NCAA Tournament

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Yogi was rated around the 25th best freshman, Mr Basketball, multiple state titles.  Because he shot horrible we downgraded him but his freshman year was a little bit of a disappointment.  Jalen is rated 21 currently in the composite.  

If he doesn't play better than freshman Yogi, we are in trouble.  

I agree with all that.  JHS is also 6'5 210. He isnt coming to campus looking like some of our FR we have had recently. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree with all that.  JHS is also 6'5 210. He isnt coming to campus looking like some of our FR we have had recently. 

I also think we didn’t need yogi as a freshman to do what we will need JHS to per day. Yogi as a freshman had at all times 3-4 people who could score and/or a couple that could make their own shot. He didn’t have to force much, just make the smart play and do what he was best at. Having Watford zeller oladipo sheehey hulls helped. Even Remy could come in and get his own shot or take a little pressure off. 

We need him to be able to really help Xj if he is still here(along with Galloway) and be a reliable offensive option which we haven’t had in our guard spot consistently. Idk what our roster will look like next year and that will play a bigger role in his role on the team from a necessity standpoint. Just hope he comes in and gets his defense where it’s needs to be in order to play the most minutes. I have high expectation from watching/reading and seeing his body type, which I’ve seen his defense is a plus right now. So we will see how it translates. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

XJ as a SR is better then YF as a FR. By a pretty wide margin. 

That's what I was stating. XJ as a 5th year SR + JHS> YF as a FR and JH as a SR. Or at least very well could be. 

Usually there pretty high expectations for any top 15 FR. I think those are mostly fair expectations, as well. 

When i said i disagreed it was in the post that ZlineDavid said Sr XJ was as good as Sr Yogi and i disagree with that.  I do believe XJ is a really good point.  He has his flaws but i have come to respect his growth and play down the stretch.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Not a real in-depth article but it does hit on a couple things people have been saying about why the B1G flames out in the tourney lately.

Purdue's loss leaves Big Ten shut out of Elite Eight. We could see this coming | Analysis (yahoo.com)

They make some good points. Purdue has to get better playmaking guards IMO. The Isaiah Thompsons of the world aren’t going to cut it. I even think a Braden Smith would’ve helped last night. Need guys who can create their own shots. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They make some good points. Purdue has to get better playmaking guards IMO. The Isaiah Thompsons of the world aren’t going to cut it. I even think a Braden Smith would’ve helped last night. Need guys who can create their own shots. 

I didn't get to watch the game all that closely, was in the bar having a pint while it was on.  Looked like your bigs were neutralized and you didn't get the same number of call as you did the previous game.  They over compensated from the previous game and didn't call much.  Again, based on what i saw.

Secondly, its tough playing a team that the whole area, news outlets, announcers, and probably the refs are hoping live the Cinderella dream.  

Thirdly, that team wasn't scared of you and had/made some tough plays down the stretch.  They were quick, shot the ball well, and got away with some banging around with your bigs.

Just my thoughts.  I was cheering for Purdue to lose, but hey, IU fan here.  The only thing that was missing were the fans chanting IU sucks when you guys lost.  Sorry, had to rub a little salt in the wound.

Keep your chin up, we haven't been to an S16 for a while so i have no room to talk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I didn't get to watch the game all that closely, was in the bar having a pint while it was on.  Looked like your bigs were neutralized and you didn't get the same number of call as you did the previous game.  They over compensated from the previous game and didn't call much.  Again, based on what i saw.

Secondly, its tough playing a team that the whole area, news outlets, announcers, and probably the refs are hoping live the Cinderella dream.  

Thirdly, that team wasn't scared of you and had/made some tough plays down the stretch.  They were quick, shot the ball well, and got away with some banging around with your bigs.

Just my thoughts.  I was cheering for Purdue to lose, but hey, IU fan here.  The only thing that was missing were the fans chanting IU sucks when you guys lost.  Sorry, had to rub a little salt in the wound.

Keep your chin up, we haven't been to an S16 for a while so i have no room to talk

You aren’t wrong on anything here really. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

It gets more and more obvious it’s a guards game. Whether it’s a 6’2 or 6’9 guard. The perimeter skills, ability to create offense, and the most obvious make shots. 

Amen. Hopefully we can make adjustments. I think we need more of a mobile big (like a Haarms) to be able to be most effective overall.  Edey is really good but he has limitations just like Haas did. 

43 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hulls was a 44% 3 point shooter and became a solid enough defender.  

No clue what Jalen will bring.  I hope he's the next Jason Kidd.

Edit add.  And a nifty passer and good ball handler with  3 assists to one turnover.

He a good defender already...probably not quite to Mike Woodson's standards, but he's got good lateral quickness and is physically strong. Great court vision and awareness. Good passer, with capacity to be a great passer. He can get to the basket and finish through contact.

The 2 most impressive things about him, at least to me, are his leadership and his mid-range game.

He's a "natural" leader...the kind people just gravitate to. His teammates at Montverde all followed his lead...even when Skyy Clark was in the game with him. 

As far as the mid-range game goes, he's not quite as good at it as Malaki Branham, but he's close...

The only thing missing is the outside shot...his form is good...I think all it's going to take is a lot of hours in the gym hoisting them up...

If anyone wants to see for themselves, he's playing in the Jordan Classic 7 p.m. ET on Friday, April 15 at Chicago’s Hope Academy. It'll be televised nationally on ESPN.

5 hours ago, rico said:

The ACC, for the most part, got their arsz's beat in non-con play.  Notre Dame got beat by Texas A&M, St. Mary's, and IU.  North Carolina got shelled pre-conference play.  I could go on.

Oh I know. Wondering where IU would have finished in that league? Got to believe we would have been sitting at 3 or 4. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Not a real in-depth article but it does hit on a couple things people have been saying about why the B1G flames out in the tourney lately.

Purdue's loss leaves Big Ten shut out of Elite Eight. We could see this coming | Analysis (yahoo.com)

The B1G needs to sign a peace treaty. No more signing lumbering bigs 6’10 and over 260 lol. It’s like survivor where every team is in an arms race to survive what Purdue/Wisky/Illinois/Michigan is doing lol. I mean even PSU and Northwestern do it. At some point some teams need to break the mold and be brave and trust the process….play a different bread of ball and force everyone else to adjust to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The B1G needs to sign a peace treaty. No more signing lumbering bigs 6’10 and over 260 lol. It’s like survivor where every team is in an arms race to survive what Purdue/Wisky/Illinois/Michigan is doing lol. I mean even PSU and Northwestern do it. At some point some teams need to break the mold and be brave and trust the process….play a different bread of ball and force everyone else to adjust to them.

Hopefully Coach Woodson is looking to get away from the model those teams set, which I think he is. If he does and has success with it I think other teams and the league will follow suit.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This season both OSU and Iowa played without a true big

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

My eyes are bleeding from watching this

I am trying to understand how people think this offense today is more efficient than the past.  To me for an offense to be efficient it needs to be able to score. Supposedly players are better today and with the 30 second clock and the 3 pointer scoring should be way up.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You didn’t know Purdue is required to always have a 7 footer on the roster at all times? Next year I hope we see some lineups with 7’4 Edey and 7’2 Berg on the floor together lol.