First Four - Wyoming Pre Game Thread

02Hoosier

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Against Hastings college. But still that’s scary.  I don’t think we could do that against a high school team…28-54 against anybody is good. One guy hit 11..I think we let race and tjd play straight up and see how it goes at first.  

Yeah, that’s an NAIA school that went 7-23. 
Wouldn’t expect anything less against that kind of opponent 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Against Hastings college. But still that’s scary.  I don’t think we could do that against a high school team…28-54 against anybody is good. One guy hit 11..I think we let race and tjd play straight up and see how it goes at first.  

Interesting little data fact. Wyoming played 33 games so far this year so they average just under 24 3-point attempts per game. 13 times this year an opponent has taken 24 or more threes against Indiana. In the 13 games Indiana is 9-4 with losses to Northwestern (we were down 6 players), Purdue (We lost by 2), Iowa (Big ten tourney game lost by 3) and Syracuse in 2OT. 
TBH we do well against teams that jackup 3s. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And it said in article that Hastings only had 7 players due to COVID

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

This is the first time I can remember (I'm 35) where the team is playing its best heading into the tournament.

The only other team I felt good about going into the tournament was Cody Zeller's first year.  I think if we hadn't met UK in the Sweet 16, we'd have gone all the way that year.

Being 32 I feel about the same way. I felt  pretty good Yogis senior year as well but knew North Carolina would be tough. I did feel better Cody’s freshman year than sophomore, maybe the expectation wasn’t as much but they were playing very well. 

47 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, that game was a massive outlier.

Taking a look at their box scores, it's common to see a stat line of something like 7-22 from three.

They tend to score in the 60s most of the time as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DWB said:

It's a lot easier to do with no one running at you and threatening to hit you in your berries....

Knight always said putting up shots without pressure is useless.

Makes me wonder why IU doesn't practice contested threes.  That would provide closeout reps as well as more realistic three point attempts.  I can't see why that wouldn't be beneficial.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, while we should have been a 12 all along, Wyoming was supposed to be an 11.  I'm not too upset on how it turned out considering we got St. Mary's as a 5.  It's probably the 2nd best draw from the 5/6 line behind 6th seeded LSU.

image.png.a7f22095b7b61da47e2f56dd8406a4c1.png

So if I'm understanding this correctly we should have been an 11, correct?

We switched with Rutgers, who is an 11... and ND/Rutgers switched seeds with us/Wyoming. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I’m interested in the officiating as well. How we adjust to either a tighter/more strict game or with a little more flow if they let them play and get away with a little more. We need to avoid foul trouble with who they have down low. 

I would expect less allowed by neutral refs than what the B1G does, with less puzzling calls. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Makes me wonder why IU doesn't practice contested threes.  That would provide closeout reps as well as more realistic three point attempts.  I can't see why that wouldn't be beneficial.

What makes you think they don't?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I am sure they do. Yesterday was all about getting feel for the new arena. Lots of shots up. 

• Like 1

IMO, it's pretty clear that some of these guys are having issues mentally in games with open shots, particularly Parker and Rob. It's like Jon Lester not being able to throw to first or Ben Simmons from the foul line in the playoffs last year and whatnot. The form is there, they are getting good shots, so there's something between the ears that's causing them to miss, and that can be difficult to fix once it gets dug in.

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

IMO, it's pretty clear that some of these guys are having issues mentally in games with open shots, particularly Parker and Rob. It's like Jon Lester not being able to throw to first or Ben Simmons from the foul line in the playoffs last year and whatnot. The form is there, they are getting good shots, so there's something between the ears that's causing them to miss, and that can be difficult to fix once it gets dug in.

PS has been plagued for the past several games. Having a hard time understanding why Leal hasn't had any playing time. His defense is at least as good as PS, and if he hits 33% from 3, that's 33% more than PS has hit over the last few games.

But I'm not there to see him practice either. Just my 2¢

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

And people question X as a leader. Kid has a big heart. 

Yea, when the kids threw him that first pass I thought those boys will never forget that. But then X threw one over to them to pass back. That put a big ole lump in my throat. I remember my complete admiration of the IU players at that age. That was a great video. 

• Like 6