NCAA Tournament

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Well we know that's not happening, at least not anytime remotely soon. 

Even if it did, in recent years UCLA and Oregon have made the Final Four and Arizona has been to several Elite 8's. 

But again, I see zero benefit to IU's direct competitors making the Final Four or winning a title. 

I'd be perfectly fine with IU being the Kansas of the Big Ten. IU needs to take care of their own house, get back to prominence and who cares about the others! 

Just my opinion on the topic and I do understand where you're coming from as well. 

I'm not a conference honk at all. Maybe decades ago but every single school in our conference took their jabs, mocked us,etc....after Sampson and during first few years of Crean. I won't ever forgive or forget. Now if they do well cool...but I won't be cheering for them. 

I can't believe other IU fans don't have the seething hate for Purdue I have...

Don't you remember Scott May's broken arm at the hands of the Boiler thugs that cheated us out of a title in 75?

The hanky-panky in the mid 90s?

The Haarms over the back on Juwan Morgan?

The temerity of the Purdue commercial stating Indiana was their state?

Maybe I shouldn't be too concerned with Purdue winning it's 5th overall NCAA championship of any kind, men's or women's, including cheerleading for Christsakes, but they're little brother, and I want them to stay little brother for all eternity...

You see the way they wave the 1932 Helms banner around like it's a validation of basketball greatness...can you imagine a real, no shit, guaranteed not to tarnish championship? 

Their fans would make Kentucky's look like George Gobel!

Nope...never 😉

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for letting me use you as a prop to clean up my image real quick. Just joking. Kind of. 

I'm all kinds of hypocritical on this "subject" lol

First and foremost.. simply speaking as a coach, its not uncommon for a coach to console a losing opponent after a rivalry/ending of a season... obviously as a coach, we've had that same feeling that Kennedy was going through... 

So truly, if it was innocent and JH wasn't viewing it as a publicity stunt.. then good on him. 

The hypocritical part for me comes into play with I am SO over seeing this image, but I also want more positive things portrayed, as well.. ya know? 

I get being annoyed by it for sure. Idk. My thoughts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Don't you remember Scott May's broken arm at the hands of the Boiler thugs that cheated us out of a title in 75?

Maybe I shouldn't be too concerned with Purdue winning it's 5th overall NCAA championship of any kind, men's or women's, including cheerleading for Christsakes, but they're little brother, and I want them to stay little brother for all eternity...

You see the way they wave the 1932 Helms banner around like it's a validation of basketball greatness...can you imagine a real, no shit, guaranteed not to tarnish championship? 

Nope...never 😉

They can't win unless they're shooting like 30 more free throws than the other team, which is probably going to stop in the elite eight.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nope...never 😉

This is funny though, yeah? :)

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't get the belly aching about the foul discrepancy. From what I watch Purdue is pounding in the post every single time getting doubled and triple teamed and hack a shaqqed and they made them pay the price.

Actually boy genius didn’t double much or press….he let Tre waltz into the lane for 10-13.  
this was not reffed like a Big Ten game….there was actual freedom of movement 

sasha hasn’t had a big game in a month….dislocated finger from Badger game bothering him?

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm all kinds of hypocritical on this "subject" lol

First and foremost.. simply speaking as a coach, its not uncommon for a coach to console a losing opponent after a rivalry/ending of a season... obviously as a coach, we've had that same feeling that Kennedy was going through... 

So truly, if it was innocent and JH wasn't viewing it as a publicity stunt.. then good on him. 

The hypocritical part for me comes into play with I am SO over seeing this image, but I also want more positive things portrayed, as well.. ya know? 

I get being annoyed by it for sure. Idk. My thoughts. 

Wow, that is confusing. I think you typed out your internal debate there.  🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nope...never 😉

Been going to Mackey since 1977.

I have never heard a Purdue fan brag about the stupid 1932 title 

You hear the most Big Ten titles mantra….neat 

you hear the winning record against every big ten school screed too…cool

In reality Purdue has 3 National Championships….ever!  
I think we recently passed University of Chicago in big ten titles 

you would also hear only 7 schools don’t subsidize athletics including Purdue…the other 6 are football powers

18 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Actually boy genius didn’t double much or press….he let Tre waltz into the lane for 10-13.  
this was not reffed like a Big Ten game….there was actual freedom of movement 

sasha hasn’t had a big game in a month….dislocated finger from Badger game bothering him?

The collapse, swat swarm is what I was referencing in the post.  It was like foul by committee.  I also only watched about 20 minutes of the game so take my opinion for what it's worth which is nothing.

I understand the hatred for Purdue, and I get it. I hate them…. But not with the everlasting hatred, burning with the heat of 1000 suns, as many of us living in the Southern part of the state who have to deal UK fans hate. There is nothing worse than seeing Indiana license plate with KY frames, or even KY slogans. I was behind a car on I265 that had Indiana plates that just said “Cayuts”. Not sure about those in Evansville area, but those in the Louisville metro have to deal with UK constantly. Since IU has been mediocre at best for 20 years, and KY has been a winner, many young people wear KY gear. My neighbor across the street flies a big blue flag in his yard.Greentree Mall in Clarksville had a store called Kentucky Korner, and very little IU gear is sold in our malls/stores. And there have been plenty reasons to hate them more  over the years;

Also 1975

Joe B Hall

Racist Adolph Rupp

Jim Masters, James Blackmon, and many other Indiana- born players who went there

Alford’s charity poster suspension 

Cal

Cal refusing to play is anymore

the 99-65 debacle when UK could have won by 80 points 

the arrogant dismissal of it as no longer a rivalry 

“Casual Gamer Reed”

Ashley Judd

much more lol

Edited by Rev_AK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Been going to Mackey since 1977.

I have never heard a Purdue fan brag about the stupid 1932 title 

You hear the most Big Ten titles mantra….neat 

you hear the winning record against every big ten school screed too…cool

In reality Purdue has 3 National Championships….ever!  
I think we recently passed University of Chicago in big ten titles 

you would also hear only 7 schools don’t subsidize athletics including Purdue…the other 6 are football powers

Gleaned from Black and Gold Illustrated after a simple search...

"Back to the Helms Foundation championships... it's interesting to note that, for decades, they were the only recognized arbiter(?) to bestow the "National Championship" title on a program. In fact, to this ay even storied, blue-blood programs like Kansas recognize their Helms Championships." 

"To  be fair, there was no tournament in 1932. Do Notre Dame's or Alabama's mythical football championships no longer count since there is now a playoff?"

" Purdue's Helms banner is legit" 

" North Carolina and Kansas count theirs and hang their Helms right with their NCAA banners."

I've been on IU basketball forums in one form or another since 1997 or so...and most were infested with Purdue fans that wanted to debate the relative merits of their program vs our, and while any rational person could take a millisecond to decide that hilarity, the vaunted Helm Banner was always the " Holy Grail" of their argument...

49 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I'm pulling for Houston now. They play the right way and have a great coach. 

I find myself pulling for them as a team and a coach who is a good coach. I'll never forgive he set in motion our university giving itself the death penalty for a parking ticket....but I love watching teams compete and play hard all 40. Houston does that. If that game was another 5 minutes Houston wins by 30. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The reality is that Purdue was always the team from the Big Ten most equipped to go deep in the tournament.  To deny that is letting some bias creep into your judgment.

Are they getting a break in the first game of the Sweet 16?  Certainly.  But, they took care of business in the first two rounds where other high seeds faltered.

The Big Ten has been mediocre again in the tournament this year.  8 and 9 bid years are going to be a thing of the past with that type of performance.  The worst thing that can happen to the conference right now is that somehow Purdue loses to St. Peters.

I hope both Purdue and Michigan win next round.  After that, I hope Purdue loses in Elite 8 and Michigan makes Final Four.

In 2002 we got a few breaks to get to the final four since we had to beat the 12,13,1,10

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Nope...never 😉

What happened in the mid-90's? I was "alive, but not aware" at that time. I can faintly remember the end of the Knight era, but nothing before then. 

Totally agree on everything else. 

2 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

I understand the hatred for Purdue, and I get it. I hate them…. But not with the everlasting hatred, burning with the heat of 1000 suns, as many of us living in the Southern part of the state who have to deal UK fans hate. There is nothing worse than seeing Indiana license plate with KY frames, or even KY slogans. I was behind a car on I265 that had Indiana plates that just said “Cayuts”. Not sure about those in Evansville area, but those in the Louisville metro have to deal with UK constantly. Since IU has been mediocre at best for 20 years, and KY has been a winner, many young people wear KY gear. My neighbor across the street flies a big blue flag in his yard.Greentree Mall in Clarksville had a store called Kentucky Korner, and very little IU gear is sold in our malls/stores. And there have been plenty reasons to hate them more  over the years;

Also 1975

Joe B Hall

Racist Adolph Rupp

Jim Masters, James Blackmon, and many other Indiana- born players who went there

Alford’s charity poster suspension 

Cal

Cal refusing to play is anymore

the 99-65 debacle when UK could have won by 80 points 

the arrogant dismissal of it as no longer a rivalry 

“Casual Gamer Reed”

Ashley Judd

much more lol

This is where I am. Grew up in the thick of UK country, so there is no greater hatred for me. I’m an IU fan first and then whoever is playing UK. I don’t despise Matt Painter or Purdue, but I didn’t grow up in IN either. I’m sure it all depends on where you are from. Did I say I hate UK? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Gleaned from Black and Gold Illustrated after a simple search...

"Back to the Helms Foundation championships... it's interesting to note that, for decades, they were the only recognized arbiter(?) to bestow the "National Championship" title on a program. In fact, to this ay even storied, blue-blood programs like Kansas recognize their Helms Championships." 

"To  be fair, there was no tournament in 1932. Do Notre Dame's or Alabama's mythical football championships no longer count since there is now a playoff?"

" Purdue's Helms banner is legit" 

" North Carolina and Kansas count theirs and hang their Helms right with their NCAA banners."

I've been on IU basketball forums in one form or another since 1997 or so...and most were infested with Purdue fans that wanted to debate the relative merits of their program vs our, and while any rational person could take a millisecond to decide that hilarity, the vaunted Helm Banner was always the " Holy Grail" of their argument...

It should count for something but…

it’s not a tournament win 🏆 

none of us were alive…

Edited by Purdue7