Transfer Portal 2022

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

JG's offensive rebound rate is significantly higher than either Race or Trayce.  With a team that cant shoot, that is important. 

I'll just say this. When I watch Jordan on the court he impacts the game at all 3-4 levels. Rebounding, Defense, mid range J....occasional 3,etc..

I'm in no way saying he's an OG clone but he's in the ballpark. Remember to all OG was averaging 13 minutes per game his freshman year with his 4 points. His minutes doubled but his production almost tripled the following year. $100M later who knew what we had on the bench. 

I want JG on the court next year and I hope he comes back. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 7

I hope Geronimo comes back. I went to the open practice in Dayton so I get it literally means nothing in the context of a practice but small things still stuck out to me. He was doing every stretch, every high knee, every lunge like it actually mattered. He went through drills and worked up a sweat and it looked like he cared and was focused on getting better.  Same with leal and Galloway. Then you had Race half assing the warm ups, missing shots and laughing about it, and seemed like he was disinterested being there. He missed 4 straight free throws and laughed. They you saw how he played in the games, which mirrored his practice.  Maybe he was in a funk idk, I honestly thought he was sick, but I’m burnt out on him if it means Geronimo leaving. We know what we have in Race, and he was a big part of our team,  but I’d rather have my eggs in the Geronimo basket with the hope he can sure up his dribble, work on his shot, and then get meaningful reps if I had a choice, which I don’t obviously. 

Edited by Hoosierfan1215
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is what everyone wanted.  Kind of hard to feel sorry for them now to be honest.  The minute you start getting paid out in the open is the minute this turned from an amateur league with a pro undercurrent to a pro league with an amateur undercurrent.  Yeah, kids were getting paid 5+ years ago too, but it was something that they had to at least somewhat try to hide.  Not anymore.

If you are getting that pro contract offer (a scholarship) you might want to make up your mind quick.  Coaches don't have to kiss a 16 year old's butt half as much anymore when they got 20 year olds waiting in the portal every year.

Edit to add:  the churn and burn of tweener player like TJD becomes more in doubt as well.  Players don't have to go pro to get paid, so that could mean less scholarships at the big schools.  Take those 2 Murray State kids that just entered the portal.  If you are Kentucky, do you take a run at them for a year or two or do you grab another one and done Freshman and hope for the best there?  I would grab the Murray State kids myself.  So if you are that one and done waiting around for a Kentucky offer, you may not have it come this summer.  And the list of other schools you have on the backburner may get tired of waiting on you.

Double edged sword perhaps, kind of hate what paying players does but on the other hand this could cut back on some of the primadonna stuff you see out of recruits.

To long only read first sentence. Not sure what the NIL  has to do with the portal taking spots from HS kids.

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Race is great and all but Geronimo starting with Trace and some good shooting guards is kinda exciting. I’m going to be disturbed if this talent behind seniority is an actual thing. 

Agree to an extent and disagree a bit too. JG didn't sit because seniority was ahead of him. He sat because TJD and Race were both much better. 

With that said, I do agree that I'm almost excited to see what a JG/TJD pair would be like. While I'd love to have Race back, there is something intriguing about a TJD/JG frontline with shooters and creators around them. 

• Like 5

Just by the quick eye test, and not sitting though practices etc - Geronimo strikes me as a high energy, athletic of freak of nature, that can explode to the rim and stretch the floor with his perimeter shooting. In my opinion, a breath of fresh air and something that can take this squad up a notch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree to an extent and disagree a bit too. JG didn't sit because seniority was ahead of him. He sat because TJD and Race were both much better. 

With that said, I do agree that I'm almost excited to see what a JG/TJD pair would be like. While I'd love to have Race back, there is something intriguing about a TJD/JG frontline with shooters and creators around them. 

I think at the end of the season we started to see a repeat of what happened with Justin Smith. The energy and positivity that Race was bringing it was clear he was slowly surplanting Justin at the 4. He was already eating into his minutes. I think we were seeing the same happen with Geronimo as with Race. The offense just played much better and the floor spacing was better. Geronimo was even better around the rim…or should I say above the rim. I think his natural progression will lead him past Race. Had Race fully developed that jumper this would be a different story but it’s pretty clear Race has tapped out his potential. Jordan is just moving past him on what he can do and how he helps the team.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just when Penny got that thing going in the right direction.  :coffee:

it was so clear from the start that he is not a coach.  he wasn't ready to be the head coach of a major program.  just had the name and connections.  didn't take long for him to get in trouble.  BTW - i know you were being sarcastic.  just something i hate.  so many good coaches out there have solid resumes and are ready for jobs they don't get because another guy has a big name.  

The Athletic has a good ranking of best available HS seniors and transfer portal options up, for anyone who subscribes. Looks to be constantly updated:

https://theathletic.com/3211734/2022/03/30/ranking-the-best-available-mens-college-basketball-transfers-and-high-school-recruits-for-2022-23/

A few notes that stood out to me. Reneau is currently #2 overall behind Yohan Traore. Julian Phillips is #3, with Brandon Murray #4, Curbelo #7, Brazile #8, Williams (Murray State big) #10, Terrance Shannon #11, Sparks #25, and McNeil #26.

For McNeil, they suggest he's a major defensive liability, one who West Virginia regularly had to game plan around to cover his deficiencies at that end.

Some other names that stood out, who I don't think have been brought up yet:

Will Richard (Belmont - #9 overall) - NBA athleticism and length, could be elite scorer with a tweak to his mechanics.

Jalen Bridges (WVU - #13 overall) - 6'7" wing who shot 40% from 3 in good minutes as a freshman, but took a step backwards as a sophomore despite increased minutes. Could be a good bounce back candidate who would thrive in "a well-spaced high-ball-screen scheme on offense and a switching defensive scheme."

Antonio Reeves (Illinois State - #19 overall) - 6'5" wing, high volume scorer with near elite shot creation skills, but struggles at facilitating others and on the defensive end.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6