NCAA Tournament

To be successful in the tournament, you need your bigs to do these things:

- Be enough of a rim protector to at least force drivers to alter their shot

- Be able to switch and be effective on defense at the 3,4,5 positions

- Be enough of a threat from outside that it forces defenders to leave the lane if you catch it outside the post area

It's nice if you have a big that's good at the post up game, but, imo, it's not a high priority anymore.

This is also, consequently, the complete antithesis of how most teams play their bigs in the Big Ten, and, at least imo, why the conference underperforms in the tournament.

Not to pile on Purdue here, but Painter's fascination with uber tall big men who can't do anything on the above list besides protect the rim is a prime contributor to the conference's, and by extension Purdue's, weakness in the tournament.  Their style, and success at it within the Big Ten, forces other teams to construct their rosters to combat it night-in and night-out in the conference schedule.  Purdue isn't the only guilty party in this, but they are the most egregious.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Unbelievable to me that there are a lot of Boiler faithful screaming for Painter's scalp...

I despise Purdue, but if they think they can get a better coach than Matt in there, well good luck...

I honestly think he gave Ivey too much latitude, but he's a solid coach and runs a good program... 

Be careful what you wish for...

I think it's the fact that they know what Purdue ceiling is, good regular season but flames out in the tourney. Painter has been there 17 years and has one Elite Eight thanks to Carsen going off. When you have gone 40 plus years without a Final Four and no National Championship, Helms lol, it is understandable that frustration is setting in.

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Unbelievable to me that there are a lot of Boiler faithful screaming for Painter's scalp...

I despise Purdue, but if they think they can get a better coach than Matt in there, well good luck...

I honestly think he gave Ivey too much latitude, but he's a solid coach and runs a good program... 

Be careful what you wish for...

Barring some unforeseen violation I think Painter is a lifer at Purdue.

Edit:  I should have added unforeseen health issues.

Edited by rico
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do too, but didn't he entertain going to Mizzou a few years back? 

I think if the right program came calling, he'd seriously consider it...

Coaches these days entertain any job offer to get pay raises from their current employer.  LOL

Perhaps.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I keep seeing people begging for a 7 footer. Bigs don't win in the big dance. The big ten doesn't win in the big dance... I hope Woody builds a roster full of 6'4-6'8 guys who can shoot and are above average athletes. 

I would like to see us long and quick all over the floor.  Kind of like Arkansas.  I think the best part is I think that’s what Woody wants.  He’s got the portal and a lot of schollies to shape us into that form.  We’ve seen schools like Arkansas and Texas Tech continue their success even with considerable roster turnover.  

With Woodson’s NBA background, I bet that’s exactly on his mind.  

I have been saying this for a couple of months.  I want 6 new roster additions.  I honestly think that’s where this is headed.  I wouldn’t even rule out 7.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Houstons a 2pt favorite over Nova? 

Holy cow. They should not have been a 5 seed. 

Not that I mine one bit because of the carnage they've left in their wake but when brackets came out I told my Illini buddies you got screwed. I believe Houston should be the favorite from what I've seen. Can't wait for that game honestly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would like to see us long and quick all over the floor.  Kind of like Arkansas.  I think the best part is I think that’s what Woody wants.  

Thats how I want the Hoosiers to be. The 7ft slow lumbering players like Edey are players i hope Coach Woodson stays away from. Also that might be why Durr is transferring, he just doesn't fit the style coach wants to play. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

image.gif.e7f8f5e86dabee27d08900d977cc4d75.gif

Man I felt for you last night. Watching that game was painful. Ala watching an IU game and p!ssing away a game they should win. Interested in what you saw. I saw a lot of people blaming Ivey and not pounding it inside but honestly thought they should have let Ivey initiate the offense and run pick n roll in the center of the court with him and Travion and Edey rolling to the basket like IU does with XJ and Trayce. He could of tossed oops up to them all game or if they didn’t hedge hard he would get his man on his hip and either get to the rim at ease or hit Sasha and Hunter and Gillis for threes if the defense collapsed. St Peters press was running a good 10-12 seconds off the shot clock on you guys and you couldn’t really take your time and do your usual post/repost stuff and run all your sets for open looks. What was your opinion?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hope everyone is noticing that in these games, there are guys who are taking big, tough shots. You have to do that and I think/hope we will have more guys willing to do that going forward. Let JHS and Bates go wild. 

"Slow it down, set something up" .... no, get a defensive rebound, get a ball screen... and lets go!!! 

If you're open, let it fly!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"Slow it down, set something up" .... no, get a defensive rebound, get a ball screen... and lets go!!! 

If you're open, let it fly!

That's what I enjoy about Houston. Their offense starts when the opposing team shoots because they know their getting the board and looking to transition quickly if it's there. If not...start over....but over a normal game it seems like they get 15-20 points just on board to outlet to numbers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what I enjoy about Houston. Their offense starts when the opposing team shoots because they know their getting the board and looking to transition quickly if it's there. If not...start over....but over a normal game it seems like they get 15-20 points just on board to outlet to numbers.

We get very few easy points because of inabilities at the wing and lack of a back up PG. 

I see it, how you see it. 

Houston shoots 1% better from 3 then we do. But, they shoot, on average 6 more a game.

Our coaching staff knows all of this. We had to play this season with the hand we are dealt, obviously Woodson isn't fine with the roster make up... w/4 already gone. 

12-20ft shots that are open are useless when you should be getting open 3s. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I wonder how much has to do with the conference being weak as a whole this year and not getting beat up every night?

I just think the ACC has more elite teams that can regularly make a run. Duke and UNC are better basketball programs then anyone in the B1G. 

Syracuse+UL would be below us.. but they would be above everyone else in the league. 

And I just think Jim Laranaga (idk how to spell his name).. is a really good coach. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Man I felt for you last night. Watching that game was painful. Ala watching an IU game and p!ssing away a game they should win. Interested in what you saw. I saw a lot of people blaming Ivey and not pounding it inside but honestly thought they should have let Ivey initiate the offense and run pick n roll in the center of the court with him and Travion and Edey rolling to the basket like IU does with XJ and Trayce. He could of tossed oops up to them all game or if they didn’t hedge hard he would get his man on his hip and either get to the rim at ease or hit Sasha and Hunter and Gillis for threes if the defense collapsed. St Peters press was running a good 10-12 seconds off the shot clock on you guys and you couldn’t really take your time and do your usual post/repost stuff and run all your sets for open looks. What was your opinion?

I agree they probably should’ve done more pick and roll stuff. In all of our losses there’s really been one common denominator: turnovers. We also shot like shit in the tournament from 3 in all 3 games which sucked. We beat ourselves WAY too much this year for the simple fact that we were way too careless with the ball. Holding a team to 67 isn’t bad defense, hell they shot less than 40% from the field. 

Turnovers/being careless cost us a B1G title, a B1G tournament title, and a trip to the E8. Beyond frustrating. 

• Like 1