Tamar Bates Question

11 minutes ago, DougWil said:

I got to attend one of the games late in the season and watched Galloway in pregame warmups as he hit most of the 3s he attempted. That's not the same as doing it in a game obviously, but gave me some hope that the potential is there. 

It's there. TG just needs to be 32-34%. Just a threat. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DougWil said:

I got to attend one of the games late in the season and watched Galloway in pregame warmups as he hit most of the 3s he attempted. That's not the same as doing it in a game obviously, but gave me some hope that the potential is there. 

I hope you’re right.  I was at the Iowa game in the BTT, and nobody, including Galloway, hit many 3s even in warm-ups.  Perhaps they had tired legs by then.  I still tend to think a lot of the poor shooting is between the ears.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I hope you’re right.  I was at the Iowa game in the BTT, and nobody, including Galloway, hit many 3s even in warm-ups.  Perhaps they had tired legs by then.  I still tend to think a lot of the poor shooting is between the ears.

100%. If the shooter doesnt have the confidence to make the shot, they already missed it. No sense in forcing players into taking shots they dont believe in themselves in making.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

imo

His injuries are by far the most to do with it. From actual injuries to his shooting wrist/hand... to simply missing time and having to play "catch up" so much. 

Idk. His shot looks A LOT better, still not great... but it's better. I think he is a hard worker too. Friggin pumped for off season growth. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

imo

His injuries are by far the most to do with it. From actual injuries to his shooting wrist/hand... to simply missing time and having to play "catch up" so much. 

Idk. His shot looks A LOT better, still not great... but it's better. I think he is a hard worker too. Friggin pumped for off season growth. 

I think Galloway needs to learn to slow down and be patient.  With patience comes calmness of the body and mind.  With that, he can make the shot.  He is always to wound tight like a spring and wants to go 100% at all time.  Slow down young man, let the game and shots come to you.  His drive and dish is there, just relax and move with fluidity and purpose, instead of barreling in out of control. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DougWil said:

He will be a much improved shooter next year. If not I will gladly eat my crow.

38 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think Galloway needs to learn to slow down and be patient.  With patience comes calmness of the body and mind.  With that, he can make the shot.  He is always to wound tight like a spring and wants to go 100% at all time.  Slow down young man, let the game and shots come to you.  His drive and dish is there, just relax and move with fluidity and purpose, instead of barreling in out of control. 

IMO, it's more about understanding when to go full tilt and when to slow things down.  I love his pace overall and don't want to slow him down...just understand when it's not there and downshift once in awhile.  I'd love to see some others pick up the pace a little when the opportunity presents.  Rob is a great guy and lockdown defender, but one thing I will not miss is pounding the air out of the ball at the top of the key.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree 100%.  And if you ARE going to go full tilt to the rim...by God, you had better finish by scoring...and not running over a defender because you're out of control.  😡

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

IMO, it's more about understanding when to go full tilt and when to slow things down.  I love his pace overall and don't want to slow him down...just understand when it's not there and downshift once in awhile.  I'd love to see some others pick up the pace a little when the opportunity presents.  Rob is a great guy and lockdown defender, but one thing I will not miss is pounding the air out of the ball at the top of the key.

i can agree with this.  But 90% of the time you don't need to be full force on the edge of out of control.  There is urgency, then there is turning it up to 100 to get past your guy and get to the rim.  But you don't need to be that way every time you are moving with the ball or looking for a pass.  I like what he brings.  He needs to increase his shooting percent, control himself and stop fouling stupidly.  Love the upside and what he will be as a Sr.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:24 AM, Danomatic said:

I’ll preface by saying that I’ve watched many videos of workouts, practice and of course games, but….

Am I alone in thinking that his shot is silky smooth, and that he could mend our shooting woes? 

I know that he was out of control a lot, earlier in the season, but his past 3 or 4 appearances have been solid. He hasn’t forced anything offensively and has been great on the defensive end. I think his composure has really come a long way and his future is very bright. I’d just like to see him on the floor more. Hopefully we’ll get to see a little more of him tonight. 

He'll mend our woes by not letting anyone else shoot it....:coffee:

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

He'll mend our woes by not letting anyone else shoot it....:coffee:

Kidding aside, I felt like he was walking on eggshells a lot. He definitely had his moments where he forgot that there were other players on the team. However, he had stretches where he looked like a guy with the highest ceiling. Hopefully he gets plenty of run next season and isn’t in a position where if he makes a mistake, he gets pulled right away. I think he’s got a good chance to take a massive step, or he’ll likely move on.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Kidding aside, I felt like he was walking on eggshells a lot. He definitely had his moments where he forgot that there were other players on the team. However, he had stretches where he looked like a guy with the highest ceiling. Hopefully he gets plenty of run next season and isn’t in a position where if he makes a mistake, he gets pulled right away. I think he’s got a good chance to take a massive step, or he’ll likely move on.

When he shot with good form he made a lot. Its when he went to the one footed running fade away or the step back fall away 3 is when he got in trouble. Once he gets the aau prep school out of him he will be great. Thats why I posted some where the staff needs to look at every shot he took with him, saying great shot there, bad shot or what the hell was that? The kid doesn't know what a bad shot is, he has never been taught.

• Like 1