Transfer Portal 2022

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Few more posts like this, and you may be required to change your avatar......:coffee:

😂 I hear you.  I'm not here trying to upset people and I'd be thrilled if Trayce came back.  I would also be very very surprised.  As I said earlier, I'd put Trayce, along with Parker Stewart in the least likely to return category.  PStew has...like two grad degrees now?  He's also given his senior speech and has said nothing to my knowledge about returning.  Alternatively, Race Thompson made it clear that despite his senior speech, he could return for one more year.

Trayce, on the other hand, would surprise me a lot if he chose to come back one more year.  Not because I've personally made any assessment about his readiness or asserted that he hasn't enjoyed his time at IU or anything like that.  I'm absolutely not wishing him off the team...I think that's bad fan behavior and outside of conduct detrimental to the program, I won't participate in that.  Trayce was on the fence last year and Woody convinced him to come back.  I DO think he's grown his game...gotten better at going to either hand, etc.  I also recognize that he's probably not going to be a high draft pick this year.  It would likewise surprise me that if he stayed, he'd be a high draft pick next year.  I think his game is pretty much a known at this point.  Sure, he could work on extending his range at IU next year, but I don't see that as a likely outcome if he chooses to stay.  It's pretty obvious that he's very comfortable and effective patrolling the paint.  That's his game.  I'm a little surprised that it's so upsetting to think that he might move on and sharpen his game at a higher level.  Right or wrong, we can surely all remain friends?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

😂 I hear you.  I'm not here trying to upset people and I'd be thrilled if Trayce came back.  I would also be very very surprised.  As I said earlier, I'd put Trayce, along with Parker Stewart in the least likely to return category.  PStew has...like two grad degrees now?  He's also given his senior speech and has said nothing to my knowledge about returning.  Alternatively, Race Thompson made it clear that despite his senior speech, he could return for one more year.

Trayce, on the other hand, would surprise me a lot if he chose to come back one more year.  Not because I've personally made any assessment about his readiness or asserted that he hasn't enjoyed his time at IU or anything like that.  I'm absolutely not wishing him off the team...I think that's bad fan behavior and outside of conduct detrimental to the program, I won't participate in that.  Trayce was on the fence last year and Woody convinced him to come back.  I DO think he's grown his game...gotten better at going to either hand, etc.  I also recognize that he's probably not going to be a high draft pick this year.  It would likewise surprise me that if he stayed, he'd be a high draft pick next year.  I think his game is pretty much a known at this point.  Sure, he could work on extending his range at IU next year, but I don't see that as a likely outcome if he chooses to stay.  It's pretty obvious that he's very comfortable and effective patrolling the paint.  That's his game.  I'm a little surprised that it's so upsetting to think that he might move on and sharpen his game at a higher level.  Right or wrong, we can surely all remain friends?

I know this may come off as naive and just an older fan dreaming, but there is something to be said for legacy...for history...

What are Quinn Buckner and Scott May known for? They both had good pro careers...but even nationally, they're known as the 2 catalysts of the last undefeated National Champions...in Indiana, they're Gods...

What's Danny Manning best known for? David Thompson? Christian Lattener? Corliss Williamson?

I don't know how Trayce will do in the pros. I hope he does well. Wins championships and has a lot of success...

He does have a unique opportunity. He's already pillar that IU rebuilt their program around. But there's nothing wrong with storybook endings...

I'm sure he sees the way his coach is treated by IU fans. That's not a temporary thing...that's a lifetime thing...a legacy...

So, yeah...maybe I'm just a dreaming old man. Whatever Trayce does, I'll always appreciate what he brought to Indiana basketball. 

As to your last sentence, @FKIM01, sure... We're just friends sitting around a virtual bar...Always friends... 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You are one of my favorite posters on this board, and I agree with everything you said here.  I was just funnin ya a little.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

You are one of my favorite posters on this board, and I agree with everything you said here.  I was just funnin ya a little.

That's not a problem...and I'm likewise not taking anything here too seriously.  I realize that we'd all love for Trayce to come back and cap his legacy but I was getting a bit of an anxious vibe from the conversation so I sought to clarify my thoughts.  I'm also trying to be pretty careful about speculating who's staying and who is going as I don't want any of the players feeling like us fans don't support them and want them gone.

IU will see some roster turnover in the off-season and some of it will undoubtedly be unwelcome and/or unexpected, but that's the nature of the beast.  I don't envy the challenge that Woodson and his staff have with roster management and keeping everyone happy.  Interesting times for us fans to watch next year's roster take shape.  Cheers...:cheers:

9 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

Regarding TJD, his play in the BTT and NCAA has shot him up the mock drafts. Several sites have him listed anywhere between 37-47. 

I do think he'd be crazy to not at least put his name in the draft and get the feedback...and if he's high enough on some team's board he should certainly entertain going...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

And the $1M question is would another year at IU change that range?

I'm not sure that's really the question. I don't think TJD could really change his draft stock much either way. 

I'd be shocked if he comes back, but if he is considering it then I think it's more about legacy then draft stock. 

He's most likely a 2nd round pick regardless, the question is more of whether he wants to start some type of pro career now or is his IU legacy more important especially given he can make NIL money. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

And the $1M question is would another year at IU change that range?

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure that's really the question. I don't think TJD could really change his draft stock much either way. 

I'd be shocked if he comes back, but if he is considering it then I think it's more about legacy then draft stock. 

He's most likely a 2nd round pick regardless, the question is more of whether he wants to start some type of pro career now or is his IU legacy more important especially given he can make NIL money. 

What are the elements of his game he can/could work on to raise his stock should he decide to stay another year?

In my mind, I see two things:

- His right hand - I would love to see him be more balanced in his attack on the block. He so heavily favors his left that it's almost comical. (And a testament to how good it is because he still scores!)

- Mid-range shooting (out to 16-17 feet) - Turning, squaring up and hitting that little jumper a la Tim Duncan. Make the bank your best friend.

But to your point @BGleas legacy would be the only real reason to stay. He could work on the two bullet points above as a professional anywhere he goes. Staying at IU would be simply to cement himself amongst the most memorable; pantheon if he brings a Banner.

42 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

What are the elements of his game he can/could work on to raise his stock should he decide to stay another year?

- His right hand - I would love to see him be more balanced in his attack on the block. He so heavily favors his left that it's almost comical. (And a testament to how good it is because he still scores!)

- Mid-range shooting (out to 16-17 feet) - Turning, squaring up and hitting that little jumper a la Tim Duncan. Make the bank your best friend.

But to your point @BGleas legacy would be the only real reason to stay. He could work on the two bullet points above as a professional anywhere he goes. Staying at IU would be simply to cement himself amongst the most memorable; pantheon if he brings a Banner.

Those have been things he's needed to work on the whole time and hasn't really shown much progress towards either. I'm not sure another year in school would change that.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Those have been things he's needed to work on the whole time and hasn't really shown much progress towards either. I'm not sure another year in school would change that.

Might be able to work on them if we have players who can score so he doesn't always have to be the one to put up all the points for us to win.  If he becomes a cog instead of a pillar, he might be more inclined to step and shoot knowing the team has his back in scoring.  But more likely, he is what he is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Yeah, honestly I think he's better off working on those things in the G-League (I'm assuming he'd be a 2-way player). Not because of anything IU related or our staff, I'd say that about anybody in his position (junior with a couple specific skills they need to improve).

The NBA/G-League game is just different. Players get their shots in different spots with different spacing, etc., etc. He might as well start working on that now, because any draft stock improvement would be marginal. 

If he comes back it's because of legacy. It's the Yogi model. Yogi could have left after his junior year and probably had the same exact NBA career. Yogi came back, at least partially for legacy. He knew he was never going to be a 1st round pick. 

• Like 6