First Four - Wyoming Pre Game Thread

02Hoosier

41 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Yea, when the kids threw him that first pass I thought those boys will never forget that. But then X threw one over to them to pass back. That put a big ole lump in my throat. I remember my complete admiration of the IU players at that age. That was a great video. 

X keeps getting more and more interesting to me. Hard nosed, confident floor general, plays with an edge and a chip on his shoulder, but he’s got depth of character as well. 

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My kids growing up had some great moments with several of the IU players during both the Sampson time but mostly during Creans tenure. On of my favorite was at Haunted Hall and Ayden was 3 or so and wearing a muscle suit dressed up as John Cena with his Title belt. We were sitting front row during the practice and after a nasty dunk from VIC, he ran over picked Ayden up holding the belt and held him over his head. My wife went to give VIC a high five and he grabbed her hand and kissed it. Lots more stories of so many great men that have played for our Hoosiers and this is just 1 of them. Memories that will last forever. 

My mom was in the Cleveland clinic and she had a tumor on her pituitary gland in her brain and one in her stomach that burst. While she was there Jared Jeffries was there getting a physical for pre draft stuff for the cavs. Him and this huge bodyguard walked by and my grandma stopped him and asked him for an autograph and he wrote “To Kellen, best wishes, your friend, Jared Jeffries…”I have it framed in my basement. He walked probably 50-100 feet to desk to find something to sign for me and it’s only on a Cleveland clinic pamphlet. Turned a terrible experience that day into one I’ll never forget.  It was right after our final four run. 

Edited by Hoosierfan1215
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

My mom was in the Cleveland clinic and she had a tumor on her pituitary gland in her brain and one in her stomach thy burst. While she was there Jared Jeffries was there getting a physical for pre draft stuff for the cavs. Him and this huge bodyguard walked by and my grandma stopped him and asked him for an autograph and he “ To Kellen, best wishes, your friend, Jared Jeffries…”I have it framed in my basement. He walked probably 50-100 feet to desk to find something to sign for me and it’s only on a Cleveland clinic pamphlet. Turned a terrible experience that day into one I’ll never forget.  It was right after our final four run. 

Thanks for sharing. Its so much more than just a love for Indiana Baksetball that binds us all. Sounds crazy but its one big dysfunctional family

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Oh, big whoop!  Crean used to drain long 3's during warmups all the time...🤣

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Crean ever played college ball, not even sure about HS ball either...

It seems as though when Arizona blew these guys out, they used swarming defense to create turnovers and got out and ran. I think we showed that we can do the same in the 2nd half of the Michigan game - hope Galloway and Geronimo get some early run together and see if we can make them feel the heat.

• Like 5

We have to value possessions this game. With the style and tempo both teams typically play with one turnover may feel more like 2 with a limited amount of possessions. From what I have watched the past couple days (maybe 2 hours of stuff) it seems Maldonado really is like a point forward and gets them in their sets. Some isos as well and a lot of high low. I think Jordan is our matchup for him when possible.  They can shoot too. At this point almost every team can beat who they play sans a few of the higher seeds. The difference between a 4-12 seed in most cases is not super big. As someone said earlier I think maybe hurrying them up and trying to push the pace a little may be in our best interest. Don’t let them get comfortable. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

What makes you think they don't?

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am sure they do. Yesterday was all about getting feel for the new arena. Lots of shots up. 

I'm not talking about practice.  I've never seen them do that in pre-game warmups.

I'd be shocked if they didn't do that in practice.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

I'm not talking about practice.  I've never seen them do that in pre-game warmups.

I can only speak to what I have done and what I have seen. During warm ups you want confidence and relaxation. Get a little groove going. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I can only speak to what I have done and what I have seen. During warm ups you want confidence and relaxation. Get a little groove going. 

...and I get that.  My mind just wonders sometime if warming up with the kind of shot you'll actually get in a game would be more useful.  Just a thought.

Does beating Wyoming make the season a success regardless of what happens next?  Is just getting to this point already enough to make it a success? They are playing in the tournament. They won 20 games. By all measures they improved and I want to say it is a success. But a loss tonight would really tarnish it, in my opinion.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We talkin about Practice?  Practice?  There's the game and there's Practice!  Practice!  Man, we talkin about Practice. Ain't the game.  Practice.  We talkin about Practice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Does beating Wyoming make the season a success regardless of what happens next?  Is just getting to this point already enough to make it a success? They are playing in the tournament. They won 20 games. By all measures they improved and I want to say it is a success. But a loss tonight would really tarnish it, in my opinion.

In my opinion I would be disappointed because I know we can win tonight. 2 weeks from now maybe I would feel better about the season. I think we accomplished a lot in righting the ship and getting things in a positive direction.  A win tonight would solidify us being in the tournament, but a loss wouldn’t make the season a complete failure. We showed that we got better as a team at the end of the year and showed some resilience and leadership. I think winning our first two games would be about where I think/thought we should/could be. 

Edited by Hoosierfan1215
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

We have to value possessions this game. With the style and tempo both teams typically play with one turnover may feel more like 2 with a limited amount of possessions. From what I have watched the past couple days (maybe 2 hours of stuff) it seems Maldonado really is like a point forward and gets them in their sets. Some isos as well and a lot of high low. I think Jordan is our matchup for him when possible.  They can shoot too. At this point almost every team can beat who they play sans a few of the higher seeds. The difference between a 4-12 seed in most cases is not super big. As someone said earlier I think maybe hurrying them up and trying to push the pace a little may be in our best interest. Don’t let them get comfortable. 

Let me start off by saying, I had never heard of this Maldonado kid before Sunday, so I won't pretend to know how his game translates, but I look at all of the transfers in and out of the BIG this past year. You get a lot of mid-major stars coming in and averaging 6ppg when they get to the big time. Then you get a kid like Loyer, who sat the bench for MSU for 3 years, and is all of a sudden the leading scorer on 10th seed Davidson. I think the lesson there is most of these mid-major kids are just outclassed by power conference players.

These kids spend their time in the gym too, so they could hit shots and obviously upsets happen all the time in March, but if we come to play and they don't shoot out of their minds, I think we win this comfortably.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Let me start off by saying, I had never heard of this Maldonado kid before Sunday, so I won't pretend to know how his game translates, but I look at all of the transfers in and out of the BIG this past year. You get a lot of mid-major stars coming in and averaging 6ppg when they get to the big time. Then you get a kid like Loyer, who sat the bench for MSU for 3 years, and is all of a sudden the leading scorer on 10th seed Davidson. I think the lesson there is most of these mid-major kids are just outclassed by power conference players.

These kids spend their time in the gym too, so they could hit shots and obviously upsets happen all the time in March, but if we come to play and they don't shoot out of their minds, I think we win this comfortably.

Great points for sure. 

• Like 1