NCAA Tournament

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It takes every ounce of integrity I have not to vandalize a car with Indiana plates that has UK crap on it.  It's very, very hard.

A few years ago I did walk up to a co-worker who had the UK crap on her car and said "I just came from the parking lot and it looked like someone vandalized your car"

After she panicked and settled down enough to ask me what was done to it, I told her that someone stuck a UK bumper sticker on it.

She didn't laugh.

The amount of UK personalized plates I see in the New Albany area probably outpaces IU ones. I’d personally like to see them out law Indiana Plates with references to out of state schools, lol. That, and getting rid of daylight savings time would be bipartisan issues we could all get behind!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

The amount of UK personalized plates I see in the New Albany area probably outpaces IU ones. I’d personally like to see them out law Indiana Plates with references to out of state schools, lol. That, and getting rid of daylight savings time would be bipartisan issues we could all get behind!!

Kentucky started gaining young fans in Indiana in the mid 1990's when they started winning again and became cool. This happened as Indiana fell off a cliff after 1994 and became a dying program. Even South Indianapolis is full of them.

It's like Patton said: 'America loves a winner and will not tolerate a loser'.

Actually, Kentucky fandom in the Hoosier state goes back alot further than that. Several Mr Basketball’s from the state went to play there, and I know this is a partial list. Kyle Macy, Jim Master, and Roger Harden were a few, and other notable in-state players who played at UK rather than for Coach RMK, that I can think of, include Walter McCarty, James Blackmon, and more recently “Ketchup” guy, and I’m sure many more. This really stoked the rivalry in the late 70’s/ early 80’s, and cheering for UK grew on a lot of Hoosiers during that time. They are one of the winningest programs of all time, so it makes sense.

Anecdotally, members of my own family became fans of UK when Adolph Rupp took a “stand” against desegregating teams in the mid 60’s. This made me hate them even more, ( if possible) but, as I said, that is opinion an based on things I heard in my own family and may be a bit of a stretch, although Rupp’s racism is documented.

Edited by Rev_AK
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Actually, Kentucky fandom in the Hoosier state goes back alot further than that. Several Mr Basketball’s from the state went to play there, and I know this is a partial list. Kyle Macy, Jim Master, and Roger Harden were a few, and other notable in-state players who played at UK rather than for Coach RMK, that I can think of, include Walter McCarty, James Blackmon, and more recently “Ketchup” guy, and I’m sure many more. This really stoked the rivalry in the late 70’s/ early 80’s, and cheering for UK grew on a lot of Hoosiers during that time. They are one of the winningest programs of all time, so it makes sense.

Anecdotally, members of my own family became fans of UK when Adolph Rupp took a “stand” against desegregating teams in the mid 60’s, and when I was a kid, seeing an older person on this side of the river wearing a UK hat seemed to make a certain statement, at least to my young eyes. This made me hate them even more, ( if possible) but, as I said, that is opinion an based on things I heard in my own family and may be a bit of a stretch, although Rupp’s racism is documented.

Louie Dampier

• Like 3

On 3/21/2022 at 3:28 PM, 5fouls said:

It takes every ounce of integrity I have not to vandalize a car with Indiana plates that has UK crap on it.  It's very, very hard.

A few years ago I did walk up to a co-worker who had the UK crap on her car and said "I just came from the parking lot and it looked like someone vandalized your car"

After she panicked and settled down enough to ask me what was done to it, I told her that someone stuck a UK bumper sticker on it.

She didn't laugh.

Was she one of your ex's?

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Something to keep an eye on this week for Purdue. They are 3-14 over the past few years when Courtney Green officiates their games. Only ref I found where Purdue has a losing record.

Guess who just happens to be in the ref pool this week in Philly? 

I still bet on the Boilers.  4-14.

• Like 2