Transfer Portal 2022

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I watched a few games with my officer at the firehouse, a Butler sports hall of famer lol in swimming and soccer.  That team was unathletic and couldn't shoot.  

You guys can get excited for a 6 pt 27% shooter for a horrible horrible team but I'm not taking that bait.

I never once pretended to be excited. 

I'm just realistic in the type of player we are going to be able to add. 

Edited by btownqb

The kid's form looks stupid good. 33-35 FT in conference. It's not like the kid can't shoot. There is something else there, from watching the Xavier game... no way he should have played on the ball as much as he did. 

Max B was 11-41 from 3 in college before showing up to IU. He was 29-64 in the one year at IU. Fit matters. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The form looked a lot better compared to his FR year, which looked a lot better compared to his SR year in HS.B But, either way... we aren't bringing in a transfer to play ahead of Trey. I'm not worried about Tamar's shooting. 

Where are you going to get 25mins? JHS is playing 15 mins a game at the wing or more. You only have 80 mins total-- Bates+TG+Kopp= 60mpg at least.... 

Kopp just needs to shoot 1-2% better. 

I want X to get 32 a game but he's most effective with more breathers and he only avg 27.7 last year.  Can JHS handle point duties while X is off the court?  Hopefully, so 12 at the point and another 10 along side?  Kopp got 25 and Trey got 20.  Could Kopp become more a 4 like we did many times down the stretch with Race on the bench a few times?  Maybe Kopp grabs 10 as the 4 in a small ball lineup and 10 as a 3?  Trey, until he limits the mistakes and hits shots, Im ok with him at 20.  Bates got 15 this year, hoping for a huge leap but even if he's not Im expecting closer to 20.  

So at point X and JHS take the 40

Tamar takes the 20, JHS gets 10

Trey gets 20, Kopp gets 10

4 spot smaller ball Kopp gets 10.  

Again, if I'm the stud I think I am and looking to prove it on the big stage I see a minimum of 20 wing minutes and no reason to believe based on last years 10th place performance that I can't usurp these guys in pt.

Do we want start now B1G contender talent?  Or another 15 minute sprinkle that doesn't contribute to actual wins?

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I want X to get 32 a game but he's most effective with more breathers and he only avg 27.7 last year.  Can JHS handle point duties while X is off the court?  Hopefully, so 12 at the point and another 10 along side?  Kopp got 25 and Trey got 20.  Could Kopp become more a 4 like we did many times down the stretch with Race on the bench a few times?  Maybe Kopp grabs 10 as the 4 in a small ball lineup and 10 as a 3?  Trey, until he limits the mistakes and hits shots, Im ok with him at 20.  Bates got 15 this year, hoping for a huge leap but even if he's not Im expecting closer to 20.  

So at point X and JHS take the 40

Tamar takes the 20, JHS gets 10

Trey gets 20, Kopp gets 10

4 spot smaller ball Kopp gets 10.  

Again, if I'm the stud I think I am and looking to prove it on the big stage I see a minimum of 20 wing minutes and no reason to believe based on last years 10th place performance that I can't usurp these guys in pt.

Do we want start now B1G contender talent?  Or another 15 minute sprinkle that doesn't contribute to actual wins?

XJ will avg more like 30-31mpg this season and I don't see anyway JHS doesn't avg 25-28. That is 15-18mpg at the 2. 

You now have 55 wing mins left to split between-- Bates, TG, and Kopp. 

59 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Without looking, Trey shot in the teens as a frosh with a hurt wrist and a wrap.  This season with a healed wrist and no wrap he shoots mid 20something.  It was cringed worthy, unreliable, and not respected.  He has to become respectable at a minimum.  He would be dangerous at 34 or better.  The form looked very much the same, just not injured and wrapped.  The numbers jumped back to his mean.  I think Bates can be respected.  Kopp already is.  I pray JHS performs at a respectable level as well because if he can just be sagged off of, he will struggle once B1G rolls around.  I have high hopes.  

Plain and simple, i don't want a one dimensional guy either.  If Bates can develop great but banking on that is risky.  

If I'm a mid major scoring guard that wants to prove myself, I look at Indiana and see no reason I can't come get 25 minutes here.  

Not everyone is going to look like Steph Curry when they shoot. Reggie Miller and Larry Bird have some of the most god awful, funky shots in history but nobody would dare bet against it going in. On the other side of the coin, and ive said it before, Rob has the prettiest shot ive ever seen for somebody that couldnt throw it in the ocean off of a life raft. 

I dont exactly want another Roth on the team, but id love to have a Ziesloft. 

• Like 1

A good veteran portal player should look at IN and see starter minutes available at the two and three positions. Kopp, Bates & Galloway haven’t shown that they are starters on an upper tier B1G team. Those wing position minutes should be wide open and need an upgrade. 

Bates should improve, but I’m not betting the season on that or relying on JHS. CBB is suddenly a veterans game with some young guys sprinkled in. Our veteran wings aren’t good enough 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

XJ will avg more like 30-31mpg this season and I don't see anyway JHS doesn't avg 25-28. That is 15-18mpg at the 2. 

You now have 55 wing mins left to split between-- Bates, TG, and Kopp. 

Tamar Bates was almost a five star and was lauded for his defense yet when he got here he was nowhere near ready.  X did bump up his minutes in conference to 28.7 and I'm guessing more down the stretch.  So yeah, i gave JHS 22.  

I personally would like to see us go small with Kopp and Geronimo working the four spot with race or trace or whoever it may be at a 5.  I'm okay with Race in four spot if he's shooting like he did down the stretch from outside at least he's a threat.  If not he can play the 5. 

We are still at risk of going into another season without a legit scoring guard.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Tamar Bates was almost a five star and was lauded for his defense yet when he got here he was nowhere near ready.  X did bump up his minutes in conference to 28.7 and I'm guessing more down the stretch.  So yeah, i gave JHS 22.  

I personally would like to see us go small with Kopp and Geronimo working the four spot with race or trace or whoever it may be at a 5.  I'm okay with Race in four spot if he's shooting like he did down the stretch from outside at least he's a threat.  If not he can play the 5. 

We are still at risk of going into another season without a legit scoring guard.  

I just don't see the mins available you're seeing, at all. I think you low balled how much JHS, TB, TG, and MK will play. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just don't see the mins available you're seeing, at all. I think you low balled how much JHS, TB, TG, and MK will play. 

Then our cap is 5th in conference and I'm sick and tired of losing.  

Why would losing Parker Stewart and Rob and adding one really good freshman and one player that's worse than Rob and Parker mean that we're going to be way better next year?  We're not.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Then our cap is 5th in conference and I'm sick and tired of losing.  

Why would losing Parker Stewart and Rob and adding one really good freshman and one player that's worse than Rob and Parker mean that we're going to be way better next year?  We're not.  

Our cap would be much higher then that. People grow as basketball players? 

Parker is addition by subtraction and so is Rob. They are awful and not B1G caliber players. And then you throw in actual development by Bates and TG... add in JHS. If our staff is legit... Bates is a player next year and TG gets healthy he is a damn good sub wing. 

Edited by btownqb

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I low balled them because we only placed 10th on conference last year with them and we must improve.  JHS is hopefully a part of an answer but we hoped a very similarly ranked Bates was going to be a part last year and he wasn't ready.  

I want to win more so I want better players   i like them but I love winning more.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Our cap would be much higher then that. People grow as basketball players? 

Parker is addition by subtraction and so is Rob. They are awful and not B1G caliber players. And then you throw in actual development by Bates and TG... add in JHS. If our staff is legit... Bates is a player next year and TG gets healthy he is a damn good sub wing. 

Fan bases always overvalue their team. If we don't get start now Big ten caliber players then no preseason ranking will have us better than fifth in conference.  And no one outside of this board or other home or IU fans would have us any higher either.  

• Like 1

I low balled them because we only placed 10th on conference last year with them and we must improve.  JHS is hopefully a part of an answer but we hoped a very similarly ranked Bates was going to be a part last year and he wasn't ready.  

I want to win more so I want better players   i like them but I love winning more.  

Which has nothing to do with JHS. There is not precedent for a kid ranked as highly as he is and showing up and not playing big mins his first season.  

What is our record with TG healthy? What's our record if we don't have suspended dudes vs. NW? Why would TG, Bates, and MK be the same players from last year? Every single team in the offseason expects their players to grow. When will Indiana's players start? Last off season showed huge growth in-- XJ, TJD, and RT. I believe in JG, as well, but not as much. 

Fan bases always overvalue their team. If we don't get start now Big ten caliber players then no preseason ranking will have us better than fifth in conference.  And no one outside of this board or other home or IU fans would have us any higher either.  

Who cares? Fan are stupid and so is the media. Kentucky is literally pre season ranked top 10 every year and if most teams played them in NOV... they would beat them. 

People ranking s*** they don't know anything about is the reason KL was ranked top 20 in his class. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who cares? Fan are stupid and so is the media. Kentucky is literally pre season ranked top 10 every year and if most teams played them in NOV... they would beat them. 

People ranking s*** they don't know anything about is the reason KL was ranked top 20 in his class. 

Ouch

TB showed up on campus 6'5 170. JHS is 6'5 210 right now. I don't see more wing mins available, or at least not big mins... that is why I feel like there have been some "underwhelming" discussions we have had with some guys. That was sort of my point to begin with. Not that I absolutely loved our roster and saw nothing wrong with it. 

16 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

We don’t tell the enemy our secrets!🤓

12 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Ivey and Edey if I had to guess. 

And they don't know that we've decoded their messages over on G&B Illustrated...

Big talk over there was the cross DNA experiment with Ivey and Edey, code named "Evey."

They grew it in a Petri dish, but the first version came out as a 4'9 Evan Boudreaux...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4