Iowa Post Game Thread

Drroogh

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Ball can only be scored as a bucket if you have a possession.  Refs took three key ones away that second half.  A key bucket at the end was waved off which shouldn't.

Exactly. 3 blown calls plus what should have been a tech on Fran. We were 8-10 points better, even with shooting like crap from 3. Future is bright, including the tourney.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

To me these were the problems were:

1) Outbounds call that went wrong way

2)Foul on Race when he was pushed over on the sceen

3) The charge called on TJD with very little contact and the other player having a foot by or in the jail. 

Stinks, these were horrible calls and gave, took points.  

I don’t think the refs cost us that game. They were not good today, but I didn’t feel like it favored one Iowa per se. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Ball can only be scored as a bucket if you have a possession.  Refs took three key ones away that second half.  A key bucket at the end was waved off which shouldn't.

are you talking about the charge on Trayce? Why do we think that was a bad call? 

Edited by KoB2011

I think there’s a lot to be said for the guys being tired at the end of the game. This was not the same kind of melt down that we saw during February. Galloway was gassed. So was Race. Galloway was out 6 games and then tried to play 3 in 3 days. Could have used JG in this one. Proud of the improvement I saw this year. Few players have grown on me like XJ has. I hope for future seasons, we can eliminate so many “what ifs”; there were so many this year. Seriously could have single digit losses. This is another game we should have won, but it feels like the corner has been turned. Hopefully, we’ll look back on this run as the time we climbed back into the elite. Still ups and downs to go, but maybe we’ll get there. I have more faith now than I did just a week ago. Let’s go snag a couple in the Dance, and finish laying the foundation. Go IU!!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The absence of Geronimo cannot be dismissed in this game. Would have given us an athletic defender against either Keegan or the younger McCaffrey. Hope he’s good to go next week 

You gotta think with Geronimo, we likely win this by 10+.  I don't think Keegan Murray goes off to the extent he did with Geronimo on him for a good portion of the game.

Also, we can play with anyone.  We were better than Iowa today, and they just put up 112 on Northwestern.  It took them a banked desperation three, and going 4/4 from three in the last 2 minutes to win this game.  I know they are a good shooting team, but that's just pure luck that they won. 

They are #2 in Kenpom on offense: I think we've got a good shot at making some noise in the tournament.  I really hope we get matched up with LSU.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

You gotta think with Geronimo, we likely win this by 10+.  I don't think Keegan Murray goes off to the extent he did with Geronimo on him for a good portion of the game.

Also, we can play with anyone.  We were better than Iowa today, and they just put up 112 on Northwestern.  It took them a banked desperation three, and going 4/4 from three in the last 2 minutes to win this game.  I know they are a good shooting team, but that's just pure luck that they won. 

They are #2 in Kenpom on offense: I think we've got a good shot at making some noise in the tournament.  I really hope we get matched up with LSU.

Knowing nothing about basketball from a coaching perspective, i though we helped off to much and left guys like Murry and Bohannon wide open way to many time.  I don't think we needed to double as much as we did against Iowa.  We should have just manned up and only switched when absolutely necessary. 

Also, if we drop a couple more WIDE open 3s from Kopp and Pstew, we break Iowa's back early in the second half.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Knowing nothing about basketball from a coaching perspective, i though we helped off to much and left guys like Murry and Bohannon wide open way to man time.  I don't think we needed to double as much as we did against Iowa.  We should have just manned up and only switched when absolutely necessary. 

Also, if we drop a couple more WIDE open 3s from Kopp and Pstew, we break Iowa's back early in the second half.

A couple RELIABLE three point shooters is all this team is missing currently from being a legit contender THIS year.

We've got the defense, we've got the point guard play, and we've got the low post play.  If Kopp and Stewart heat up in the tournament, watch out.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Knowing nothing about basketball from a coaching perspective, i though we helped off to much and left guys like Murry and Bohannon wide open way to man time.  I don't think we needed to double as much as we did against Iowa.  We should have just manned up and only switched when absolutely necessary. 

They run a great offense with 5 guys moving around constantly. They rub shoulders, turn corners etc.

It is not as simple as switching or staying on your guy.

It's like a police officer in pursuit of a bank robber in downtown traffic, and the traffic is on the bad guys side.

Easier said than done.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

They run a great offense with 5 guys moving around constantly. They rub shoulders, turn corners etc.

It's like a police officer in pursuit of a bank robber in downtown traffic, and the traffic is on the bad guys side.

Easier said than done.

sure but maybe just don't even leave Murry.  Give up the 2 vs the 3?

Super excited about next week, but frustrated again that we couldn’t put the game away with 9pt lead with 3:30 to play. We shouldn’t be in a position to let a prayer like that beat us. We are so close to being a really good team. Having said that look out because Sweet 16 here we come!

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Easier said than done.

We did a phenomenal job on Bohannon for the first 37 minutes. Absolutely phenomenal.

Iowa was kept in the game by the best scorer in the country getting a lot of points. Then they took advantage of some late lapses. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am pissed so going to just do one post for now because some good stuff happened this week.

Only thing I will say is that 1 of 2 things need to happen this summer (or both).  Our 1-3 guys HAVE to put up shots, lots of shots, from behind the arc so they are capable of hitting WIDE open 3's and/or we need to go find someone who can.  We win this comfortably if we hit half the wide open 3 looks we had in this game.

Not even going to name names.  I put it on every guard and small forward on the team.  It was the difference in the game.  It has been the difference in several games this year.

Man I fell your pain... Well honestly I have felt it in the past. But in this game.... I've no regrets, and nothing to hang our heads over. EVERYTHING(effort,energy, skill, want too, give a shit, attitude) minus 1 or 2 bounces, where right there for us to take.  Iowa is a dadgum dang good team. There's no shame today. But I can DAMN sure bet you, Big ten teams are taking notice of the Coach Mike MF'ing Woodson Hoosiers !  B1G... hold on for the ride !

• Like 1