NCAA Tournament

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never, never, never again with Gonzaga. 4x they've been 1 seed in last 5 tourneys and nada. I have family in Seattle, a cousin who went to Gonzaga....always talking. Good to great program but right now they are nothing more than a Wisconsin. 

2 final fours and 5 sweet 16's aren't bad.  I'll take that the next 5 years at IU

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

2 final fours and 5 sweet 16's aren't bad.  I'll take that the next 5 years at IU

Sure....but we aren't a comparable comparison right now. Few is a legend though. I mean he's the single greatest coach outside of K in the last decade. 

Coach Knight used to have a saying. Players get you to the Final 4. Coaches win it from there. 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never, never, never again with Gonzaga. 4x they've been 1 seed in last 5 tourneys and nada. I have family in Seattle, a cousin who went to Gonzaga....always talking. Good to great program but right now they are nothing more than a Wisconsin. 

It’s very hard for any college team to stay focused and win 6 games in a row. Sometimes you run into a buzzsaw and sometimes you go cold. Last year they had a much much better team…just Baylor had a night to remember. I mean if a team of Zion, Barrett, and Reddish plus all the other talent Duke had a couple years ago couldn’t even make a final four it just shows how hard it is to win it all. Knight winning 3 is a testament to his coaching obviously. Heck the guy we all wanted to coach us never won a NC. Just made two finals. Few and that program do a great job…I wouldn’t be surprised they win it all in a few years and people will say that wasn’t even one of their top 3 teams they’ve had.

Like Purdue this year. Wouldn’t be shocked at all to see them win it all given how the tournament is playing out and it wouldn’t even be a top 5 Purdue team of all time. Gotta catch some breaks and survive some bad games and play enough good ones to win 6.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

It’s very hard for any college team to stay focused and win 6 games in a row. Sometimes you run into a buzzsaw and sometimes you go cold. Last year they had a much much better team…just Baylor had a night to remember. I mean if a team of Zion, Barrett, and Reddish plus all the other talent Duke had a couple years ago couldn’t even make a final four it just shows how hard it is to win it all. Knight winning 3 is a testament to his coaching obviously. Heck the guy we all wanted to coach us never won a NC. Just made two finals. Few and that program do a great job…I wouldn’t be surprised they win it all in a few years and people will say that wasn’t even one of their top 3 teams they’ve had.

Agree with everything you said. I also think a team who wants to play in the deep end can also take deep end criticism. Few has been protected nationally....but maybe someone should ask why is it you guys go 30-2 every year yet never get over the hump after 5 or 6 tries? 

My bias is personal. Family from out there jokes about IU. I'm just returning the stuff. 

• Like 3

I ask this in all seriousness.  Is there a better pure basketball coach in college basketball than Kelvin Sampson?  I'm saying take all the other stuff out of the equation.  If he's not in your top 5, I would like to see your list.

And, yes, I understand we don't want him at IU for very valid reasons.  But, the dude can coach the game.  

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sure....but we aren't a comparable comparison right now. Few is a legend though. I mean he's the single greatest coach outside of K in the last decade. 

Coach Knight used to have a saying. Players get you to the Final 4. Coaches win it from there. 

You would put Few over Jay Wright or Roy Williams in that time?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I ask this in all seriousness.  Is there a better pure basketball coach in college basketball than Kelvin Sampson?  I'm saying take all the other stuff out of the equation.  If he's not in your top 5, I would like to see your list.

And, yes, I understand we don't want him at IU for very valid reasons.  But, the dude can coach the game.  

I think nailing a top 5 would be hard, because there’s more than 5 great coaches at the moment, but he is in the upper echelon of coaches for sure. Phenomenal coach. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah, I think if things would have gone differently and he would have worked out at IU, we would have been to a couple final fours and maybe even a championship.

Just to be clear...I'm not advocating for him as IU coach either, but I do shake my head when I see Houston play in tourney over what could have been.

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not sure who I would pick if I had to bet on someone remaining in the tourney.  Thought it was the Zags but man they look awful.  Hell it might be Purdue honestly.

I don't think I know a single Purdue fan who would agree with you. lol

When I filled out my bracket this year, I had no clue who I was going to pick to win it all. That's how much parity there is thi year. I just picked teams until I reached the final. I went with Gonzaga for some reason. I'm not sure why; maybe I just wanted to try something different. I had never picked them before. 

After watching Texas Tech and Duke, zero chance Gonzaga would have beaten either team next round. 

26 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yeah, I think if things would have gone differently and he would have worked out at IU, we would have been to a couple final fours and maybe even a championship.

Just to be clear...I'm not advocating for him as IU coach either, but I do shake my head when I see Houston play in tourney over what could have been.

Sampson definitely would've won at least one title.  He was rolling before being ousted.  Had some talent lined up with Terrell Holloway, Devin Ebanks, Bud Mackey, Matt Roth, Lance Stephenson and probably one of Yancy Gates/Kevin Jones coming in 2008-09.  I know he had Ray McCallum Jr coming in the following class.  He also already had Jordan Crawford, Jamarcus Ellis, Armon Bassett, Eli Holman, DeAndre Thomas, Brandon McGee and Kyle Taber in the fold.  Sucks what happened but is what it is.  Cool to see Houston winning again.