Indiana Beats Wyoming Post Game!!

IowaHoosierFan

just happy to survive and advance!  really want that W tomorrow.

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I miss the crazy positive poster, I forget his name? but come on people IU was the way better team, played very poorly offensively and was in no real danger of losing that game. Wyoming might not be great but they’re a tourney team. TJD and JG won that game. Two guys!! When’s the last time we can say any of this after a win? 

Edited by NCHoosier32
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed on PS, but Trey has not shown that he's a good FT shooter this year, or a good shooter in any way, shape, or form. I guess it's a pick your poison sort of thing - Trey might be able to handle the ball better than PS, but he also had two really dumb fouls in the last 40 seconds, and hasn't been playing smart basketball for a few games now, for whatever reason. 'Course, PS also had at least one dumb foul, too. 

I've no idea what's going on with Trey and Race, but I hope they figure it out quickly.

Trey is a better FT shooter then Parker. Yeah, I mean you're right that TG has struggled, some.... but that doesn't just negate TG's entire career and season. 

23 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Completely agree. I try not to be negative, but if we weren't playing in that game last night, I would have turned it off in the first half. I could rationalize that it was great defense, but it was just bad basketball by both teams. 

We are finally looking like a team with tremendous fight! The past several years or decade, we were so accustomed to playing very inconsistent, lacking confidence, then ultimately loosing ugly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed on PS, but Trey has not shown that he's a good FT shooter this year, or a good shooter in any way, shape, or form. I guess it's a pick your poison sort of thing - Trey might be able to handle the ball better than PS, but he also had two really dumb fouls in the last 40 seconds, and hasn't been playing smart basketball for a few games now, for whatever reason. 'Course, PS also had at least one dumb foul, too. 

I've no idea what's going on with Trey and Race, but I hope they figure it out quickly.

In that situation the top concern is to not have a live ball turnover. Free throws are absolutely important, but second to not turning it over. Galloway needed to be in there so that XJ wasn't on an island against the press.  

Though I'm pretty sure Galloway came in for Geronimo, not Stewart, which was the right move. 

• Like 1

Haven’t read all the comments, but I’ll give my simple take.

Dreadful - XJ, RT, MK, PS, RP, TG, MD

Thumbs up - TJD and JG

Wait, we won! Wow…. Survive and advance. 

We HAVE to shoot the ball at least mediocre to beat St Mary’s. And have to play smarter. We had a lot of stupid mistakes last night. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Trey is a better FT shooter then Parker. Yeah, I mean you're right that TG has struggled, some.... but that doesn't just negate TG's entire career and season. 

i didn’t say anything like that - we don’t have any issues sitting Race because we have a better option right now. Is that negating his career and season? I just didn’t think Trey was a good option there. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

In that situation the top concern is to not have a live ball turnover. Free throws are absolutely important, but second to not turning it over. Galloway needed to be in there so that XJ wasn't on an island against the press.  

Though I'm pretty sure Galloway came in for Geronimo, not Stewart, which was the right move. 

Yah, that was mentioned before, i just don’t agree. Rob is a better option for handling the ball IMO, Kopp is normally a great FT shooter, and Trey is simply not playing smart ball - he had two bad fouls in the 40 seconds or whatever he was in at the end. 

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

i didn’t say anything like that - we don’t have any issues sitting Race because we have a better option right now. Is that negating his career and season? I just didn’t think Trey was a good option there. 

Trey is our 2nd or 3rd best ball handler, though. 

And yes, you keep bringing up his poor play the last two games, which was irrelevant for that particular situation. You had to have press breakers on the court. You'll notice how much smoother we brought the ball up the court once TG was on the court. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Haven’t read all the comments, but I’ll give my simple take.

Dreadful - XJ, RT, MK, PS, RP, TG, MD

Thumbs up - TJD and JG

Wait, we won! Wow…. Survive and advance. 

We HAVE to shoot the ball at least mediocre to beat St Mary’s. And have to play smarter. We had a lot of stupid mistakes last night. 

How was XJ dreadful? We played very well, shot poorly.

But he was our glue the whole game.

5-tired-hamster-cartoon-clipart.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

Yah, that was mentioned before, i just don’t agree. Rob is a better option for handling the ball IMO, Kopp is normally a great FT shooter, and Trey is simply not playing smart ball - he had two bad fouls in the 40 seconds or whatever he was in at the end. 

Ok, but this isn't relevant for handling the basketball/being strong with the ball. RP has been a complete non factor since he has been back from injury. 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Committing two bad fouls has nothing to do with being a good ball handler in breaking the press. We needed ball handlers, and despite two bad fouls Galloway is a player that can handle the ball (much better then Kopp or Stewart) and the coaching staff trusts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok, but this isn't relevant for handling the basketball/being strong with the ball. RP has been a complete non factor since he has been back from injury. 

I have no idea how you can say his poor play isn’t relevant when handling the ball, when he has a really bad offensive foul earlier in the game while handing the ball. 

Just now, AxnJxn said:

I have no idea how you can say his poor play isn’t relevant when handling the ball, when he has a really bad offensive foul earlier in the game while handing the ball. 

RP was bad last night. He got benched in the 2nd half for his lack of being able to initiate offense. TG is a good ball handler/doesn't get rattled/is strong/a good FT shooter. All the makings of someone you want on the court to ice a game. 

So, you aren't playing Bates there, you aren't playing JG there, you don't want PS in that spot.....TG is the only option. I am confused by this. 

It seemed to me the most obvious substitution of the night. 

None of these players had ever played in, never mind won, an NCAA tournament game prior to last night.

I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of students on the Bloomington campus have never experienced their team winning an NCAA tournament game.

It really doesn't matter how, just that they have done it, and gotten the proverbial monkey off their backs.

Isn't a sign of a good team that they can win a game in multiple ways? Or, when they aren't playing their best in one facet of the game, they have the ability to make up for it in other ways?

Good win Hoosiers. Keep on playing hard. Warts and all, that's really all this fan can ask for

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

How was XJ dreadful? We played very well, shot poorly.

But he was our glue the whole game.

Seriously, you thought we played well, but just didn’t shoot well. Guess we saw two different games. Thank goodness Wyoming is terrible (or at least I thought they were…. no movement on offense, turnover machine). 

As far as XJ, 3-12 FG is dreadful no matter how you look at it… sorry. Not to mention he took a few poor shots that were reminiscent of “beginning of the season” XJ. Missed 2 of 5 FTs which is not typical of him. He was not sharp. If we get that same person Thurs we have no chance. 

The entire team looked tired to me outside of TJD and JG. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Committing two bad fouls has nothing to do with being a good ball handler in breaking the press. We needed ball handlers, and despite two bad fouls Galloway is a player that can handle the ball (much better then Kopp or Stewart) and the coaching staff trusts. 

You can't afford to be that single minded at the end of the game, though. You also need good foul shooters, and guys who are going to make smart plays. I never said I wanted Kopp handling the ball, but I would have preferred to see him in the game in some capacity, because they have to foul there - he's a leader on the court, a good FT shooter, and generally a smart player. What's stopping us from having XJ, Rob, PS/Trey, Kopp, and TJD in the game? You have at least 3 ball handlers, your best FT shooter, and generally our higher IQ players in there. 

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Seriously, you thought we played well, but just didn’t shoot well. Guess we saw two different games. Thank goodness Wyoming is terrible (or at least I thought they were…. no movement on offense, turnover machine). 

As far as XJ, 3-12 FG is dreadful no matter how you look at it… sorry. Not to mention he took a few poor shots that were reminiscent of “beginning of the season” XJ. Missed 2 of 5 FTs which is not typical of him. He was not sharp. If we get that same person Thurs we have no chance. 

No, that was a typo. I meant HE played well (shot poorly), meaning Xavier

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

No, that was a typo. I meant HE played well (shot poorly), meaning Xavier

Just now, AxnJxn said:

You can't afford to be that single minded at the end of the game, though. You also need good foul shooters, and guys who are going to make smart plays. I never said I wanted Kopp handling the ball, but I would have preferred to see him in the game in some capacity, because they have to foul there - he's a leader on the court, a good FT shooter, and generally a smart player. What's stopping us from having XJ, Rob, PS/Trey, Kopp, and TJD in the game? You have at least 3 ball handlers, your best FT shooter, and generally our higher IQ players in there. 

What does this mean? 

We end almost every game with that lineup!!!! basically 

With one min to go in the game the lineup was XJ, PS, TG, MK, and TJD.