feel like the coaching staff and players were playing up to standards? I sure as he'll didn't. My God, go back and look at the in game comments from the people on this board.

Many of us are fans. Never played for IU. Hell, many of us didn't even go to school at IU, and we feel invested and critical.

Dan played AND coached much of his life at IU. I think he's got a little more sweat equity in it, and has a right to be critical.

I'm not saying he's always right, but I feel like the only difference between his comments and most comments on this board are the fact that he says them on the radio.

Listen to him on a show like on Sirius ESPNU with Mark Packer. He comes across as such a great guy… funny, engaging. Nothing like the condescending ass he is on his own show.

And regardless. If he’s a company man, keep the criticisms in house. He can’t help himself because he has to sell advertising 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

I know what you’re saying but I think it’s more than that.  If that’s what Dan did, I don’t think people would object at all.  It’s not the criticism.   It’s that he attacks people. He doesn’t just criticize a player, he belittles him, and he uses his platform to literally bully.  It’s not even deniable.

As for content, there are times where I agree with the substance.  But he has an erratic performance where his personal ego outweighs literally everything else.  That’s an oversized child.  Most people get over that after junior high.  You would need a psychologist to understand the why but it might be because he has been in the public eye via a high profile program with a ton of attention.  He contradicts himself, sometimes in the same paragraph, and is all over the place with his opinions.  As a whole, he doesn’t make a lot of sense.  

If he came on and were critical, that’s fine.  It’s a different issue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know what you’re saying but I think it’s more than that.  If that’s what Dan did, I don’t think people would object at all.  It’s not the criticism.   It’s that he attacks people. He doesn’t just criticize a player, he belittles him, and he uses his platform to literally bully.  It’s not even deniable.

As for content, there are times where I agree with the substance.  But he has an erratic performance where his personal ego outweighs literally everything else.  That’s an oversized child.  Most people get over that after junior high.  You would need a psychologist to understand the why but it might be because he has been in the public eye via a high profile program with a ton of attention.  He contradicts himself, sometimes in the same paragraph, and is all over the place with his opinions.  As a whole, he doesn’t make a lot of sense.  

If he came on and were critical, that’s fine.  It’s a different issue.

Will have to agree to disagree. I've never heard him "attack" anyone that hasn't "attacked" someone else.

I think he says things that a lot of people think, but don't say. And people think he's a bad guy for saying, despite thinking it themselves. 

Dan has invested a lot in IU, and frankly, the university hasn't really shown an appreciation and acknowledgement of that. Dan cleaned up IU and took the lashings when Sampson got fired. The administration put him in a shitty spot. Clean up the program. Well, in order to do that, wins were going to be sacrificed. He was the "bad guy" at the time when, looking bad, he should be applauded for having the balls to do the clean up job that he did. Instead, the administration treated him like an outcast and sent him on his way. He is still criticized from time to time for his "coaching" during that time. Folks, with the job he was given, coaching was the last thing on everyone's mind. He was put in a no win situation and took the brunt of it.

Edited by ephul
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ephul said:

Will have to agree to disagree. I've never heard him "attack" anyone that hasn't "attacked" someone else.

I think he says things that a lot of people think, but don't say. And people think he's a bad guy for saying, despite thinking it themselves. 

Dan has invested a lot in IU, and frankly, the university hasn't really shown an appreciation and acknowledgement of that. Dan cleaned up IU and took the lashings when Sampson got fired. The administration put him in a shitty spot. Clean up the program. Well, in order to do that, wins were going to be sacrificed. He was the "bad guy" at the time when, looking bad, he should be applauded for having the balls to do the clean up job that he did. Instead, the administration treated him like an outcast and sent him on his way. He is still criticized from time to time for his "coaching" during that time. Folks, with the job he was given, coaching was the last thing on everyone's mind. He was put in a no win situation and took the brunt of it.

Agree to disagree.  I don’t think you get it.  He says plenty of things anyone on here would agree with.  You’re not getting the point.  He absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt, makes ad hominem attacks on people.  It’s abnormal.  Whether he’s invested time in IU is irrelevant.  He’s got a screw loose.  I mean that literally.  He is an oversized child.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree to disagree.  I don’t think you get it.  He says plenty of things anyone on here would agree with.  You’re not getting the point.  He absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt, makes ad hominem attacks on people.  It’s abnormal.  Whether he’s invested time in IU is irrelevant.  He’s got a screw loose.  I mean that literally.  He is an oversized child.  

No, I "get it" just fine.

He has a radio show. He literally has to talk hours a day. Does he stir stuff up? Absolutely. It's his job. People listen every day just to pick a 5 second segment out of his show to whine and criticize what he said.

But I love people that act like he has some agenda against IU. The guy literally played and coached for a LONG time, AND was BEGGING the administration to hire Woody, or another former player. And when they hired Woody, soooo many of you whined and complained. But I guess since you posted your complaints on a message board, it makes them more righteous than when he complains on the radio.

He has an issue the way IU basketball has been treated by the school for the last several decades. He, dozens of former players, and thousands of fans do too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, it's for this reason I have no respect for Jockitch.  He was completely disrespectful of Woodson during that slide and if I were Woodson, I'd tell him to eff off after that kind of crap.  It's one thing to be critical and it's an entirely different thing to be the disrespectful ass that Jockitch was at that point.

No Dan, the worst coaching was when you took over Sampson's team (a good team with a lot of success that year) and won like one game the rest of the season, you effing door-dashing loser.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, it's for this reason I have no respect for Jockitch.  He was completely disrespectful of Woodson during that slide and if I were Woodson, I'd tell him to eff off after that kind of crap.  It's one thing to be critical and it's an entirely different thing to be the disrespectful ass that Jockitch was at that point.

No Dan, the worst coaching was when you took over Sampson's team (a good team with a lot of success that year) and won like one game the rest of the season, you effing door-dashing loser.

So what were the comments said that you found completely disrespectful?

2 minutes ago, ephul said:

So what were the comments said that you found completely disrespectful?

He was pretty direct that Woodson's coaching job was the worst he'd seen, which was over the top and disrespectful of what Woody is trying to build at IU.  It's one thing to be critical of errors you see, but Dan can't stop there.  He has to go hyperbolic and use words like "worst ever".  That's just ridiculous, childish and yes, disrespectful.  That's the kind of silliness I read here in the game threads that people often apologize for in the post game threads.  I expect that from online fans in the heat of the moment.  I don't expect that from a guy who holds himself out as a "professional" on a public broadcast.  That's just bush league.

If I were Woody, I'd replay those comments over the phone next time Dan called asking for him to come on his show.  I'd tell Dan if you're not man enough to say this to my face, I'm not stupid enough to waste time on your show.

I know you like Dan and are defending him here.  Hell, for all I know you could BE Dan.  I think it's sufficient to say that we'll not see eye to eye on this subject.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Galloway is the textbook definition of a glue guy.  Isn't going to light up the stat sheet in any one single department, but plays hard and has a knack for being in just the right place at just the right time.

Speaking of glue...we might need to get him in touch with Clifford Franklin for those end of game situations. 🤣

EoBO0l4XEAMal0h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ephul said:

No offense, but this really isn’t accurate at all, and it’s one of the issues that most people have with Dakich. Someone posted a rant of his on here a week or two ago, and he went after the players, their parents, and anyone else in their vicinity. He kicks people off his show all the time who simply don’t agree with his opinions, then belittles them, or at least he used to - i haven’t listened to him in years, but i can’t imagine he’s changed much. 

It’s not really complicated. You can make the same points he’s making in a much more respectful manner - he constantly goes for the lowest level of discourse. For example, there are disagreements all the time in this board, but you don’t see people calling each other morons, babies, or other names and whatnot, or attacking each other’s character. We’re having a disagreement on this subject and no one has had to stoop to that level to get their point across. As someone else noted, he’s a very different person when he’s not on his radio show, too - I was a big fan when he was doing color for ESPN, because he clearly knows the game and is good at teaching it to others. To me, that shows that he’s not “telling it like it is” when he acts like he does on his radio show, he’s just doing it for ratings. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

but isn't it okay to support a team and say they look good etc. when they do, but then also say they look bad when they do?  and i don't think Woodson can really do anything about what Dakich says.  

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

You didnt watch the interview? 

Yep. Sure did.

Dan is emotional about IU basketball, and has a right to be. Woodson is a grown ass man. He will be just fine.

Dan has criticized the coaching when it's bad and compliments it when it's good. I guess i don't get the hysteria for "going too far" when Dan says it's the worst coaching he's "ever seen". Obviously an exaggeration. We all exaggerate. All of us. He did it to prove a point that the coaching was piss poor at the time.

I can guarantee you Woody doesn't take it to heart and will be on Dakichs show soon. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ephul said:

Yep. Sure did.

Dan is emotional about IU basketball, and has a right to be. Woodson is a grown ass man. He will be just fine.

Dan has criticized the coaching when it's bad and compliments it when it's good. I guess i don't get the hysteria for "going too far" when Dan says it's the worst coaching he's "ever seen". Obviously an exaggeration. We all exaggerate. All of us. He did it to prove a point that the coaching was piss poor at the time.

I can guarantee you Woody doesn't take it to heart and will be on Dakichs show soon. 

Yeah, I don't know...

Coach Woodson has a little Bob Knight loyalty streak in him...

Can you imagine some radio yokel saying that about a Knight team then inviting him on his radio show?

X rated wouldn't have covered it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ephul said:

Yep. Sure did.

Could you IMAGINE if he did that to Knight? 

I think he's a tool man. Idk what to tell you. He isn't an IU first guy or close to it. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, ephul said:

Yep. Sure did.

How about calling Archie Miller 'lil Archie' for 4 years? You don't think that wasn't meant to be disrespectful, belittled and mock Archie at every turn?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

How about calling Archie Miller 'lil Archie' for 4 years? You don't think that wasn't meant to be disrespectful, belittled and mock Archie at every turn?

Plus the egregious crap he'd say about Blackmon and Romeo. Sorry Dan, you couldn't hold either of those guys jocks. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There's a lot more to that than Archie simply not winning.

I really don't care that Dan is a meanie sometimes. Some do. That's fine.

My point is, Dan has a little more leeway in my mind to criticize IU basketball than fans do. Dan watched the University that he put his heart and soul in for years just turn their back on former players and coaches. He watched them hire cheaters and do everything in their power to change the culture of IU. That'd piss me off too.