St Mary’s Post Game Thread

KDB

18 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

XJ led the Big Ten in assists surrounded by players who couldn't consistently shoot past 5 feet. Also top 10 in defensive win shares in the Big Ten.

Good point and perspective...this I did not know.  I say we keep him around for another year, since that eligibility thing isn't an issue.  

Is he out of control sometimes, of course - aren't we all.  But dude has the biggest pair and leadership capabilities than anyone else on the team.  No reason to fight it, work with it...

Edited by IUKane21
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

Good point and perspective...this I did not know.  I say we keep him around for another year, since that eligibility thing isn't an issue.  

Is he out of control sometimes, of course - aren't we all.  But dude has the biggest pair and leadership capabilities than anyone else on the team.  No reason to fight it, work with it...

Yep! Excellent post, man. 

Just make a few minor tweaks... take the last 15-18 games of the year as the baseline moving into next year, find him some help, and you might really have something. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yep! Excellent post, man. 

Just make a few minor tweaks... take the last 15-18 games of the year as the baseline moving into next year, find him some help, and you might really have something. 

Imagine the driving lanes available for him when defenses can't sag off our shooters. If TJD came back we'd see a lot more of those beautiful lobs.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Imagine the driving lanes available for him when defenses can't sag off our shooters. If TJD came back we'd see a lot more of those beautiful lobs.

Did you hear TJD on one play?  X went into the lane and TJD was waiting for the lob, and X shot a runner instead.  He missed, and TJD yelled "Oh X!"  The mic over the goal picked it up.  That was funny and familiar to anyone who has played basketball.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IUKane21 said:

TJD right now is saying... "you serious, Clark?"

I said "basically" which in context I meant arguably. TJD's play got better as X got better, so to me, X was the reason the team and TJD got better. Against St. Mary's X got a little more out of control, was over passing (to TJD), and missed layups (and passes) he had been making. I think he was spent. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I said "basically" which in context I meant arguably. TJD's play got better has X got better, so to me, X was the reason the team and TJD got better. Against St. Mary's X got a little more out of control, was over passing (to TJD), and missed layups (and passes) he had been making. I think he was spent. 

agreed

My uneducated view of our team this year and how i feel about them.  Both Good and Bad.  Feel free to tell me i am wrong or right.  Just what i think from the games i watched all year.

TJD - Great Year.  Great Ambassador and teammate.  Will be missed next year!  Needs a Right hand and a Jump shot to make it at the next level.  I truly wish him the best.  Will be an IU favorite for many.

XJ - Great growth and finish to the year.  Great leader.  Will need to return next year for us to be successful.  Work on shot mechanics and emotions in close games.

Race - Floundered down the stretch, not sure what happened here.  Not sure where his 10' shot went but seemed to only score when he can dunk it.  Great rebounder.  Will need him next year on the block.

Kopp - Played hard, just isn't what we hoped he would be.  Great Team Player though.  Always gave his all.

P Stewart - Feel like he just had a rough last couple years and maybe wasn't up for the B1G competition.  I also think he added some weight both fat and muscle that could have slowed him down.  great spot shooter but cannot be relied on in the moment to hit it.

Rob - Injury prone derailed his whole career.  Great defender.  Floundered down the stretch.  I honestly think we would be better without him next year.  Would miss his defense but not an offensive threat.  Would allow younger guys to get minutes.  Unpopular opinion from me.  I accept that

Galloway - Great motor.  Needs offensive shot growth.  Needs to let the game come to him and slow down.  Has to play defense under control and foul less and better situations.  Has to stay on the floor.  Will be an IU favorite for many.  Feel like he has a high ceiling, just needs to let the game come to him, doesn't always have to be 1000%

Jordan G - Going to be an all time favorite at IU for many.  Great Athlete.  Great rebounder.  Lives above the rim.  Decent outside shooter.  Needs to work on a midrange.  Work on handles and get "softer" hands when receiving passes.  Stay out of foul trouble.  Will need to play major minutes next year.

Bates - Has a huge ceiling.  Needs to let the came come to him, work on finishing at the rim and shot selection

Lander - Really unknown at this point.  Will know exactly who he is next year if he can get on the floor.  If not, it will be too bad.  I truly expect him to transfer

Durr - what we thought he would be.  Has a soft 15' shot and hit free throws.  Better than most of our guards and wings.  Might transfer out.

Leal - May end up being a preferred walk-on if a scholarship is needed.  Will not transfer.  Loves IU.  Could become a sniper by his Sr year.  Could become a fan favorite

Duncomb - No idea what he can do or what he can become.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Coach Shep said:

Coach woodson might want to look at replacing the team trainer. Multiple injuries, lack of strength and poor conditioning. Nick saban did it at alabama a few years ago.

Poor conditioning? The team seemed to be in pretty good shape throughout the season. Eventually it will catch up (St Marys). Even the players referenced how the off-season workouts have helped them be in great shape for the season.

• Like 1