Transfer Portal 2022

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Another worry for HS kids going forward.

This is what everyone wanted.  Kind of hard to feel sorry for them now to be honest.  The minute you start getting paid out in the open is the minute this turned from an amateur league with a pro undercurrent to a pro league with an amateur undercurrent.  Yeah, kids were getting paid 5+ years ago too, but it was something that they had to at least somewhat try to hide.  Not anymore.

If you are getting that pro contract offer (a scholarship) you might want to make up your mind quick.  Coaches don't have to kiss a 16 year old's butt half as much anymore when they got 20 year olds waiting in the portal every year.

Edit to add:  the churn and burn of tweener player like TJD becomes more in doubt as well.  Players don't have to go pro to get paid, so that could mean less scholarships at the big schools.  Take those 2 Murray State kids that just entered the portal.  If you are Kentucky, do you take a run at them for a year or two or do you grab another one and done Freshman and hope for the best there?  I would grab the Murray State kids myself.  So if you are that one and done waiting around for a Kentucky offer, you may not have it come this summer.  And the list of other schools you have on the backburner may get tired of waiting on you.

Double edged sword perhaps, kind of hate what paying players does but on the other hand this could cut back on some of the primadonna stuff you see out of recruits.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is what everyone wanted.  Kind of hard to feel sorry for them now to be honest.  The minute you start getting paid out in the open is the minute this turned from an amateur league with a pro undercurrent to a pro league with an amateur undercurrent.  Yeah, kids were getting paid 5+ years ago too, but it was something that they had to at least somewhat try to hide.  Not anymore.

Indeed. I'm not familiar with the rules around NIL, but is there anything to stop, say, a big time booster from paying a top recruit big bucks to "endorse" whatever product they have at their school of choice? I mean, I'm happy players are being compensated, but this just seems like another way for the gray area schools to do the things they've been "illegally" doing for years in a "legal" manner. Cherry on top, we have the NCAA trying to enforce whatever rules there are around this, and that organization is a complete joke.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

Indeed. I'm not familiar with the rules around NIL, but is there anything to stop, say, a big time booster from paying a top recruit big bucks to "endorse" whatever product they have at their school of choice? I mean, I'm happy players are being compensated, but this just seems like another way for the gray area schools to do the things they've been "illegally" doing for years in a "legal" manner. Cherry on top, we have the NCAA trying to enforce whatever rules there are around this, and that organization is a complete joke.

I posted this on another forum, but if I had a big booster with cash to burn, this is what I would try and do.  Get them to start a seed company who pays the players to be their employees.  They then seek out advertising opportunities for the kids.  So if the local Buick dealer wants TJD to do an ad, they come to the Cook Advertising and Consulting Firm and we set that up for the player.  The player gets a 60% cut of that deal and the firm gets 40%.  The player also receives a base "salary" from the firm so that each NIL deal they are able to land, is really a bonus to them.

Start with $10 million, the money it took to get rid of Archie Miller.  Invest all that money from the start.  The market was averaging 14.8% gains over the past 10 years.  So in one year, by doing nothing but "exploring" how your company can work, you make $1,480,000.  The next year you start paying the 13 scholarship players a base salary of say $30k (average).  Then you start looking for places to hire the kids out.  Buick dealer has $10k for an ad campaign with TJD?  Cool.  He gets $6,000 and the fund gets $4,000.  You just keep investing that starter money and it is not long before each player is getting $100,000 + their 60% cut of the NIL engagements.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I posted this on another forum, but if I had a big booster with cash to burn, this is what I would try and do.  Get them to start a seed company who pays the players to be their employees.  They then seek out advertising opportunities for the kids.  So if the local Buick dealer wants TJD to do an ad, they come to the Cook Advertising and Consulting Firm and we set that up for the player.  The player gets a 60% cut of that deal and the firm gets 40%.  The player also receives a base "salary" from the firm so that each NIL deal they are able to land, is really a bonus to them.

Start with $10 million, the money it took to get rid of Archie Miller.  Invest all that money from the start.  The market was averaging 14.8% gains over the past 10 years.  So in one year, by doing nothing but "exploring" how your company can work, you make $1,480,000.  The next year you start paying the 13 scholarship players a base salary of say $30k (average).  Then you start looking for places to hire the kids out.  Buick dealer has $10k for an ad campaign with TJD?  Cool.  He gets $6,000 and the fund gets $4,000.  You just keep investing that starter money and it is not long before each player is getting $100,000 + their 60% cut of the NIL engagements.

Definitely an interesting concept. 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This transfer portal has to be a giant nightmare for all mid major coaches. Its almost like why even try to bring in a good player or develop them for someone else to poach. These are the teams that the Portal will hurt the most. Big schools will survive. I hate the whole idea of it. 

And i think this will affect those 100+ level ranked recruits.  Why go after a fringe 4* freshman when you can get a kid who has experience from the portal with a year or 2 college body already

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And i think this will affect those 100+ level ranked recruits.  Why go after a fringe 4* freshman when you can get a kid who has experience from the portal with a year or 2 college body already

Exactly why take a flyer on a guy that will be 12th man when he can go elsewhere play a year or two and then swoop in and get him 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly why take a flyer on a guy that will be 12th man when he can go elsewhere play a year or two and then swoop in and get him 

This portal things is going to get out of control i think.  Money is going to be flying around and the NCAA is not going to know how to get control of it once this cat is out of the bag

32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This transfer portal has to be a giant nightmare for all mid major coaches. Its almost like why even try to bring in a good player or develop them for someone else to poach. These are the teams that the Portal will hurt the most. Big schools will survive. I hate the whole idea of it. 

I don't know.  Mid-major schools are gonna feast on Power conference "rejects."  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, rico said:

But possibly lose the stars they found who normally would have stayed 3 years before becoming a grad student.  Which i am perfectly fine with.  I hate mid majors anyways lol

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Yep.  Kinda a two way street.  The kids that flopped(or were overrated) end up at the mid majors AND the late bloomers/unknowns that blossomed move up to the BIG Boys.

In both cases the players should have motivation to prove themselves.  Either redemption or yes I'm for real.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Yep.  Kinda a two way street.  The kids that flopped(or were overrated) end up at the mid majors AND the late bloomers/unknowns that blossomed move up to the BIG Boys.

In both cases the players should have motivation to prove themselves.  Either redemption or yes I'm for real.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

Well, IMO, one of the things that has leveled the field between the mids and the P5s is with OADs, you generally have 3-4 year starters at the mids going up against younger players at the P5s. The difference in talent is somewhat neutralized by having experienced players who have been in the same system for a few years. This new system could reduce or even eliminate that advantage for the mids. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

In a way you've described perfectly what Miami is doing on football side of things with their billionaire alumni John Ruiz. 

I've often joked (now it's legal) that if I ever won one of those huge lotteries I'd have IU on probation within a few years. Now it's all fair game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In a way you've described perfectly what Miami is doing on football side of things with their billionaire alumni John Ruiz. 

I've often joked (now it's legal) that if I ever won one of those huge lotteries I'd have IU on probation within a few years. Now it's all fair game. 

Yeah, it is the wild west.  Forget these large buyouts to coaches.  $10 million and we could have bought enough players that even Miller would have had a hard time losing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

57 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Enter Archie Miller here....

I'm not sure Archie's system works for P6 rejects.  A P6 reject is usually someone with talent that doesnt fully apply it.  Archie will thrive better with kids who work hard  that play above their talent level.

Archie will be getting more portal players from schools like New Hampshire and Maine than he will from UCONN or Syracuse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not sure Archie's system works for P6 rejects.  A P6 reject is usually someone with talent that doesnt fully apply it.  Archie will thrive better with kids who work hard  that play above their talent level.

Archie will be getting more portal players from schools like New Hampshire and Maine than he will from UCONN or Syracuse.

Joey Brunk.  Is that you?

• Haha 2