Transfer Portal 2022

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

Do you wait as long as possible to see who else is jumping in? Do you ID someone quickly and hope to convince them ASAP? Do the players going into the portal ever reach out to the school and say, I want to go there? 

Yah, good questions, and similar to what I was thinking. There are a lot of guys in the portal, but do you snag what you need now and hope that someone better doesn't come along later? Is it like HS recruiting, where you're recruiting multiple people for the same spot, and FCFS wins? Just a hypothetical, but what if you fill your spots and then someone like Jaden Ivey enters the portal?

Pretty interesting to watch this sort of wild, wild west situation as it develops.

8 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yah, good questions, and similar to what I was thinking. There are a lot of guys in the portal, but do you snag what you need now and hope that someone better doesn't come along later? Is it like HS recruiting, where you're recruiting multiple people for the same spot, and FCFS wins? Just a hypothetical, but what if you fill your spots and then someone like Jaden Ivey enters the portal?

Pretty interesting to watch this sort of wild, wild west situation as it develops.

My opinion only...

If there are players available that fill needs, and you are confident in their abilities to do so, then you take them and don't look back. Nothing would destroy confidence worse than the coach coming back and saying , "Sorry, we found someone better." Staff has to do their due diligence thoroughly, so that as much as they can control this, they are offering the right kids.

Reputations are easily manipulated by other staffs as well. Hard enough to compete in the recruiting wars without having to overcome a reputation of recruiting over a player that has committed to the program.

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I don´t think so. It kinda came down to him or Banks. 

I've been high on Banks but had there been a choice between the two I'm pretty sure it would've been Phillps. He's plug and play from day one. Banks may need a little seasoning. 

Phillips, Reneau and Ward....I want all three. Then give me Kwame Evans for 2023. That's the type of recruiting impact we need to be having. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can I be 100% honest here?  I think everyone has this take until they don't.  Those vacations for Coach Knight were all good until the Patterson, Miller, Reed, Eggers, etc. years where his time off during recruiting ended up meaning that we were not getting the players into the program needed to win games.

So I will tell on myself now.  Being on vacation at the moment is all well and good as long as it works out.  If it doesn't, this is the type of thing that is going to be a data point in a list of what went wrong.  Just being honest.

I was a member of the downtown Indy health club NIFS (National Institute for Fitness and Sport) in the late 90s when it hosted the Nike All American Camp for a few years. All the best high school players in the country were there and so was every single college coach except one, Coach Knight. Remember seeing Coach K, Lute Olson, Tubby, Gene Keady and every other coach.  IU was represented by Mike Davis and John Treloar.  Had a friend who was really plugged into to the recruiting world and the word was always, "Coach Knight is in Canada on a fishing trip" or "Coach Knight's on a big golfing trip." Drove me crazy. Its why I'm a little leery of hearing about a recruiting approach where the head coach is only the "closer".  Coach Woodson's been off to a really solid start when it comes to recruiting and there are other factors that favor him (a couple strong recruiters as assistants) over Coach Knight in Knight's final IU years . . . but I do worry a little about how much a lifetime NBA guy really wants to be involved in recruiting.   

• Like 3

Can I be 100% honest here?  I think everyone has this take until they don't.  Those vacations for Coach Knight were all good until the Patterson, Miller, Reed, Eggers, etc. years where his time off during recruiting ended up meaning that we were not getting the players into the program needed to win games.

So I will tell on myself now.  Being on vacation at the moment is all well and good as long as it works out.  If it doesn't, this is the type of thing that is going to be a data point in a list of what went wrong.  Just being honest.

All I can say is hopefully this is the last scheduled vacation in March Woody ever takes. Needs to make it a habit of those starting after April 5th from now on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TargaFlorio said:

I was a member of the downtown Indy health club NIFS (National Institute for Fitness and Sport) in the late 90s when it hosted the Nike All American Camp for a few years. All the best high school players in the country were there and so was every single college coach except one, Coach Knight. Remember seeing Coach K, Lute Olson, Tubby, Gene Keady and every other coach.  IU was represented by Mike Davis and John Treloar.  Had a friend who was really plugged into to the recruiting world and the word was always, "Coach Knight is in Canada on a fishing trip" or "Coach Knight's on a big golfing trip." Drove me crazy. Its why I'm a little leery of hearing about a recruiting approach where the head coach is only the "closer".  Coach Woodson's been off to a really solid start when it comes to recruiting and there are other factors that favor him (a couple strong recruiters as assistants) over Coach Knight in Knight's final IU years . . . but I do worry a little about how much a lifetime NBA guy really wants to be involved in recruiting.   

Yep, we are on the same page.  If this works out, great, enjoy the vacation.  If it doesn't though, this will be one of the things that gets harped on incessantly as to why we are not winning, particularly if recruiting does not continue to improve. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yep, we are on the same page.  If this works out, great, enjoy the vacation.  If it doesn't though, this will be one of the things that gets harped on incessantly as to why we are not winning, particularly if recruiting does not continue to improve. 

No doubt. In pro sports, as soon as the season ends, everyone leaves for vacation. Not sure Woody will ever see himself fully in the college coach mold. Don't recall if it was in the BTT or against Wyoming, but a sideline reporter asked him a question and his response included, "I'm an NBA guy", she laughed, but replied that he's in college now. His Twitter account is still @MikeWoodsonNBA

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I suppose… if you want to nitpick.

You really think that a recruit who has been prospected over 2-3-4 years is going to be lost because of a few days?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I suppose… if you want to nitpick.

You really think that a recruit who has been prospected over 2-3-4 years is going to be lost because of a few days?

Things go pretty quickly with the portal, not 2-4 years and Woodson has not been building relationships with guys that long.  

Edit to add:  And again, I am not not picking at all....right now.  If everything goes well, nobody will care.  These things only matter when things do not go well.

Edited by IUCrazy2

50 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No doubt. In pro sports, as soon as the season ends, everyone leaves for vacation. Not sure Woody will ever see himself fully in the college coach mold. Don't recall if it was in the BTT or against Wyoming, but a sideline reporter asked him a question and his response included, "I'm an NBA guy", she laughed, but replied that he's in college now. His Twitter account is still @MikeWoodsonNBA

Yeah... and he tried to change that and make a new Twitter account and the IU media team didn't let him. 

Dudes on Twitter like once a month.

That seriously bothers you? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah... and he tried to change that and make a new Twitter account and the IU media team didn't let him. 

Dudes on Twitter like once a month.

That seriously bothers you? 

Doesn’t bother me at all. Just think he’ll always see himself as an NBA guy. It has pluses and minuses. As IUCrazy2 said, none of those things matter if he wins 

So when can college coaches take a vacation.  April and May has some AAU tournaments so he needs to go to those. July has no time off and August school starts back.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Doesn’t bother me at all. Just think he’ll always see himself as an NBA guy. It has pluses and minuses. As IUCrazy2 said, none of those things matter if he wins 

I don't really see any minuses. It's evident he is connecting with a good number of our players by their reactions and answer in interviews when asked about CMW.