Transfer Portal 2022

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So kid who is in the portal is having dinner with a coach who gets paid to recruit potential prospects and this is news? What am I missing here?

I'm not seeing anybody suggest it's a scandal, merely that we have some degree of interest. Not page 1 news, but still news.

• Like 1

I don't think we have the available wings mins everyone thinks we do. JHS is going to play plenty there, TG is not getting his 20-24mpg taken, Kopp is going to play 15-25mpg depending on his shooting.... and we should all expect Bates to play 20-25mpg, imo. 

If you think about it like that... I don't see how you can convince some stud wing to come here. They might get beat out anyway. We might be better served to find a young kid-- the player mentioned above-- has some skills we like. Plenty of foreign players have an adjustment period when coming over here. Ex. Vescovi from Tennessee. 

I don't think we have the option of bringing in a ringer for our last scholarship.  There aren't mins. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't think we have the available wings mins everyone thinks we do. JHS is going to play plenty there, TG is not getting his 20-24mpg taken, Kopp is going to play 15-25mpg depending on his shooting.... and we should all expect Bates to play 20-25mpg, imo. 

If you think about it like that... I don't see how you can convince some stud wing to come here. They might get beat out anyway. We might be better served to find a young kid-- the player mentioned above-- has some skills we like. Plenty of foreign players have an adjustment period when coming over here. Ex. Vescovi from Tennessee. 

I don't think we have the option of bringing in a ringer for our last scholarship.  There aren't mins. 

We all, well most of us get that, but the common denominator of all those dudes is they are not pure shooters.  JHS is hopefully so good you can't keep him off the floor.  Bates hopefully performs at a level that you can't keep him off the floor but nothing in his shot so far has indicated he will shoot 40%ish from deep.  Trey's poor shot hasn't improved in 2 years but he brings other things to warrant 20 mins a game.  Kopp finished the season shooting near 40% and depending on how the bigs development shakes out, maybe we play more of a true 4 out, I hope.  

Bottom line, need true shooter.  Not that a dude hitting 20something is the answer.

Edited by NotIThatLives

52 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There was a thread on Peegs about this and it got taken down by one of the mods. Speculation that IU didn’t want it out there but it’s a little late for that. 

Not shocking.  Peegs and Rabjohns do IUs bidding.  Always have and always will. They want something out and that is where they go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

We all, well most of us get that, but the common denominator of all those dudes is they have are not pure shooters.  JHS is hopefully so good you can't keep him off the floor.  Bates hopefully performs at a level that you can't keep him off the floor but nothing in his shot so far has indicated he will shoot 40%ish from deep.  Trey's poor shot hasn't improved in 2 years but he brings other things to warrant 20 mins a game.  Kopp finished the season shooting near 40% and depending on how the bigs development shakes out, maybe we play more of a true 4 out, I hope.  

Bottom line, need true shooter.  Not that a dude hitting 20something is the answer.

What team in the F4 played a pure shooter? It isn't needed. We don't need to shoot 40% from 3. Trey's shot has absolutely improved... it looked immensely better this past season. I think he will shoot 30%. The %s aren't the only problem, though. The amount or lack of is the problem. Villanova's top 6 wings in conference play shot 94/262 from 3-- under 36%. 

Bottom line, I don't see that a true shooter is NEEDED. And I don't see how someone that shoots 40% from 3... is going to be fine with spot mins because that is what looks like to be open, at this point, on the wing... is spot minutes. 

So-- maybe someone like this is the best route. What did this kid shoot in Europe before coming here? 

Just now, IU_Realist said:

Not shocking.  Peegs and Rabjohns do IUs bidding.  Always have and always will. They want something out and that is where they go.

Peegs put it back up as one of the kids over there took it down for now reason. There mods jump the gun on stuff sometimes and it’s rather ridiculous. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What team in the F4 played a pure shooter? It isn't needed. We don't need to shoot 40% from 3. Trey's shot has absolutely improved... it looked immensely better this past season. I think he will shoot 30%. The %s aren't the only problem, though. The amount or lack of is the problem. Villanova's top 6 wings in conference play shot 94/262 from 3-- under 36%. 

Bottom line, I don't see that a true shooter is NEEDED. And I don't see how someone that shoots 40% from 3... is going to be fine with spot mins because that is what looks like to be open, at this point, on the wing... is spot minutes. 

So-- maybe someone like this is the best route. What did this kid shoot in Europe before coming here? 

Without looking, Trey shot in the teens as a frosh with a hurt wrist and a wrap.  This season with a healed wrist and no wrap he shoots mid 20something.  It was cringed worthy, unreliable, and not respected.  He has to become respectable at a minimum.  He would be dangerous at 34 or better.  The form looked very much the same, just not injured and wrapped.  The numbers jumped back to his mean.  I think Bates can be respected.  Kopp already is.  I pray JHS performs at a respectable level as well because if he can just be sagged off of, he will struggle once B1G rolls around.  I have high hopes.  

Plain and simple, i don't want a one dimensional guy either.  If Bates can develop great but banking on that is risky.  

If I'm a mid major scoring guard that wants to prove myself, I look at Indiana and see no reason I can't come get 25 minutes here.  

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Without looking, Trey shot in the teens as a frosh with a hurt wrist and a wrap.  This season with a healed wrist and no wrap he shoots mid 20something.  It was cringed worthy, unreliable, and not respected.  He has to become respectable at a minimum.  He would be dangerous at 34 or better.  The form looked very much the same, just not injured and wrapped.  The numbers jumped back to his mean.  I think Bates can be respected.  Kopp already is.  I pray JHS performs at a respectable level as well because if he can just be sagged off of, he will struggle once B1G rolls around.  I have high hopes.  

Plain and simple, i don't want a one dimensional guy either.  If Bates can develop great but banking on that is risky.  

If I'm a mid major scoring guard that wants to prove myself, I look at Indiana and see no reason I can't come get 25 minutes here.  

The form looked a lot better compared to his FR year, which looked a lot better compared to his SR year in HS.B But, either way... we aren't bringing in a transfer to play ahead of Trey. I'm not worried about Tamar's shooting. 

Where are you going to get 25mins? JHS is playing 15 mins a game at the wing or more. You only have 80 mins total-- Bates+TG+Kopp= 60mpg at least.... 

Kopp just needs to shoot 1-2% better. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

There was a thread on Peegs about this and it got taken down by one of the mods. Speculation that IU didn’t want it out there but it’s a little late for that. 

If you wanted it quiet why would you have the public meeting at that location?  It would be like one of Matt Painter's assistants going to Nick's to have a "secret" meeting with Phinissee about coming to Purdue.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If you wanted it quiet why would you have the public meeting at that location?  It would be like one of Matt Painter's assistants going to Nick's to have a "secret" meeting with Phinissee about coming to Purdue.

Or maybe they just didn't care about it being quiet and that is a completely fabricated rumor, per usual. 

Edited by btownqb

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Have you watched him? 

I watched a few games with my officer at the firehouse, a Butler sports hall of famer lol in swimming and soccer.  That team was unathletic and couldn't shoot.  

You guys can get excited for a 6 pt 27% shooter for a horrible horrible team but I'm not taking that bait.

• Like 4