Tamar Bates Question

I’ll preface by saying that I’ve watched many videos of workouts, practice and of course games, but….

Am I alone in thinking that his shot is silky smooth, and that he could mend our shooting woes? 

I know that he was out of control a lot, earlier in the season, but his past 3 or 4 appearances have been solid. He hasn’t forced anything offensively and has been great on the defensive end. I think his composure has really come a long way and his future is very bright. I’d just like to see him on the floor more. Hopefully we’ll get to see a little more of him tonight. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I’ll preface by saying that I’ve watched many videos of workouts, practice and of course games, but….

Am I alone in thinking that his shot is silky smooth, and that he could mend our shooting woes? 

I know that he was out of control a lot, earlier in the season, but his past 3 or 4 appearances have been solid. He hasn’t forced anything offensively and has been great on the defensive end. I think his composure has really come a long way and his future is very bright. I’d just like to see him on the floor more. Hopefully we’ll get to see a little more of him tonight. 

No, you're not alone in that. It was thought coming in to the season that he would play a lot more and that he could be a starter. A large part of that thinking was because of his shooting.

However, the numbers don't lie.  He just hasn't produced as expected so far and his transition to getting comfortable at the college level is taking longer than many thought it would take. I think it'll click for him and he'll play a much larger role and shoot much better next season.

Shooting so far: Overall - 33.6%, 2P - 36.8%, 3P - 29.8%.

His FT shooting has been good but only a small sample size.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tamar-bates-1.html

While his shooting % isn't great, it does appear he is capable of shooting off the move, especially compared to the rest of the roster. I don't know if the numbers back that up, but i think they ultimately will next season.  His shooting mechanics are there, he seems to have confidence in his shot, and his release is relatively quick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I give the edge to Geronimo

+1 His athleticism is so off the charts, he could do a VO type jump from sophomore to junior year. Needs to work on handle and continue the improvement he made in shooting, defensive positioning... basically all the important details. But some of the stuff he does, you cannot teach. It will really depend on his offseason dedication.

Maybe VO will work out with him...

To be honest, I still think TJD has an extremely high ceiling as well. Continue to work on the right hand so he is harder to defend and become comfortable with the 10 - 15 footer during the game. He looked good shooting in the practice I saw on Monday.

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

+1 His athleticism is so off the charts, he could do a VO type jump from sophomore to junior year. Needs to work on handle and continue the improvement he made in shooting, defensive positioning... basically all the important details. But some of the stuff he does, you cannot teach. It will really depend on his offseason dedication.

Maybe VO will work out with him...

To be honest, I still think TJD has an extremely high ceiling as well. Continue to work on the right hand so he is harder to defend and become comfortable with the 10 - 15 footer during the game. He looked good shooting in the practice I saw on Monday.

He’s not where Vic was as a sophomore, but the comparison still holds. If that fuse gets lit…..

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He and Geronimo are going to be GOOOD next season IMO. Especially if they can work on their 3 ball over the summer

I agree completely. Just their whole game, they have to be able to process quicker. JG is so reactive defensively, he LOOKS like a great defender... but currently he isn't. He also STRUGGLES in decision making and ball handling, but again... I'm a fan and glad he is a Hoosier. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree completely. Just their whole game, they have to be able to process quicker. JG is so reactive defensively, he LOOKS like a great defender... but currently he isn't. He also STRUGGLES in decision making and ball handling, but again... I'm a fan and glad he is a Hoosier. 

Me too, needs to be more careful with the ball and probably fouling too. But him shooting 3s is heading to the right direction 

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think he's a great secondary defender in help defense, but you're right...on the ball his lateral movement is a step slow...

I am encouraged by his offense...at first I thought maybe he'd be a Dennis Rodman type, but I think his offensive game is better, and his defense not quite as good...rebounding, he's getting there...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think he's a great secondary defender in help defense, but you're right...on the ball his lateral movement is a step slow...

I am encouraged by his offense...at first I thought maybe he'd be a Dennis Rodman type, but I think his offensive game is better, and his defense not quite as good...rebounding, he's getting there...

Yeah, good shot blocker/swoop in a grab a contest Dreb, for sure. He got lost for a 3 late in the first half that was a big play, not that others don't get lost too... just saying those are the cons of his game, currently. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rantool said:

I include Galloway in that group. If he can get healthy and develope his three point shooting the sky is the limit for him as well imho?

I would like to see more of Trey taking it straight to the rim and jamming it through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

Developing a three-point shot will give him more opportunities to drive past defenders and do just that.  

I got to attend one of the games late in the season and watched Galloway in pregame warmups as he hit most of the 3s he attempted. That's not the same as doing it in a game obviously, but gave me some hope that the potential is there. 

• Like 4