First Four - Wyoming Pre Game Thread

02Hoosier

Just now, HoosierDom said:

These kids spend their time in the gym too, so they could hit shots and obviously upsets happen all the time in March, but if we come to play and they don't shoot out of their minds, I think we win this comfortably.

From watching both practices last night, I would say that the big things are exactly what you have listed here. We definitely will have a physical advantage, so we need to knock down some shots and watch out for their ball movement. 

Maybe I am off my rocker, but from what I saw I am more worried about them shooting outside shots than dominating us on post-ups.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Does beating Wyoming make the season a success regardless of what happens next?  Is just getting to this point already enough to make it a success? They are playing in the tournament. They won 20 games. By all measures they improved and I want to say it is a success. But a loss tonight would really tarnish it, in my opinion.

In my opinion, if the Hoosiers win tonight the season will be a success regardless of what happens next. My only exception would be if they played terrible/don't show up next game, but I don't see that happening at this point. Certainly, I think they are capable of winning 2+ games in the tourney, but I said at beginning of season if CMW gets in the tourney this season, it would be a success for the team, so I will stand by that.

Having said all that....let's shock the NCAA world and make it to the final four!! Let's Go Hoosiers!!

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the season is already a success...we've met the one goal that really mattered...making the field of 68, right?

Beside that, as someone else said earlier, we beat Purdue, we beat Illinois...Michigan, Ohio State...we we competitive in all but a couple of games...our players improved for the most part, and our recruiting was solid...

So we've met expectations this year, and the future looks bright as well...

That's where I'm at. Before the season started all I wanted was to make the tourney. We have. Now I don't blame folks for getting a little greedy....it's what fans do....but we've beaten several quality teams, recruiting is going good to great....and program is definitely on the way up headed into the offseason. 

It's been 5+ years since we could say that. 21-22 has been a success. 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Does beating Wyoming make the season a success regardless of what happens next?  Is just getting to this point already enough to make it a success? They are playing in the tournament. They won 20 games. By all measures they improved and I want to say it is a success. But a loss tonight would really tarnish it, in my opinion.

I don't look at it as "success" so much as it is a building block.  Our reputation has taken a severe beating the past 10 years.  It is why a 20 win Indiana team barely squeaked into the tournament while a 17 win Michigan team was solidly in.  I am here to tell you that if you reverses those records and schedules, there would not have been excuses made about strength of schedule.  We would have been on the outside looking in.  "Yeah, you had a strong schedule but you have to actually win those games..."

Michigan is in this year because of what they have done over the past 10.  In order to start changing that narrative, you HAVE to make the tournament.  So I think doing that is holding serve.  Success would have been handling a little more business over the course of the year and winning more of those close games.  Success in the tournament to me would be at least round of 32 but maybe a Sweet 16 appearance at this point.

We have to sell our future right now.  "I took a program that missed 5 tournaments in a row to the Big Dance in year one.  I did that even though we had some deficiencies on the roster."  We aren't winning a title this year, but this year can be a foundation to a title down the road.  

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't look at it as "success" so much as it is a building block.  Our reputation has taken a severe beating the past 10 years.  It is why a 20 win Indiana team barely squeaked into the tournament while a 17 win Michigan team was solidly in.  I am here to tell you that if you reverses those records and schedules, there would not have been excuses made about strength of schedule.  We would have been on the outside looking in.  "Yeah, you had a strong schedule but you have to actually win those games..."

Michigan is in this year because of what they have done over the past 10.  In order to start changing that narrative, you HAVE to make the tournament.  So I think doing that is holding serve.  Success would have been handling a little more business over the course of the year and winning more of those close games.  Success in the tournament to me would be at least round of 32 but maybe a Sweet 16 appearance at this point.

We have to sell our future right now.  "I took a program that missed 5 tournaments in a row to the Big Dance in year one.  I did that even though we had some deficiencies on the roster."  We aren't winning a title this year, but this year can be a foundation to a title down the road.  

Good points. Truly, these players are simply learning what "success" is at the college level. It's incremental and cumulative, and to your point, will help with the aura of a program that belongs rather than aspires and dreams.

I absolutely feel this season is/will be viewed as a success though, simply because we are now on the side of winning. Building that will attract more winners who want and expect to win. Instilling that expectation cannot be understated; it's huge in so many ways.

Comparing where we were to where we are? That's success.

I feel pretty good... and man, it's nice to be excited about the tournament once again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think the season is already a success...we've met the one goal that really mattered...making the field of 68, right?

Beside that, as someone else said earlier, we beat Purdue, we beat Illinois...Michigan, Ohio State...we we competitive in all but a couple of games...our players improved for the most part, and our recruiting was solid...

And let's not forget our 2 best bench players were out with injuries for ½ the season...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Let me start off by saying, I had never heard of this Maldonado kid before Sunday, so I won't pretend to know how his game translates, but I look at all of the transfers in and out of the BIG this past year. You get a lot of mid-major stars coming in and averaging 6ppg when they get to the big time. Then you get a kid like Loyer, who sat the bench for MSU for 3 years, and is all of a sudden the leading scorer on 10th seed Davidson. I think the lesson there is most of these mid-major kids are just outclassed by power conference players.

These kids spend their time in the gym too, so they could hit shots and obviously upsets happen all the time in March, but if we come to play and they don't shoot out of their minds, I think we win this comfortably.

That's a good point, but sometimes you have some really good players at small schools & mid-majors that no one has heard of until they have a breakout in the NCAAT. Wyoming just isn't going to get much coverage

When Rick Majerus was at Utah, I recall him saying that their radio signal reached more sheep than people.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

I think you can watch here.... https://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/watch

I want to say there's a fire stick NCAA March Madness app too where you can watch that way.  Guessing the same thing on Roku, AppleTV, etc.  

You need a cable subscription.  I signed up for one month of Sling and got a free 4K Chromecast all for $35.

https://www.sling.com/deals?classification=us&plan=one-month-pre-pay&device=google-chromecast&ats=rs-dvr-3000&footer=true

Edited by dbmhoosier