NCAA Tournament

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I hate to sound like Scott, but I think some of our fans may be to blame for that and some of our other problems.

Our fans reaction to the Fife firing and the XJ non-situation has been eye-opening; elite programs don't react the way our fans have. 

I have no idea if Woody will be the long-term guy or not, no one does, but some of our fans are almost rooting against him after a year over some really dumb things. 

I don't give a rats behind about the XJ incident. That's baby stuff compared to other programs. Were there guns? Drugs? DUI? No? Then the ones who want him gone can GTFO  The fan base is naive and frankly, grandma like. 

I want Woodson to succeed. I think he can. But this program, the administration and the fan base is stuck in 1987. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

I don't give a rats behind about the XJ incident. That's baby stuff compared to other programs. Were there guns? Drugs? DUI? No? Then the ones who want him gone can GTFO  The fan base is naive and frankly, grandma like. 

I want Woodson to succeed. I think he can. But this program, the administration and the fan base is stuck in 1987. 

Preach

5 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I agree with you on all of that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the big ten problem is these type of players don't want to play the big ten style of basketball

They don't, but do you blame them?

We should be rooting for teams like Michigan to succeed along with us if we want to see the conference join the 21st century. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

We should be rooting for teams like Michigan to succeed along with us if we want to see the conference join the 21st century. 

The thing about UM is that I think Houston and Diabetes can compete in this style but Dickerson and their guards couldn't.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we are off to a good start with Bates, JHS, Banks and Newton.  I also think Cupp will be a good steady point guard who hopefully can be like Gillespie of Villanova. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think we are off to a good start with Bates, JHS, Banks and Newton.  I also think Cupp will be a good steady point guard who hopefully can be like Gillespie of Villanova. 

Agreed. I think we have the right idea for how we are building the roster. 

1 minute ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

This intensity and athleticism across the board is insane.. only IU team(s) that I think could compete pace wise in this game is the 2015-2017 roster… 

I hope you are just talking about recent IU teams because some of RMK best teams played with pace

Agree that we need an upgrade in talent.

Do not agree that this style of play is the end all, be all.

KU was horrible the first half and shot as badly as we did this season.

UNC has played out of control this half, taken terrible shots, turned the ball over, and given up a 15 point lead.

Villanova made it to the Final Four playing a style of ball very similar to B1G play. They very well could be playing tonight had they not lost one of their key players.

Talent on the floor is much better, but different styles can win

On 4/4/2022 at 9:46 PM, Jackson Kellogs said:

Man… this game is just shows me how far behind we are… the intensity and speed of this game from both sides is just on a whole other level.. we’re light years away. 

We have to recruit with and for the big boys, no more playing around. IU is going the direction of targeting elite recruits nationwide,   pitching the NBA connections of Woody, targeting  guys from IMG and Montverde, going all in with NIL.  That said, it is very possible Woodson/IU is not successful but I don't believe the old school approach will get you to the Final Four on a regular basis anymore.  Most of the current coaches in the Big Ten are proving that.  Painter etc. were really cocky about getting old, staying old, taking  no transfers, etc. but at the end of the day those programs can't run the table in the tournament. Eventually they run into teams stocked with NBA talent and lose. The guys on the Final Four teams are athletic, can handle the ball and shoot. The Wisconsin/Purdue type teams have really good role players that know system well but very few NBA level guys. They are very well coached, do really good in conference, win 25 games but usually can't get over the hump against the elite teams. 

Big Ten has only won 3 NC's in the last 40 years.  Everyone talks about IU "dusty banners" but IU has the third most recent NC in the Big Ten which is only two years behind the second most recent - U of M in '89. 

Long story short, if you want IU to succeed and play for Championships, you have to get on board with them going after big time recruits, not copying the Wisky/PU approach (as of now). 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2