Indiana Beats Wyoming Post Game!!

IowaHoosierFan

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

None of these players had ever played in, never mind won, an NCAA tournament game prior to last night.

I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of students on the Bloomington campus have never experienced their team winning an NCAA tournament game.

It really doesn't matter how, just that they have done it, and gotten the proverbial monkey off their backs.

Isn't a sign of a good team that they can win a game in multiple ways? Or, when they aren't playing their best in one facet of the game, they have the ability to make up for it in other ways?

Good win Hoosiers. Keep on playing hard. Warts and all, that's really all this fan can ask for

I think we keep forgetting your first sentence.

This play-in game may have been a blessing in disguise.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

You can't afford to be that single minded at the end of the game, though. You also need good foul shooters, and guys who are going to make smart plays. I never said I wanted Kopp handling the ball, but I would have preferred to see him in the game in some capacity, because they have to foul there - he's a leader on the court, a good FT shooter, and generally a smart player. What's stopping us from having XJ, Rob, PS/Trey, Kopp, and TJD in the game? You have at least 3 ball handlers, your best FT shooter, and generally our higher IQ players in there. 

Sounds like that was the lineup (XJ, TG, PS, MK, TJD), so not sure what we're even talking about or why there would be any issue in having Galloway in the game there?

You've got ball handlers (XJ and TG), free throw shooters (XJ and Kopp) and guys you trust (really all 5 of them).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Seriously, you thought we played well, but just didn’t shoot well. Guess we saw two different games. Thank goodness Wyoming is terrible (or at least I thought they were…. no movement on offense, turnover machine). 

As far as XJ, 3-12 FG is dreadful no matter how you look at it… sorry. Not to mention he took a few poor shots that were reminiscent of “beginning of the season” XJ. Missed 2 of 5 FTs which is not typical of him. He was not sharp. If we get that same person Thurs we have no chance. 

The entire team looked tired to me outside of TJD and JG. 

By no means saying XJ was great last night or even good, and we definitely need him to play more like the previous few weeks to beat St. Mary's and advance. 

But with that said, if terrible is 7 assists and just 2 turnovers with solid defense, that's not so bad. The shooting hurts and we definitely need that to be better as well as some of the shot selection, but he did settle down and made some big plays late (oop to TJD, pass to Geronimo when he pushed the ball late that got us a bucket, etc.)

I also think some of XJ's poor decisions were due to playing in a phone booth on the PnR. Wyoming was clogging the lane big time and due to PS and MK offering nothing offensively, XJ had to create in very tight quarters. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What does this mean? 

We end almost every game with that lineup!!!! basically 

With one min to go in the game the lineup was XJ, PS, TG, MK, and TJD. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sounds like that was the lineup (XJ, TG, PS, MK, TJD), so not sure what we're even talking about or why there would be any issue in having Galloway in the game there?

You've got ball handlers (XJ and TG), free throw shooters (XJ and Kopp) and guys you trust (really all 5 of them).

I didn't realize Kopp was already in the game there, so my bad. I really like TG and love his game when he is playing well, I simply don't trust him to do that right now. He was pretty bad in the BTT, he didn't play well earlier in this game, and he can't throw it in the ocean from outside right now, so I'd be very concerned about him going to the FT line at the end of the game. As for using that lineup at the end of every game, our Achilles' heel all year has been closing out games, so there's that.

In the end, it doesn't matter - CMW obviously trusts him, and that's all that really counts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

By no means saying XJ was great last night or even good, and we definitely need him to play more like the previous few weeks to beat St. Mary's and advance. 

But with that said, if terrible is 7 assists and just 2 turnovers with solid defense, that's not so bad. The shooting hurts and we definitely need that to be better as well as some of the shot selection, but he did settle down and made some big plays late (oop to TJD, pass to Geronimo when he pushed the ball late that got us a bucket, etc.)

I also think some of XJ's poor decisions were due to playing in a phone booth on the PnR. Wyoming was clogging the lane big time and due to PS and MK offering nothing offensively, XJ had to create in very tight quarters. 

He also put PS in position to score on his last bucket of the game, as well. He wasn't his last 7 game self, no doubt. He was average. 

Just now, AxnJxn said:

I didn't realize Kopp was already in the game there, so my bad. I really like TG and love his game when he is playing well, I simply don't trust him to do that right now. He was pretty bad in the BTT, he didn't play well earlier in this game, and he can't throw it in the ocean from outside right now, so I'd be very concerned about him going to the FT line at the end of the game. As for using that lineup at the end of every game, our Achilles' heel all year has been closing out games, so there's that.

In the end, it doesn't matter - CMW obviously trusts him, and that's all that really counts. 

Yeah, that lineup hasn't been healthy to close out the games lol. We beat UM, ILL, won a tourney game, beat Purdue, and beat OSU with that lineup to close a game.  It's literally been our best lineup by A LOT all year long... from nearly every single statistically category. 

Trey was excellent against Michigan and ILL. 

He didn't go to the FT line though. That's what we are saying... he wasn't in there to shoot FTs, he was in there to handle the ball. 

4 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I disagree. At that point in time, you just want to maintain the lead, and you know they are going to foul. This was with something like 40 seconds left, btw, and we were up 8. Trey also, for some reason, fouled the guy on a layup, and created a 3 point play. You've got a guy who is simply not playing smart basketball lately and isn't all that good from the line in the game in that situation. I'd rather have Kopp in there, and just contest the perimeter. 

You're looking at one game and not the whole body of work there.  If you look at the season, Trey is one of the smartest basketball players IU has.  That doesn't mean he won't have any lapses of a bad game here and there, but overall, his body of work says play him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, that lineup hasn't been healthy to close out the games lol. We beat UM, ILL, won a tourney game, beat Purdue, and beat OSU with that lineup to close a game.  It's literally been our best lineup by A LOT all year long... from nearly every single statistically category. 

Trey was excellent against Michigan and ILL. 

He didn't go to the FT line though. That's what we are saying... he wasn't in there to shoot FTs, he was in there to handle the ball. 

This is what I mean by single minded. I mean, you agree that Wyoming had to foul there, right? If he's one of the primary ball handlers, he's likely to be shooting FTs, so ball handling isn't the only consideration in that situation. I also don't get why you keep saying he's a good FT shooter when he's 13-20 this year - at best, it's an unknown. I could also add that he can't hit anything outside of 5 feet, and it certainly seems like the pressure of the tournaments may be getting to him a bit. 'Course, that observation is from my couch, so there's that.

I didn't see excellent play against UM and ILL. I thought he was solid in the latter, not so good in the former, and he was pretty bad against Iowa as well as last night.

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I think you nailed it with your last paragraph there about trust. 

I think as fans we overestimate in game performance from a specific game and underestimate how coaches view that in terms of trust. 

What I mean is, Woodson needed a ball handler and he trusts Galloway. When he looks down the bench for a ball handler, he's not thinking about two bad fouls and a couple missed shots earlier, he's thinking about who he trusts to be in the right spot in the press break and not make a dumb turnover in that situation and Galloway is a guy he trusts. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Haven’t read all the comments, but I’ll give my simple take.

Dreadful - XJ, RT, MK, PS, RP, TG, MD

Thumbs up - TJD and JG

Wait, we won! Wow…. Survive and advance. 

We HAVE to shoot the ball at least mediocre to beat St Mary’s. And have to play smarter. We had a lot of stupid mistakes last night. 

Dreadful?  Really?? SMH. So much talk about how bad Wyoming's offense was. Yeah, our defense had absolutely nothing to do with that. Sheesh. Stewart was so dreadful that our staff benched him for all but 3 minutes of the game. XJ was so dreadful that his +/- tied TJD's for best last nite at +10 (that's pretty significant in an 8 pt win btw). If they aren't filling up the offensive stat sheets they suck I guess.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think XJ fell back into a bad habit that he had at times this year. When he sees everyone else shooting poorly, he falls into the trap of thinking he has to carry a lot of the scoring. He isn't entirely wrong in that, but it causes him to force some plays and shots. 

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

This is what I mean by single minded. I mean, you agree that Wyoming had to foul there, right? If he's one of the primary ball handlers, he's likely to be shooting FTs, so ball handling isn't the only consideration in that situation. I also don't get why you keep saying he's a good FT shooter when he's 13-20 this year - at best, it's an unknown. I could also add that he can't hit anything outside of 5 feet, and it certainly seems like the pressure of the tournaments may be getting to him a bit. 'Course, that observation is from my couch, so there's that.

I didn't see excellent play against UM and ILL. I thought he was solid in the latter, not so good in the former, and he was pretty bad against Iowa as well as last night.

He is our 4th best player. I'm more than confident in saying that. I think he is a good enough FT shooter because I don't think he'd allow himself to miss in a situation like last night, that would be a couch observation, as well. I think he is also our 1st or 2nd most aware and smart basketball player we have. 

He had 7 assists and no turnovers the first two games on the BTT.  

I still don't understand the single minded thing. I think what you're saying is "think outside the box"? Honestly I don't know. 

I flat out don't see where you're coming from. TG had better be on the floor when we are up 5 and the other team is pressing, or I will finally go ape s*** about our lineups lol 

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're looking at one game and not the whole body of work there.  If you look at the season, Trey is one of the smartest basketball players IU has.  That doesn't mean he won't have any lapses of a bad game here and there, but overall, his body of work says play him.

It's not one game - I wouldn't have a problem if it was just one game - and no one has a problem with Race sitting. I agree that Trey is one of our smarter players, he just hasn't been showing that lately IMO, and we simply don't seem to have a better option, unlike Race/JG. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you nailed it with your last paragraph there about trust. 

I think as fans we overestimate in game performance from a specific game and underestimate how coaches view that in terms of trust. 

What I mean is, Woodson needed a ball handler and he trusts Galloway. When he looks down the bench for a ball handler, he's not thinking about two bad fouls and a couple missed shots earlier, he's thinking about who he trusts to be in the right spot in the press break and not make a dumb turnover in that situation and Galloway is a guy he trusts. 

Yep, and I think I've been pretty clear that this is just my opinion only, and it's coming from my couch. I'm just concerned with Trey's play, and that certainly seemed to be valid last night - that foul on an easy layup could have cost us the game, and he fouled out right after that. Both of those were terrible plays in that situation. 

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

It's not one game - I wouldn't have a problem if it was just one game - and no one has a problem with Race sitting. I agree that Trey is one of our smarter players, he just hasn't been showing that lately IMO, and we simply don't seem to have a better option, unlike Race/JG. 

Yep, and I think I've been pretty clear that this is just my opinion only, and it's coming from my couch. I'm just concerned with Trey's play, and that certainly seemed to be valid last night - that foul on an easy layup could have cost us the game, and he fouled out right after that. Both of those were terrible plays in that situation. 

The Race and TG things are completely different though. Trey did sit, he sat the WHOLE GAME. He had to go in late in the game because he has tools that others don't. Trey played 12 mins last night. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I still don't understand the single minded thing. I think what you're saying is "think outside the box"? Honestly I don't know. 

You're only looking at ball handling at the end of the game - that's been your sole reason to have him in the game. When I note that he's at best an unknown at the line, you're making a pretty big assumption that he's going to knock down FTs, with really nothing to back that up other than a gut feeling, when his play on the court, especially his shooting, is contrary to that. You also want guys who are going to make smart plays in that situation, and you're not mentioning that at all. That's what I mean by single minded.

Let me put it like this - if the only thing we're considering is ball handling, why not put in Lander? 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

You're only looking at ball handling at the end of the game - that's been your sole reason to have him in the game. When I note that he's at best an unknown at the line, you're making a pretty big assumption that he's going to knock down FTs, with really nothing to back that up other than a gut feeling, when his play on the court, especially his shooting, is contrary to that. You also want guys who are going to make smart plays in that situation, and you're not mentioning that at all. That's what I mean by single minded.

Let me put it like this - if the only thing we're considering is ball handling, why not put in Lander? 

Because Lander is not a good ball handler? 

I have more confidence in TG making the right play at the end of the game then 95% of our roster. Hell 95% of the players we have had the last 5 years. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Because Lander is not a good ball handler? 

I have more confidence in TG making the right play at the end of the game then 95% of our roster. Hell 95% of the players we have had the last 5 years. 

He's a better ball handler than TJD or Kopp. I mean, I'm being hyperbolic here, but my point is you can't just say get the best ball handlers in the game, which is what both of you have been saying - there are other things that need to be considered, like FT shooting, bball IQ plays, etc. TBF, if we had this convo a week ago, I would likely agree with having TG in there. He just doesn't seem himself lately with respect to playing smart basketball (agree that it's highly uncharacteristic, but it is what it is), and I was concerned when he came in last night. He then proceeded to commit a really bad foul that could have been costly, and then fouled out right after that.

As for him only playing 12 minutes, you're really kind of proving my point here. IIRC, he was sitting because of foul trouble, and one of those fouls was an offensive foul that was, frankly, not a smart play. 

I will agree that we don't seem to have better options, which is also a bit problematic, but that ain't changing before tomorrow night.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

He's a better ball handler than TJD or Kopp. I mean, I'm being hyperbolic here, but my point is you can't just say get the best ball handlers in the game, which is what both of you have been saying - there are other things that need to be considered, like FT shooting, bball IQ plays, etc. TBF, if we had this convo a week ago, I would likely agree with having TG in there. He just doesn't seem himself lately with respect to playing smart basketball (agree that it's highly uncharacteristic, but it is what it is), and I was concerned when he came in last night. He then proceeded to commit a really bad foul that could have been costly, and then fouled out right after that.

As for him only playing 12 minutes, you're really kind of proving my point here. IIRC, he was sitting because of foul trouble, and one of those fouls was an offensive foul that was, frankly, not a smart play. 

I will agree that we don't seem to have better options, which is also a bit problematic, but that ain't changing before tomorrow night.

Trey is an EXCELLENT option to have in at that point. Excellent... he is strong, smart, etc... everything you need to close out a game, he has. Plus.. he can get back and you can switch with him on defense. His pro outweigh his cons probably 20 to 1. 

Trey Galloway is our smartest basketball player. 

I don't think KL is a better ball handler than TJD at all. Not when you factor in who they're handling the ball against. Kopp and KL... about equal. 

Trey played 12 mins because of foul trouble. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Last thing from me--- I don't fret if TG is in at the end of the game. I'm actually more content then I have been in the last 6 years at the end of games when he is in. Two games don't change that, or even close to it for me. 

Love ya to death. I just don't agree with you. 

We are 11-4 when both RP and TG play btw. Wins- NCAAT, ILL, Purdue, OSU, UM--- Losses- Iowa x2, Michigan, and ILL at H when RP got hurt. 

• Like 1

Hopefully we got out jitters out now and we will be good for st Mary’s.

Trey is our number 2 pg..

I like bates being confident and he doesn’t play scared. I thought he played well last night in limited minutes. Hard to judge him when the entire second unit is on the floor…

after seeing the team shoot in person Stewart has such a pretty shot. I feel like every shot should go in, it just doesn’t. 

excited for st Mary’s but we will need that defense plus 4-5 more threes.