Indiana Beats Wyoming Post Game!!

IowaHoosierFan

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Trey is an EXCELLENT option to have in at that point. Excellent... he is strong, smart, etc... everything you need to close out a game, he has. Plus.. he can get back and you can switch with him on defense. His pro outweigh his cons probably 20 to 1. 

Trey Galloway is our smartest basketball player. 

I don't think KL is a better ball handler than TJD at all. Not when you factor in who they're handling the ball against. Kopp and KL... about equal. 

Trey played 12 mins because of foul trouble. 

Two points: (1) your assumption that he would knock down FTs is just that. The stats don't really back it up (I would call them inconclusive at best, but 65% on a small sample size isn't really ideal in that situation), and his shooting outside of 5 feet, and I think everyone would all agree on this, is painful to watch. (2) What's the one thing you don't want to do in those last 40 seconds last night? Foul. Trey did that not once, but twice last night, and that was on top of a pretty bad offensive foul that helped land him on the bench in the first place. I would agree that he's usually one of our smarter players, but he wasn't last night.

I don't think we even have to agree to disagree, and I think you know I respect your opinion, and I agree with most of what you are saying. This really all comes down to trust. You trust him completely (and clearly CMW does as well), I have some concerns about his recent play. In the end, we simply don't have a better option behind him.

• Like 2

We all criticize Coach Shep for bein unable to admit when XJ plays well.  

In the same vein, we all need to be able to admit when Trey plays poorly.

He did not play well last night.  Not at all.  While neither shot well, Parker was better overall.  Accept/Admit it and hope they both play better against St. Mary's.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Great win.  TJD is awesome as usual.  Geronimo really stepped up, hope it's the start of his game going to another level.  Galloway drives me crazy, a little reckless out on the court.

I have to agree with you about Galloway.  Certainly, last night he wasn't effective seeing as he fouled out in 12 minutes.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He did not play well last night.  Not at all.  While neither shot well, Parker was better overall.  Accept/Admit it and hope they both play better against St. Mary's.

Are there some that aren't? Honestly I am asking

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don’t think anyone has said he played well. The point is, a coach typically isn't going to keep a player on the bench that is having a poor game in other areas when the coach needs his skill set for a specific situation. 

Coaches typically play the guys they trust, even if they're having an off night. Galloway's poor play doesn't mean he isn't a trustworthy ball handler and that he shouldn't have entered the game in that situation. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Are there some that aren't? Honestly I am asking

It's more going out of our way to bring up things he usually does well, as if it erases the fact that he played poorly last night.

Maybe he's our smartest player.....Okay, but he stunk last night.

Maybe he's one of our better ball handlers.....But others were playing better last night.

Maybe he's one of our better defenders....Can we honestly say that about last night?

Maybe we think he would be a good free throw shooter in the clutch.........Well, based on how he shot last night, I didnt want him anywhere near the FT line.  Right here right now, I want XJ or TJD at the line in the clutch.

The fact that we are going out of our way in trying to highlight 'good' things when he did not play well is weird.

Why dont we have 2 pages if discussion on Geronimo instead?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's more going out of our way to bring up things he usually does well, as if it erases the fact that he played poorly last night.

Maybe he's one of our better ball handlers.....But others were playing better last night.

Maybe he's one of our better defenders....Can we honestly say that about last night?

Maybe we think he would be a good free throw shooter in the clutch.........Well, based on how he shot last night, I didnt want him anywhere near the FT line.  Right here right now, I want XJ or TJD at the line in the clutch.

The fact that we are going out of our way in trying to highlight 'good' things when he did not play well is weird.

We're talking about a specific situation though. It was a time to have ball handlers in the game and Galloway, despite his play last night, is one of our best ball handlers. The goal in the moment was to have guys you trust that won't turn it over and you trust to make smart decisions. 

I'm my experience, especially in terms of situational play like that, coaches don't typically overreact to poor play in others areas in a specific game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe he's one of our better ball handlers.....But others were playing better last night

Maybe he's one of our better defenders....Can we honestly say that about last night? Yes

Yes, he is still one of our better defenders.

What ball handlers were playing better? 

Which is exactly who was at the line last night and basically every game. TJD and XJ

The first three don't change just because he played bad the last two games.  He is still our smartest, he is still a DAMN good defender, and he is still a damn good ball handler. Those don't change game to game. 

Idk where this is really going because I said TG has to get going in one of my comments, there is just no need to be over critical of his play. 

JG- activity was incredibly good. He still can't contain the ball defensively, which is strange. I am sure as heck glad he wasn't seriously injured, I think we beat Iowa with him. JG and PS scare the crap out of me when they are pressured and should be taken out of games late when we are pressured. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not disagreeing with anyone about Trey having a bad night last night. But I'm going with coach's decision. We all complain that Rob since his lengthy concussion, he doesn't make things happen. Although I'm starting to see glimpses of the old Rob! IU's offense wasn't working and needed a stimulus, Trey with the good and bad started making things happen!

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You can't....

Lavin claimed they’re allowed to assess during the review if the fouled defender is inside the “cylinder” of the player on offense. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know. If it were anyone else but Lavin (and Bill Walton) I’d be inclined to take their word for it but Lavin is a bonafide moron so here’s a grain of salt to go with his take. Even if true, it’s quite a BS sequence to only review a play to see if the offensive foul should also be a flagrant only to reassess all together. There are dozens of plays throughout a game that would be overturned if a replay was allowed and games would take 5 hours. The review should have been to confirm no flagrant and move on. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Haven’t read all the comments, but I’ll give my simple take.

Dreadful - XJ, RT, MK, PS, RP, TG, MD

Thumbs up - TJD and JG

Wait, we won! Wow…. Survive and advance. 

We HAVE to shoot the ball at least mediocre to beat St Mary’s. And have to play smarter. We had a lot of stupid mistakes last night. 

Imo, we lose to sm’s if we don’t shot well.  They make Wyoming look like a pick up team.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yes, he is still one of our better defenders.

What ball handlers were playing better? 

Which is exactly who was at the line last night and basically every game. TJD and XJ

The first three don't change just because he played bad the last two games.  He is still our smartest, he is still a DAMN good defender, and he is still a damn good ball handler. Those don't change game to game. 

Idk where this is really going because I said TG has to get going in one of my comments, there is just no need to be over critical of his play. 

JG- activity was incredibly good. He still can't contain the ball defensively, which is strange. I am sure as heck glad he wasn't seriously injured, I think we beat Iowa with him. JG and PS scare the crap out of me when they are pressured and should be taken out of games late when we are pressured. 

Agree about end of game. But, i think he should get much more playing time and would develop quickly.   His athleticism is incredible. 

2 minutes ago, John S said:

Agree about end of game. But, i think he should get much more playing time and would develop quickly.   His athleticism is incredible. 

JG? 

Only problem with his playing time is RT and TJD! 

That 3 was HUGE!! Actually, just his whole night was huge!

• Like 1

Maldonado was a tough matchup for us...all of the guys we have that are close to his size he took off the dribble...all of our shorter players, he posted up..

Sure he had 21 points, but he also had the 10 turnovers, many of which our defense forced...he was like a taller Andre Curbelo out there...

And Trayce outplaying Ike was pretty much the game (along with JG's stellar game)...Ike reminded me of a slightly more skilled (and definitely slimmer) Trevion Williams...he was gonna get some, but holding him under 20 was big for us...

An ugly win in March is fine by me. Got the nerves out of the way. These young men know how much we crazy fans love this and the pressure of being the 1st tourney team in 6 years had to be weighing on them. Now they have that behind them. Got the awful shooting game out of the way and still played great defense. I am not satisfied with the play but very happy with outcome. I expect much better play and a win tomorrow 

• Like 5

This thread should be more than six pages. Huge win!  Most of the team outside of TJD and Geronimo was off and we still won a tournament game that we controlled from beginning to end.  

The defense is phenomenal… Best team defense I can remember seeing in the cream and crimson.  And TJD stepping up and putting the team on his back in March is beautiful to see.

• Like 4