Indiana Beats Wyoming Post Game!!

IowaHoosierFan

A win is a win in the tournament, and it’s nice to check off another thing that we haven’t done in what seems like forever, but man, that was some pretty bad basketball overall. Race is playing like he has covid, and Trey is making a lot of really dumb mistakes recently. Some head scratching lineups, too, like putting Trey in at the end of the game when they were fouling us. Kid was something like 13-20 coming into the game. 

Anyway, on the plus side … did I mention that a win is a win yet? TJD was great, XJ was solid, and it looks like we’re going to ride or die based on JG’s energy.  

Here’s hoping we clean some of this up before Thursday. 

• Like 1

For any of the boxing fans out there, that was like boxing John Ruiz. That team's offense was brutal to watch and kept us from getting into any kind of a flow. 

Stewart might lead the nation in giving up potential four-point plays. 

It was the first game I've watched that Galloway played poorly. 

Geronimo was our difference maker. You have to expect your star to give you big numbers but getting that effort from Geronimo was certainly the difference maker. 

Ike reminded me a lot of a poor mans Zeebo Randolph. 

I feel pretty confident as long as St. Mary's doesn't shoot the lights we'll beat them. 

24 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

A win is a win in the tournament, and it’s nice to check off another thing that we haven’t done in what seems like forever, but man, that was some pretty bad basketball overall. Race is playing like he has covid, and Trey is making a lot of really dumb mistakes recently. Some head scratching lineups, too, like putting Trey in at the end of the game when they were fouling us. Kid was something like 13-20 coming into the game. 

Anyway, on the plus side … did I mention that a win is a win yet? TJD was great, XJ was solid, and it looks like we’re going to ride or die based on JG’s energy.  

We absolutely had to have Trey on the floor and was getting worried it took so long to put him in. 

He wasn't in there to make FTs. He was in there to handle pressure. Parker Stewart does not handle pressure well, at all. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

We absolutely HAD to have Trey on the floor and was getting worried it took so long to put him in. 

He wasn't in there to make FTs. He was in there to handle pressure. Parker Stewart does not handle pressure well, at all. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

We absolutely HAD to have Trey on the floor and was getting worried it took so long to put him in. 

Excellent D all game.  Stewart I payed great D most of the night. We frustrated the main 2 guys. 

not sure the pregame people knew IU and plays in the big ten. Acted like we have t seen a big guy that could play in the post. Even surprised we didn’t double team the post. Very poor preparation and very one sided commentary. 

offense was a struggle. Credit Wyoming the slowed the game down made it ugly and we couldn’t knock any jump shots down

win is win

survive and advance

• Like 4

Happy that we won. Relieved would be closer to the truth. I think we are getting close to the ceiling for this team. We all know how well they CAN play, but so often this season, for whatever reason,they don’t reach that level. A lot of things have been accomplished, and I am grateful. I would love to beat St Mary’s, and this team can do it. But if tonight’s version of IU shows up, it won’t happen. From this point on, we are definitely playing with house money. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Honestly, no joking. Is $$ what it takes? This has to stop. We are a diverse group here, what makes this crashing stop? Lead us on how to help. please.

Agreed! Love this board, but it's pretty much useless at the times of most importance.  I ended up doing a premium on peegs,  just so I could actually log on during crucial moments of b ball 

• Like 1

It wasn't pretty, but if they watched the pre-game, I hope IU fans understand that we were playing the best team in the country, a team with 2 first team All-Americans.  I mean, seriously, Ike got significantly more attention pre-game than TJD.  That's historically bad studio work.  Let me explain it to the Tru crew.  Indiana plays in the Big Ten.  Wyoming does not.  Does that help.

Anyway, random thoughts.

• I'm concerned Race is worn down to the point where we will not see him play well the rest of teh year.  I hope I'm wrong, because we are clearly much better when he plays well.
  • Galloway was really bad on many levels last night.  I disagree with the concept he didn't play enough.
  • We, as a fan base, need to stop asking for good shooting nights from Kopp and Stewart.  It happened very little in the first 31 games, and hasn't happened at all in the last several weeks.  We simply have to find offense elsewhere.
  • XJ scared me a little last night.  We saw a few flashes of early season bad XJ, but it seemed he settled down a bit even though he did not shoot well.
  • I think we could/should beat St. Mary's.  Hard to see us going any further, but still feels good to at least be back in the game.   

• Like 2

Well, that was an ugly game, fortunately they don't score on style points.  Survive and advance is the goal and we did that last night.

So hopefully some of that was just first tournament jitters.  We played about as bad as we could offensively but still won by 8.  We need X to calm down a bit in the next game and now would be a good time for Stewart and Kopp to find their shots.

9 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Honestly, no joking. Is $$ what it takes? This has to stop. We are a diverse group here, what makes this crashing stop? Lead us on how to help. please.

It has to be the people that who don't post regularly. You know, the ones......They talk out both sides of their mouths. 

They want coach fired when we lose and praise his decisions when we win....

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

We absolutely had to have Trey on the floor and was getting worried it took so long to put him in. 

I disagree. At that point in time, you just want to maintain the lead, and you know they are going to foul. This was with something like 40 seconds left, btw, and we were up 8. Trey also, for some reason, fouled the guy on a layup, and created a 3 point play. You've got a guy who is simply not playing smart basketball lately and isn't all that good from the line in the game in that situation. I'd rather have Kopp in there, and just contest the perimeter. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Has anybody seen an explanation about the the Race foul that got reversed after the refs went to monitor? I thought you couldn’t reverse a common foul. 

It was actually the right call. It's again, just a stupid rule... goodness the NCAA is fantastic at coming up with bad rules.  

Basically they extended the rule of vertically to afford them the ability to change a foul like that. It was deemed RT was in his cylinder, so Ike is allowed to just throw a blatant elbow because RT is in his cylinder. 

Stupid, but technically it was the right call.  

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

I disagree. At that point in time, you just want to maintain the lead, and you know they are going to foul. This was with something like 40 seconds left, btw, and we were up 8. Trey also, for some reason, fouled the guy on a layup, and created a 3 point play. You've got a guy who is simply not playing smart basketball lately and isn't all that good from the line in the game in that situation. I'd rather have Kopp in there, and just contest the perimeter. 

You have to have ball handlers in at the end of games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

totally agree!....Like I posted yesterday before the game, If Geronimo plays, it will be a huge upgrade for IU. Trey ABSOLUTELY HAS TO see the floor as much as possible. His defense is stellar and his court awareness on offense is impeccable. JMHO

• Like 1

Nice to be finally winning games in March! 

It took 15 minutes in the first half for IU to settle down. I hope we can carry that over to St Mary's. Let's jump on them out of the gate and benefit from this extra game getting us in rhythm. 

TJD looked like an All American. It was clear from the beginning that he came to play. TJD and Geronimo were not going to let us lose. 

Geronimo displayed his NBA potential. 

Xavier breaking down the D was crucial even if he was inefficient on O. 

Race did show some hustle and had a couple dunks. 

Parkers D was important. 

Our lack of 3 pt shooting brings us closer to a breakout shooting night. Hopefully we won't need it Thursday. I'd rather save it for Sat. 

Lastly, @5fouls did avoid a meltdown by leaving the game chat early. Just have a little more confidence in your team next time. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1