NCAA Tournament

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Zags are off to the sweet 16

7 straight years 😳

When you play a tough Non Con and then a cake walk conference they are almost a 1 seed and since their conference is super weak, they don't wear their players down.   They wouldn't be this good year over year playing in a solid conference

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Dawg Bawls said:

Not that they didn't play hard but they're hard isn't like some of these other teams playing hard it's just not in the same category. Not saying that they didn't try, they did , I get that ....but it's not the same level is all I'm saying.... oh and hit open shots and bunnies ... ugh 🙂

You can't have the defensive ranking we had this year without playing hard.  Defense like we played is about effort for the most part.  They just could not shoot to save their lives.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I just realized that Purdouche has a cake walk to the final 4 with all these losses in the East.  Texas doesn’t have the size to match them I don’t think.  I’m going to puke…..

Texas has a ton of athletes though.  I won't be shocked if Texas pulls it out.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Stat of the Day: Chris Beard is 2-0 vs. Purdue in the NCAA Tournament, and Beard’s team was the lower (worse) seed both times.

Was just coming to post this. I think Purdue wins but Beard is just a good coach. Curious what the plan will be to get Edey or Ivey in trouble because he's a D first guy.

Really good slate of games today with conference ties, regional games, and of course our old buddy starting things off vs the Illini. Houston's guards should be able to defend Frazier/Plummer pretty well....all comes down to the big guys on both sides. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was just coming to post this. I think Purdue wins but Beard is just a good coach. Curious what the plan will be to get Edey or Ivey in trouble because he's a D first guy.

Really good slate of games today with conference ties, regional games, and of course our old buddy starting things off vs the Illini. Houston's guards should be able to defend Frazier/Plummer pretty well....all comes down to the big guys on both sides. 

I think if Purdue sticks with going inside to Edey and Trevion they'll be fine...

But Texas has 3 or 4 guys that match up well with Ivey and their other shooters defensively.

If Ivey tries to take over the game, like he is sometimes wont to do, I think Purdue could get in trouble...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think if Purdue sticks with going inside to Edey and Trevion they'll be fine...

But Texas has 3 or 4 guys that match up well with Ivey and their other shooters defensively.

If Ivey tries to take over the game, like he is sometimes wont to do, I think Purdue could get in trouble...

Maybe it's a national problem but watching Gonzaga last night miss free throw after free throw keeping Memphis in the game reminded me of Purdue a few times this year. Missing the free one's send teams packing. We'll see what happens today.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Besides Ivey, Williams sometimes gets stuck in that mode too.  The Boilers need those two to be focused.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Pretty sure no team has won a championship with a kenpom defense ranking above 35? We know they're D is gonna let them down at some point. All it takes is one hot team and bad offense for 10 minutes.

Some more numbers: In the Kenpom era (20 years), only 3 teams have made the Final Four without a top 50 defense: 2003 Texas (58th), 2003 Marquette (109th), and 2011 VCU (78th). None of them reached the final game. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rico said:

Besides Ivey, Williams sometimes gets stuck in that mode too.  The Boilers need those two to be focused.

True...Trevion at his best is screening and passing out of the post, or scoring when he has an advantageous position or matchup...at his worst he forces the action...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Loved the interview from the St Peters coach. 

"Only have to better then the team we are playing today"... talking about the unqiueness of the win or go home of the tournament. 

Its Shaheen Holloway, right?  I remember him as a guard for Seton Hall, I believe in the 1990s.  He was a highly touted player who was a really good (and smart) college point guard.  He was a pretty big name as a player in those days.  

• Like 2