NCAA Tournament

Doing a little analysis this morning and here's how I break down the major conference performances so far in the tournament. I've always measure success based on wether or not a team validates their seed not based on the fan expectations. I view 8/9 seeds in the first round and 4/5 seeds in the second round as a push. I'm also considering the play in games as a push but you could argue losing that game as underachieving. So with that, here's how it breaks down:

image.png.56383ee6b246ffb44ff6c4934614d045.png

Iowa and Wisconsin were the 2 big let downs from the Big10 and watching Bohannon and Davison flame out was fine by me.

• Like 4

The reality is that Purdue was always the team from the Big Ten most equipped to go deep in the tournament.  To deny that is letting some bias creep into your judgment.

Are they getting a break in the first game of the Sweet 16?  Certainly.  But, they took care of business in the first two rounds where other high seeds faltered.

The Big Ten has been mediocre again in the tournament this year.  8 and 9 bid years are going to be a thing of the past with that type of performance.  The worst thing that can happen to the conference right now is that somehow Purdue loses to St. Peters.

I hope both Purdue and Michigan win next round.  After that, I hope Purdue loses in Elite 8 and Michigan makes Final Four.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s certainly a big gap but I feel like Texas took a ton of jumpers, didn’t have a true low post option, and their biggest regular was the size of Mason Gillis. That was always going to be an uphill battle against Edey and Tre. Texas once against shot significantly better than their season average from 3 until they had to start chucking late in the game. That kept them in it until the end. 

I don't get the belly aching about the foul discrepancy. From what I watch Purdue is pounding in the post every single time getting doubled and triple teamed and hack a shaqqed and they made them pay the price.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't get the belly aching about the foul discrepancy. From what I watch Purdue is pounding in the post every single time getting doubled and triple teamed and hack a shaqqed and they made them pay the price.

I don’t disagree haha. Texas legitimately didn’t have a post guy and took jumpers all day long. Shit we fouled them on a 3 late!

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The reality is that Purdue was always the team from the Big Ten most equipped to go deep in the tournament.  To deny that is letting some bias creep into your judgment.

Are they getting a break in the first game of the Sweet 16?  Certainly.  But, they took care of business in the first two rounds where other high seeds faltered.

The Big Ten has been mediocre again in the tournament this year.  8 and 9 bid years are going to be a thing of the past with that type of performance.  The worst thing that can happen to the conference right now is that somehow Purdue loses to St. Peters.

I hope both Purdue and Michigan win next round.  After that, I hope Purdue loses in Elite 8 and Michigan makes Final Four.

I'm hoping both teams get knocked out next round. The B1G needs to fix a lot of things and getting embarrassed in the NCAAT with flame out after flame out might be the only way changes happen.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I just want Purdue to lose… lol I don’t need another reason 

Because I live smack in the heart of the obnoxious powder blue fan base, I'd rather see PU in the final 4 than UNC. For the time being, I'm a huge UCLA fan which makes me feel dirty and ashamed also 😔

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Because I live smack in the heart of the obnoxious powder blue fan base, I'd rather see PU in the final 4 than UNC. For the time being, I'm a huge UCLA fan which makes me feel dirty and ashamed also 😔

I get it. I live in Ohio so I would rather see Purdue win it than Ohio State and their fair weather basketball fans that act like they only care when osu is good and otherwise can’t tell me one player on the team. That annoys the hell outta me. Football they can tell me what the players had for dinner when they were 9 years old, but osu makes a run in the tournament and they act like they have watched more than the 2 games they have seen that year.  

This talk of the tourney being a disaster for the BIG is a bit silly. DPU did a good job of breaking it down above. Put another way, the seeds predicted we would win 1 game in the play in round: we won one game in the play in round. Seeds predicted we would win 6 games in the first round: we won 6 games in the first round. Seeds predicted we would win 3 games in the second round, and we only won 2 games in the second round. It hasn't been a great tournament for us, but it's been just about what should have been predicted.

This year's performance, even it actually was bad, will not influence how many teams we get in next year. There is no evidence it has ever worked that way, and lots of evidence that it is does not. As it should be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Want to revisit this one? Big Ten isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire, the only team to make it out of the first weekend may be an 11 seed. 

Why would the Big Ten sucking make me want to revisit the fact that the SEC is sucking?

My point was the SEC has been bad. And they have.

Ohio St et al losing does not negate that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t disagree haha. Texas legitimately didn’t have a post guy and took jumpers all day long. Shit we fouled them on a 3 late!

You can spin that narrative all you want but the fact is that both teams scored 28 points in the paint. Did Texas take some bad, poorly timed jumpers? Yes. But that doesn't mean that they weren't also getting in the paint. Marcus Carr was getting to any spot on the floor he wanted. 46-12 free throw discrepancy, regardless of the style of play, should never happen.

• Like 1

I have no issue with Purdue winning some games in the tournament as long as they dont win it all.  Absolutely can't have that.

Whe Belien was coaching Michigan, I would root for them as long as it did not negatively impact IU.  These days, I'm more indifferent.  I'll root for them as a Big Ten team, and would not be upset if they won it all.  It would be a good thing for the conference to break through and get another. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I have no issue with Purdue winning some games in the tournament as long as they dont win it all.  Absolutely can't have that.

Whe Belien was coaching Michigan, I would root for them as long as it did not negatively impact IU.  These days, I'm more indifferent.  I'll root for them as a Big Ten team, and would not be upset if they won it all.  It would be a good thing for the conference to break through and get another. 

Very much where I am at.  

I am fine with Purdue winning one more game. 2 at the most.

Michigan. Go represent the conference. Good luck. But I am not passionate about it.

I wish OSU survived. I am less icky cheering for them a bit.

• Like 2

I honestly don't really care about the other teams in the conference or when the last time the conference won a title was. 

I want IU to win. I want IU to reclaim its position as the premier program in the conference.

I don’t see how Michigan or Purdue winning a title or going to a Final Four helps that?

I'd have no problem if every other Big Ten team lost in the first round. I'm interested in IU getting our crap together, winning conference titles and going on deep March runs. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I honestly don't really care about the other teams in the conference or when the last time the conference won a title was. 

I want IU to win. I want IU to reclaim its position as the premier program in the conference.

I don’t see how Michigan or Purdue winning a title or going to a Final Four helps that?

I'd have no problem is every other Big Ten team lost in the first round. I'm interested in IU getting our crap together, winning conference titles and going on deep March runs. 

The Big Ten becoming the Midwestern version of the Pac 12 and only getting 3 teams in the tournament in the future is not good for IU.  And, yes I know 2 of those 3 made the Sweet 16.  But still....

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Big Ten becoming the Midwestern version of the Pac 12 and only getting 3 teams in the tournament in the future is not good for IU.  And, yes I know 2 of those 3 made the Sweet 16.  But still....

Well we know that's not happening, at least not anytime remotely soon. 

Even if it did, in recent years UCLA and Oregon have made the Final Four and Arizona has been to several Elite 8's. 

But again, I see zero benefit to IU's direct competitors making the Final Four or winning a title. 

I'd be perfectly fine with IU being the Kansas of the Big Ten. IU needs to take care of their own house, get back to prominence and who cares about the others! 

Just my opinion on the topic and I do understand where you're coming from as well. 

• Like 2