Transfer Portal 2022

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This portal things is going to get out of control i think.  Money is going to be flying around and the NCAA is not going to know how to get control of it once this cat is out of the bag

To be fair, the NCAA didn't know how to keep control even before this.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I cant see any coach with half a brain looking at Curbello.

It'll be interesting to see who kicks those tires...

I can see Minnesota, Nebraska, or Penn State maybe taking a look as far as Big 10 teams go...

The kid does have talent... whether he ever fully harnesses it is another story...

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, IMO, one of the things that has leveled the field between the mids and the P5s is with OADs, you generally have 3-4 year starters at the mids going up against younger players at the P5s. The difference in talent is somewhat neutralized by having experienced players who have been in the same system for a few years. This new system could reduce or even eliminate that advantage for the mids. 

I don't see it being all bad for the Mids.  They could end up getting some high rated freshman since the P5s won't have scholarships with the portal moves.   And then you have experienced P5 players stepping down that can help.  Mo Creek comes to mind.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can see Minnesota, Nebraska, or Penn State maybe taking a look as far as Big 10 teams go...

The kid does have talent... whether he ever fully harnesses it is another story...

No clue if they would be interested but given what Miami did with Moore...and proximity to his home of Puerto Rico I would think Miami might be a very appealing option for both. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue if they would be interested but given what Miami did with Moore...and proximity to his home of Puerto Rico I would think Miami might be a very appealing option for both. 

Larranaga might be good for him...I'm not sure of the whole dynamic, but Underwood gave him a lot of rope, but then just seemed to give up on him...

The way his departure tweet was worded it it sounded to me like Illinois didn't want him back...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Larranaga might be good for him...I'm not sure of the whole dynamic, but Underwood gave him a lot of rope, but then just seemed to give up on him...

The way his departure tweet was worded it it sounded to me like Illinois didn't want him back...

Are you saying Underwood wrote Curbello a Dear John letter?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He is best at napalming any type of offensive structure the coach tries to employ.  Will single-handedly contribute to 3-4 losses for any team he plays for.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't see the tweet but my guess is Underwood....like many veteran coaches....basically die with their experienced guys and just get to a point where they say hey kid I'm gonna get fired if I keep believing in you. 

Curbelo had his chances and he will again. Call this one a good divorce from both sides.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He is best at napalming any type of offensive structure the coach tries to employ.  Will single-handedly contribute to 3-4 losses for any team he plays for.

If he goes someplace where they just give him the keys without any accountability, yeah, I can see that...and that's what I'm afraid of for the kid...

If he'd listen to a coach that wants him to mature his game, I think he can have a productive career...but he can't be stubborn about it...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I don't see it being all bad for the Mids.  They could end up getting some high rated freshman since the P5s won't have scholarships with the portal moves.   And then you have experienced P5 players stepping down that can help.  Mo Creek comes to mind.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Fletcher Loyer at Davidson this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yeah, Curbello was quoted in an article: "Right out of the blue he wrote me a 'john-deere' letter... something about me not listening enough, I don't know... I wasn't really paying attention."

I'm fairly certain you are joking, but, if not, that is classic.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let's say some how TJD and Trace comes back but JG leaves.  That would give us two openings do what should we look at in the portal or a recruit.  I still think we need an elite shooter from a wing.

At this point, I think we look to the portal unless it’s a freshman who can make an immediate impact. And yes, I agree on the wing shooter. I think that is where we should be looking to take RP’s scholarship. 

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let's say some how TJD and Trace comes back but JG leaves.  That would give us two openings do what should we look at in the portal or a recruit.  I still think we need an elite shooter from a wing.

Is the inference that if Race and TJD come back JG leaves because he doesn't want to be on the bench behind Race?

- Has JG hinted at this? Is it "Starter or Bust"?

- Is there certainty that Race will start in front of him, should they both return? JG could develop in such a way that he's the lead 4? Or maybe he becomes the starting 3. He has a nice stroke and his trajectory as a good shooter is trending upward.