NCAA Tournament

6 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

We self reported. You don’t self report, there is no show clause. In light of all that’s happened with other big time schools sticking by their coaches and their cheating scandals…this was a “nothing burger.” The trajectory of the program changed forever 14 years ago. No question, we would’ve won a title or two. Whether you like it or not, Kelvin Sampson is a HOF coach. 

Will Wade, Sean Miller and  2011-2015 Rick Pitino and Louisville says hi including the 2013 championship that was vacated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I've got about Big 10 schools covered with friends and family. One theme that's been pretty consistent in the last two weeks is this. How hard other teams play, size and athleticism of their players and ultimately how good the coaching staffs at Houston, Tech, Arkansas,etc...all are.

Not here to bash the Big 10 but maybe we need to check our arrogance at the door until our conference gets back routinely to the F4. 

This is 100% correct.  I was texting my Arkansas cousin last night and he is ecstatic.  He’s a casual fan and I complimented their coach.  Arkansas has a stealthy good basketball history.   Won the title in  the mid 1990s but they have had some good teams.  The late 70s teams come to mind.  Anyone recall the “triplets?”   

• Like 1

Sampson’s undoing had more to do with the off the court issues and classroom struggles of the players. That is what cost him the job. He had a chance to survive the phone calls hit the off the court issues where too much and rightfully so. He is an excellent coach and no doubt would have won a lot of games and had IU at the top of the big ten. Not sure the fan base could keep looking the other way on all of the other stuff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

That conference is way better then some want to admit!

It’s getting there for sure! It will only get better and better as the SEC ADs continue to invest in all their sports with these coaching hires and sports complexes etc. The talent in the south is already extremely good from an athlete stand point. I think it will hurt the ACC more than us but we will find it very difficult I think to pull kids out of the south in the coming years imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Will Wade, Sean Miller and  2011-2015 Rick Pitino and Louisville says hi including the 2013 championship that was vacated

Self reported phone calls reported by self-righteous individuals don’t compare to actual criminal behavior investigated by the FBI which is what these schools and coaches were doing.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Self reported phone calls reported by self-righteous individuals don’t compare to actual criminal behavior investigated by the FBI which is what these schools and coaches were doing.

Got it. Cheating is okay. As long as you don’t get caught 👌🏼

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I’ll end with this….are you really that naive? 

apparently you can’t have a conversation without personal attacks.

You are minimalizing the whole situation. It wasn’t 1 phone call. It was 100’s. On top of failed academics. With drug dealers and actual pimps (rumored).

If someone ever cheats you, I hope it’s only a little bit 100’s of times. Maybe just HJ’s. Cuz that’s not as bad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

10 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

apparently you can’t have a conversation without personal attacks.

You are minimalizing the whole situation. It wasn’t 1 phone call. It was 100’s. On top of failed academics. With drug dealers and actual pimps (rumored).

If someone ever cheats you, I hope it’s only a little bit 100’s of times. Maybe just HJ’s. Cuz that’s not as bad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

No personal attacks. Sorry if you felt that way…not my intention. 

There’s a lot about those Sampson years that people think they know, especially us fans, of how it played out. As Sampson continues to win and we see former IUBB players like Stemler, Gordon and White cheer him on - I hope it causes some pause the way us fans think happened, because it isn’t so necessarily black and white….and I think that has begun.

Edited by Hoosier987

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

No personal attacks. Sorry if you felt that way…not my intention. 

There’s a lot about those Sampson years that people think they know, especially us fans, of how it played out. As Sampson continues to win and we see former IUBB players like Stemler, Gordon and White cheer him on - I hope it causes some pause the way us fans think happened, because it isn’t so necessarily black and white….and I think that has begun.

Listen. I am with you….. if it were only a couple phone calls. But it was 100’s. That is blatant disregard. If it were only the academics. If it were only the possible drug dealing or whatever else. It was a combination thereof. It was a huge systematic failure with everything off the court. 
I think Sampson dug his own grave by providing false information and got a 5 year show clause. What was IU supposed to do with that. 

8 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

After the game they were interviewing Mark Few (who's done a tremendous job, IMO) and he was crowing about how Gonzaga held on to the #1 position longer than the other teams that would lose shortly after getting the top spot.  I had to shake my head at that - maybe there's a reason for that, Mark?

I have to add that I was quite impressed with Holmgren.  One would expect his scrawny build and gangliness to put him at a major disadvantage against great opponents, but he really took over in the second half (until fouling out).  I wonder how high a pick the NBA would take him at this point in his development.

Like top 3