NCAA Tournament

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We get very few easy points because of inabilities at the wing and lack of a back up PG. 

I see it, how you see it. 

Houston shoots 1% better from 3 then we do. But, they shoot, on average 6 more a game.

Our coaching staff knows all of this. We had to play this season with the hand we are dealt, obviously Woodson isn't fine with the roster make up... w/4 already gone. 

12-20ft shots that are open are useless when you should be getting open 3s. 

What I’d give to find a kid that had Yogi’s ability to bring the ball up at full speed, stop on half a dime and drain a pull-up 3.

Watching him do that was poetry in motion. Opposing players knew how quick he was, and he turned it around on them. Get them going in one direction and be able to stop quicker than them…you just created your own open 3. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

What I’d give to find a kid that had Yogi’s ability to bring the ball up at full speed, stop on half a dime and drain a pull-up 3.

Watching him do that was poetry in motion. Opposing players knew how quick he was, and he turned it around on them. Get them going in one direction and be able to stop quicker than them…you just created your own open 3. 

Oh he just changed everything, man. Our spacing was so good. I yearn for it. 

I dont think its out of the question that XJ+JHS > YF+JH (YF as a FR). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just think the ACC has more elite teams that can regularly make a run. Duke and UNC are better basketball programs then anyone in the B1G. 

Syracuse+UL would be below us.. but they would be above everyone else in the league. 

And I just think Jim Laranaga (idk how to spell his name).. is a really good coach. 

Agree with you for sure.

It think if you look at raw talent UNC and duke have it. look at the state of their programs and they have it. Obviously raw talent isn’t the end all be all, but watching some(not all) of these games it’s very obvious which players can take it to the next level so to speak. You may not get the best game every night from Duke or UNC, but when they are on they are tough to beat. 

Miami used transfers to retool their entire team at the guard spot they are top notch. Guards win in the NCAA tournament. Working the transfer portal is more important now than recruiting high schoolers honestly, you are getting men instead of boys and in some cases they are more mentally mature and ready which is a bigger help than physically. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Oh he just changed everything, man. Our spacing was so good. I yearn for it. 

I dont think its out of the question that XJ+JHS > YF+JH (YF as a FR). 

In terms of an overall backcourt, agree. For all his good qualities, Hulls was limited on athleticism and size. He made the absolute most of what he had, but he had a ceiling. Was a damn machine behind the arc though. 

X as a senior might come close to Yogi as a senior, just comparing one season. If JHS lives up to his potential…yeah, that could get scary. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

In terms of an overall backcourt, agree. For all his good qualities, Hulls was limited on athleticism and size. He made the absolute most of what he had, but he had a ceiling. Was a damn machine behind the arc though. 

X as a senior might come close to Yogi as a senior, just comparing one season. If JHS lives up to his potential…yeah, that could get scary. 

Loved Hulls. He lit me up every time we played. 

He definitely had some limitations. 

The problem with the big ten is to many teams try to run the offense thru the post. It clogs the paint for drives. It is easier to defend inside out than to guard ball movement and drives with an open lane.  Watch Miami play. Nobody post up. Ball moves and everybody  drives and cuts. If someone is always posting up the cutting and lanes are limited. The Williams kid for Duke will score 14 to 15 and never really post up. He just moves and cuts to open areas and put backs on rebounds. Open up the lane for the guards and athletes to drive. Hopefully that is what Woodson wants to do. IU’s offensive was better when TJD was in PNR and moving freely not just staying in the post and going from side to side

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The ACC was extremely top heavy this year. 16 team league and only 5 teams in the tournament. The top are showing that they are very good, but the remaining 11 were not good teams 

Agree

UNC really only start to look good the last part of ACC play. They looked really inconsistent most of the year. Davis and Love got hot lately. The Irish were steady but nothing special. Hell we even beat them. Virginia looked like crap and they had a good acc record 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The ACC was extremely top heavy this year. 16 team league and only 5 teams in the tournament. The top are showing that they are very good, but the remaining 11 were not good teams 

Agree. And I would say the B1G doesn't get a prize for having the best 7th-14th best teams in the country.. because I agree they do. 

Bottom line.. we are the issue. If we are where we should be... the rest of the conference looks much stronger. 4 of the other top 6 programs in the conference are pretty content with where they are basketball wise-- MSU, UM, UW, and OSU. Or they are at least close to their ceiling imo. They are still excellent (MSU and UM) to very good (UW and OSU) programs. 

Then you have Purdue and ILL. They are darn good programs. Anywhere between 10th-20th in the country.... regularly. But truly want to up their game in basketball from an ncaat standpoint. But, you can see... again, limitations. 

Its IU, man. We should be the team at the top. Its there for the taking. There are limitations to other B1G basketball schools.. not ours. 

Probably sounds like an arrogant post. But, just how I see things. 

Style of play does hurt. I agree with those that have mentioned it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t know man…. was pretty weak this year from top to bottom. Virginia finished 6 out of 15 and they were mediocre at best. 

The ACC, for the most part, got their arsz's beat in non-con play.  Notre Dame got beat by Texas A&M, St. Mary's, and IU.  North Carolina got shelled pre-conference play.  I could go on.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Gonna disagree here.  In terms of quickness maybe XJ compares to yogi,  But in passing, running the offense, mental capacity and break you spirit shooting, yogi is by far superior in my opinion.  And I like XJ. Think he got better as the year went on.  

And you guys are putting alot on JHS.  He hasn't played a minute of college ball yet.  He might be great as a freshman or he could take some time.  I hope you're right because IU needs a big time guard/wing on this team.

20 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Agree

UNC really only start to look good the last part of ACC play. They looked really inconsistent most of the year. Davis and Love got hot lately. The Irish were steady but nothing special. Hell we even beat them. Virginia looked like crap and they had a good acc record 

UNC and Duke should always be good with the talent they haul in on a yearly basis. 16 top 100 kids between them this year, and you know both are destination spots for portal kids when either team has a need.

Their "problems" are getting the talent to play as a team and not as 5 talented individuals...

Coach K has done it many times, and I think Hubert Davis has done about as well as can be expected this year...

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And you guys are putting alot on JHS.  He hasn't played a minute of college ball yet.  He might be great as a freshman or he could take some time.  I hope you're right because IU needs a big time guard/wing on this team.

Agree.  He could just as easily be Tamar Bates...lots of promise, but not quite ready for real college ball.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Gonna disagree here.  In terms of quickness maybe XJ compares to yogi,  But in passing, running the offense, mental capacity and break you spirit shooting, yogi is by far superior in my opinion.  And I like XJ. Think he got better as the year went on.  

XJ as a SR is better then YF as a FR. By a pretty wide margin. 

That's what I was stating. XJ as a 5th year SR + JHS> YF as a FR and JH as a SR. Or at least very well could be. 

Usually there pretty high expectations for any top 15 FR. I think those are mostly fair expectations, as well. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

UNC and Duke should always be good with the talent they haul in on a yearly basis. 16 top 100 kids between them this year, and you know both are destination spots for portal kids when either team has a need.

Their "problems" are getting the talent to play as a team and not as 5 talented individuals...

Coach K has done it many times, and I think Hubert Davis has done about as well as can be expected this year...

That should be our problem as well!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rico said:

The ACC, for the most part, got their arsz's beat in non-con play.  Notre Dame got beat by Texas A&M, St. Mary's, and IU.  North Carolina got shelled pre-conference play.  I could go on.

The tournament is about matchups too.  UNC has had their path cleared in the same manner that Purdue did.  One bad game from a top seed in the early rounds can really make a difference for a 4 or 5 seed.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

The tournament is about matchups too.  UNC has had their path cleared in the same manner that Purdue did.  One bad game from a top seed in the early rounds can really make a difference for a 4 or 5 seed.

UNC had to play #1 seed in Baylor and the 4th seed UCLA so how was their path cleared out.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

XJ as a SR is better then YF as a FR. By a pretty wide margin. 

That's what I was stating. XJ as a 5th year SR + JHS> YF as a FR and JH as a SR. Or at least very well could be. 

Usually there pretty high expectations for any top 15 FR. I think those are mostly fair expectations, as well. 

Hulls was a 44% 3 point shooter and became a solid enough defender.  

No clue what Jalen will bring.  I hope he's the next Jason Kidd.

Edit add.  And a nifty passer and good ball handler with  3 assists to one turnover.

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Hulls was a 44% 3 point shooter and became a solid enough defender.  

No clue what Jalen will bring.  I hope he's the next Jason Kidd.

I know. Played against Jordy a lot. Yogi wasn't tremendous as a FR... we have to remember that. 

Nor was he expected to be as good as JHS, either. From the start I mean. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I know. Played against Jordy a lot. Yogi wasn't tremendous as a FR... we have to remember that. 

Nor was he expected to be as good as JHS, either. From the start I mean. 

Yogi was rated around the 25th best freshman, Mr Basketball, multiple state titles.  Because he shot horrible we downgraded him but his freshman year was a little bit of a disappointment.  Jalen is rated 21 currently in the composite.  

If he doesn't play better than freshman Yogi, we are in trouble.  

• Like 2