NCAA Tournament

13 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Sampson definitely would've won at least one title.  He was rolling before being ousted.  Had some talent lined up with Terrell Holloway, Devin Ebanks, Bud Mackey, Matt Roth, Lance Stephenson and probably one of Yancy Gates/Kevin Jones coming in 2008-09.  I know he had Ray McCallum Jr coming in the following class.  He also already had Jordan Crawford, Jamarcus Ellis, Armon Bassett, Eli Holman, DeAndre Thomas, Brandon McGee and Kyle Taber in the fold.  Sucks what happened but is what it is.  Cool to see Houston winning again.

Sampson is a great coach on the court and IU was stupid and naive for turning themselves in, which was basically unprecedented and unmatched “logic.”  

Having said that, he has no one to blame but himself. He didn’t get it.  He didn’t understand where he was and not reading that is 100% on him.  

Being a good coach is more than X’s and O’s and this is Exhibit A.   If he understood the job, there is nothing that would have prevented him from winning a title.  IU didn’t screw him over.  IU didn’t make him run the program as he did.  He did it to himself and that’s part of his record.  

You can’t divorce it from his on court coaching. It all goes together with that guy.  

55 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Sampson definitely would've won at least one title.  He was rolling before being ousted.  Had some talent lined up with Terrell Holloway, Devin Ebanks, Bud Mackey, Matt Roth, Lance Stephenson and probably one of Yancy Gates/Kevin Jones coming in 2008-09.  I know he had Ray McCallum Jr coming in the following class.  He also already had Jordan Crawford, Jamarcus Ellis, Armon Bassett, Eli Holman, DeAndre Thomas, Brandon McGee and Kyle Taber in the fold.  Sucks what happened but is what it is.  Cool to see Houston winning again.

For the record, Mackey would have never played for IU. He was busted for selling crack while still in HS after he committed. That was a bit too much even for Sampson.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sampson is a great coach on the court and IU was stupid and naive for turning themselves in, which was basically unprecedented and unmatched “logic.”  

Having said that, he has no one to blame but himself. He didn’t get it.  He didn’t understand where he was and not reading that is 100% on him.  

Being a good coach is more than X’s and O’s and this is Exhibit A.   If he understood the job, there is nothing that would have prevented him from winning a title.  IU didn’t screw him over.  IU didn’t make him run the program as he did.  He did it to himself and that’s part of his record.  

You can’t divorce it from his on court coaching. It all goes together with that guy.  

My thoughts on Sampson are that i wish the university has retained him but had a real come to Jesus kind of discussion and powered through it with some major guidelines in place.  Maybe they tried that, maybe they didn't but i would really have liked that to have worked out for us.  Doesn't seem to have the same issues anywhere he has gone since.  Maybe he did learn his lessen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My thoughts on Sampson are that i wish the university has retained him but had a real come to Jesus kind of discussion and powered through it with some major guidelines in place.  Maybe they tried that, maybe they didn't but i would really have liked that to have worked out for us.  Doesn't seem to have the same issues anywhere he has gone since.  Maybe he did learn his lessen.

We'd been through one "Zero Tolerance" scenario before, and that didn't work very well...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Musselman is a phenomenal coach.  Major kudos to that guy.  Arkansas is a formidable program with him.  Calipari must be nervous because those are two programs passing each other in the night.  

My fear is that Musselman gets the vault thrown at him by UK and he ends up there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My fear is that Musselman gets the vault thrown at him by UK and he ends up there.

Good call.  I was trying to think of which big school could come calling and that would make sense.  That’s where they once got Eddie Sutton. 

Arkansas has Wal-mart money but they can’t offer the Kentucky profile.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree with everything you said. I also think a team who wants to play in the deep end can also take deep end criticism. Few has been protected nationally....but maybe someone should ask why is it you guys go 30-2 every year yet never get over the hump after 5 or 6 tries? 

My bias is personal. Family from out there jokes about IU. I'm just returning the stuff. 

No doubt he could answer some tougher questions for sure. Heck even the dui stuff got glossed over. Just not sure on the schedule what they can realistically do about the schedule. Maybe some mid-season matchups out of conference instead of early season but most teams aren’t going out of conference in February and March.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Jim Nantz REALLY wants Duke to win.  

And the only reason I put Duke to win it all in one bracket is just because to protect this swan song by Coach K. Glad I did....because after last night the only chance I have in any of my brackets is if Duke/Kansas match up for title.

Gonzaga/Arizona took a flamethrower to my stuff.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good call.  I was trying to think of which big school could come calling and that would make sense.  That’s where they once got Eddie Sutton. 

Arkansas has Wal-mart money but they can’t offer the Kentucky profile.  

If it happen at least we know the IU/UK game would be back on. Musselman loves Assembly Hall and his Dad/Coach Knight have a long history before EM's Dad died.

Revisionist history is so fun. I knew there was a reason I wanted EM before Archie. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If it happen at least we know the IU/UK game would be back on. Musselman loves Assembly Hall and his Dad/Coach Knight have a long history before EM's Dad died.

Revisionist history is so fun. I knew there was a reason I wanted EM before Archie. 

That was a good call.  I’m hoping Woodson does great, and I think he can, but EM would be a home run.  I think he turned over his roster quite a bit and just keeps winning.  

There is a long, mobile, positionless feel there that I think Woody wants too. Which I think is good.  Imagine in a couple of years we are running with guys like Newton, Hood Schifino, Gunn,  Banks (just as one example) and a 5 who can run the floor.  It might look a lot closer to what Arkansas is doing.  And that’s effective.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Musselman is a phenomenal coach.  Major kudos to that guy.  Arkansas is a formidable program with him.  Calipari must be nervous because those are two programs passing each other in the night.  

As far as coaching and play wise Pearl, Barnes and Mussleman have passed him. As the conference gets stronger with competitive teams at LSU and Alabama on top of the ones I’ve already mentioned will wear on Cal. All he has is his recruiting and that’s even slipping.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That was a good call.  I’m hoping Woodson does great, and I think he can, but EM would be a home run.  I think he turned over his roster quite a bit and just keeps winning.  

There is a long, mobile, positionless feel there that I think Woody wants too. Which I think is good.  Imagine in a couple of years we are running with guys like Newton, Hood Schifino, Gunn,  Banks (just as one example) and a 5 who can run the floor.  It might look a lot closer to what Arkansas is doing.  And that’s effective.  

Can't wait because we all know that's exactly what Woodson is trying to bring. Just going to take some time to flush things out a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

As far as coaching and play wise Pearl, Barnes and Mussleman have passed him. As the conference gets stronger with competitive teams at LSU and Alabama on top of the ones I’ve already mentioned will wear on Cal. All he has is his recruiting and that’s even slipping.

That conference is way better then some want to admit!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

That conference is way better then some want to admit!

I've got about Big 10 schools covered with friends and family. One theme that's been pretty consistent in the last two weeks is this. How hard other teams play, size and athleticism of their players and ultimately how good the coaching staffs at Houston, Tech, Arkansas,etc...all are.

Not here to bash the Big 10 but maybe we need to check our arrogance at the door until our conference gets back routinely to the F4. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I've got about Big 10 schools covered with friends and family. One theme that's been pretty consistent in the last two weeks is this. How hard other teams play, size and athleticism of their players and ultimately how good the coaching staffs at Houston, Tech, Arkansas,etc...all are.

Not here to bash the Big 10 but maybe we need to check our arrogance at the door until our conference gets back routinely to the F4. 

Yeah, never understood the B1G talk. Its evident our product can't win the in the tournament. 2 of 9 get to the Sw16? 

Longer, quicker athletes. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

didn't he get smacked with a 5 year show clause from the NCAA? I dont see how IU could have retained him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

😅

After the game they were interviewing Mark Few (who's done a tremendous job, IMO) and he was crowing about how Gonzaga held on to the #1 position longer than the other teams that would lose shortly after getting the top spot.  I had to shake my head at that - maybe there's a reason for that, Mark?

I have to add that I was quite impressed with Holmgren.  One would expect his scrawny build and gangliness to put him at a major disadvantage against great opponents, but he really took over in the second half (until fouling out).  I wonder how high a pick the NBA would take him at this point in his development.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

didn't he get smacked with a 5 year show clause from the NCAA? I dont see how IU could have retained him.

We self reported. You don’t self report, there is no show clause. In light of all that’s happened with other big time schools sticking by their coaches and their cheating scandals…this was a “nothing burger.” The trajectory of the program changed forever 14 years ago. No question, we would’ve won a title or two. Whether you like it or not, Kelvin Sampson is a HOF coach. 

Edited by Hoosier987

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

We self reported. You don’t self report, there is no show clause. In light of all that’s happened with other big time schools sticking by their coaches and their cheating scandals…this was a “nothing burger.” The trajectory of the program changed forever 14 years ago. No question, we would’ve won a title or two. Whether you like it or not, Kelvin Sampson is a HOF coach. 

He just shouldn't have been hired by Indiana. I agree, he's excellent. 

• Like 1