Ok, we must stop this crashing server thing.

6 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

The honest answer: Money. To be a little more sustainable, we turned on ads for guests (hey guests - get rid of them by registering!) so we have a bit more cash flow to pay for more hosting horsepower and also a professional to clean up our database. 

How much money can we raise in the short term to fix it? Are we talking hundreds or thousands? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

3-4 years ago, we grew too much and extended beyond my capabilities as a web host.  I'm conversant but not much more.  We have a small subscription to a 24/7 server admin but I'm exploring an entirely new web host and a new server admin.  The honest answer is "I don't know," but several hundred at least.

Totally understand and appreciate all that you have put together her for us to enjoy. I like the suggestion that someone else proposed. Will you post a $$ goal and let us go nail it? I'm not sorry for beating this horse, but this really is the best group of guys and although I enjoy Banners too, this is #1 and just want it to stay up. 

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Does anyone else have an issue using the "next" or "prev" feature? Also can't put in a page # and navigate to that page. This is all on my phone. Haven't checked from tablet or laptop...

Yep.  I'm experiencing the same issue.  I'm using android and tried a couple of different browsers with no difference in behavior.  BTW, the problem doesn't happen on BTB which seems to run the same forum software.

I just impersonated some of your user profiles and was not able to recreate the issue.  This sounds pretty familiar to an issue DWB was having.  I encourage you to read this thread to see if your symptoms (and the cure - javascript settings, if memory serves me correctly) line up: https://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/9827-cant-leave-a-like-or-navigate-with-page-s/

Happy to troubleshoot individually as well via PM.

17 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I just impersonated some of your user profiles and was not able to recreate the issue.  This sounds pretty familiar to an issue DWB was having.  I encourage you to read this thread to see if your symptoms (and the cure - javascript settings, if memory serves me correctly) line up: https://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/9827-cant-leave-a-like-or-navigate-with-page-s/

Happy to troubleshoot individually as well via PM.

I traced mine to auto sign in by my browser. If I manually sign in, I don't have the issue. If I let Chrome automatically sign me in, the problem persists...

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I traced mine to auto sign in by my browser. If I manually sign in, I don't have the issue. If I let Chrome automatically sign me in, the problem persists...

And the problem returned? (looking at your more recent reply in the dwb thread).

It occurs on all android browsers for me, whether I'm logged in or not (I can leave "likes" while logged in).

No time to put into it today but there is some bugs. Next  page and similar functions work fine from desktop on home and office networks. iOS mobile has issues on the few different browsers I’ve tried on verison data connection(ip) and is locked out to the blue host page but will login through a WiFi connection. Although at that point none of the next page or similar UI functions work.

• Like 1

I hate to be reductive here but everything being described here sounds like an end-user error, not a server-side error.  Through past trial and error, we seem to have traced the errors to javascript and/or settings on someone's device that interact with Javascript (e.g. ad blockers).  Outside of that, clearing cookies/cache/updating OS and browser would be the most logical troubleshooting steps.  We're seeing errors for some (not all) members and they're not able to be recreated on my end when impersonating, which is what leads me to this conclusion.

So I went into Chrome settings, Site Settings, and JavaScript was enabled for all sites. I turned it off, and that allowed me to page through topics, but I couldn't reply to any topics. 

So, I went back in and re-enabled JavaScript, and Voila, everything works again...

Go figure...

Edited by IUFLA

Got a chance to try on my desktop computer. It definitely appears to be Javascript related. In Firefox (not chrome based) changing pages only works when js is disabled - re-enable it and the problem returns. Same behavior in Edge (chrome based). As IUFLA mentioned, when js is disabled I can't reply. As I've mentioned, the problem for me didn't exist Saturday before noon but began later that day and has never occurred on another site that uses the same forum software.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:31 AM, HoosierFaithful said:

Glad that worked!  It seems on this issue we've isolated the particular error - very frustrating we don't know what causes it, but knowing users have to just toggle with some Java settings is great and exactly why we try to troubleshoot in public like this.  Thanks for updating, partner.

It worked for a while, but now it's back to the same behavior...Can't page through threads. If I turn off javascript for the site, I can't reply. 

Chrome really doesn't have much you can do with javascript. You can globally turn it off or on, and you can make site exceptions...that's about it. 

There's gotta be something in the site software that can be tweaked to make it work for those of us having problems...

I'm using Chrome on a Widows 10 PC, or Chrome on an Android 12 Pixel 6 Pro...