Transfer Portal 2022

I think there are TOs TG makes because of his inexperience. Yogi made similar. 

I am somewhat confused about the "loose with the ball" because, as I said, I do think he makes a stupid TO once every two games... just an ungodly bad one, but... he by no means had any sort of habitual problem with it and the main reason I think that is he played 24mpg in conference games and only avg 1.5 TOs. That is pretty average in terms of turnovers over 24 mins, especially when you factor in how much he handles the ball. 

Simply put.. I think some are allowing his lack of 3pt % to skew their overall opinion of him at 18-22mpg. 

It was mentioned to "replace" him and I think that would be pretty hard to do.. it doesn't seem there are as many willing to do the types of things that he does. 

Flat out don't beat ILL, Michigan, OSU, and Purdue without him. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

My wife owns a bakery. How many donuts, brownies and pies does she need to make in order for TJD to stay?

You and your wife could pitch Trayce a NIL contract for the bakery! 🧐🤓

It reminds me of how Reggie Miller is the current spokesperson for Wendy’s…🤣🤣🤣

6213F059-ED87-41D1-BBB9-FDC514EBE9BA.gif

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ok, I understand the pessimism to a point but...

So far, look at what some of the teams above us have done this off season...

Wisconsin...we lost both games to them. Two games we should have won. But why did we lose? Johnny Davis and Brad Davison, that's why. Who have they lost for sure? Johnny Davis and Brad Davison...they've got some nice pieces coming back (Wahl, Hepburn, Crowl) but they've lost depth as Ben Carlson and Lorne Bowman both transferred.

Illinois...split with them. If Kofi doesn't come back, I don't see them in the top half of the league. They lose Frazier, Plummer, Williams, Payne and  possibly Grandison. Even with Kofi I think they struggle. Melendez is going to be a star, and Goode might be ok, but they're losing a lot of depth and experience.

Purdue...split with them too, and was in the game at Mackey. Free throw discrepancy aside, we can handle them. They lose Trevion Williams and Ivey. Their go to guys. 

Ohio State...split with them. They lose EJ Liddell, and possibly Branham. Justice Sueing might be back, and I think Meechie Johnson will eventually be a star, but Liddell and Branham we're their "go tos." 

Iowa...loses Keggan Murray and Bohannn. Their "go to." They probably have the most coming back, but when the chips are down, who do they go to? Patrick McCaffery? Kris Murray?

Rutgers loses Ron Harper Jr. Remember how they beat us? Geo Baker is leaving too. 

Sparty loses Gabe Brown, Marcus Bingham, and possibly Max Christie

My point is, if TJD comes back, we keep our go to. Our coaching staff has basically had 1 year to develop our kids and I think are doing a good job. I think Bates will have a bust out year and be the 3 level guy we've been searching for forever. I like our team. 

I've been watching Big 10 basketball for a lot of years. This is the way it works. Top teams lose players and have to fill those holes. Sure, players and teams can surprise you (Wisconsin) but I think next year, if either TJD or Race (or both) comes back, and considering what the teams ahead of us lost we'll be right in there for the Big 10 crown...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wisconsin...we lost both games to them. Two games we should have won. But why did we lose? Johnny Davis and Brad Davison, that's why. Who have they lost for sure? Johnny Davis and Brad Davison...they've got some nice pieces coming back (Wahl, Hepburn, Crowl) but they've lost depth as Ben Carlson and Lorne Bowman both transferred.

Illinois...split with them. If Kofi doesn't come back, I don't see them in the top half of the league. They lose Frazier, Plummer, Williams, Payne and  possibly Grandison. Even with Kofi I think they struggle. Melendez is going to be a star, and Goode might be ok, but they're losing a lot of depth and experience.

Purdue...split with them too, and was in the game at Mackey. Free throw discrepancy aside, we can handle them. They lose Trevion Williams and Ivey. Their go to guys. 

Ohio State...split with them. They lose EJ Liddell, and possibly Branham. Justice Sueing might be back, and I think Meechie Johnson will eventually be a star, but Liddell and Branham we're their "go tos." 

Iowa...loses Keggan Murray and Bohannn. Their "go to." They probably have the most coming back, but when the chips are down, who do they go to? Patrick McCaffery? Kris Murray?

Rutgers loses Ron Harper Jr. Remember how they beat us? Geo Baker is leaving too. 

My point is, if TJD comes back, we keep our go to. Our coaching staff has basically had 1 year to develop our kids and I think are doing a good job. I think Bates will have a bust out year and be the 3 level guy we've been searching for forever. I like our team. 

I've been watching Big 10 basketball for a lot of years. This is the way it works. Top teams lose players and have to fill those holes. Sure, players and teams can surprise you (Wisconsin) but I think next year, if either TJD or Race (or both) comes back, and considering what the teams ahead of us lost we'll be right in there for the Big 10 crown...

Great post, I have seen Brahnam in the top 15 in some mock drafts so he probably will he gone.  I have seen Christie in some as well but have a hard time seeing him go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SMU Kendric Davis entered the portal today, he was the AAC player of the year. Shot 37.2% from 3-point range. Would love to see the IU coaching staff contact him. Will probably be considered the top transfer and have a long list of teams after him. He declared for the draft a couple of days ago.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm more pessimistic now than ever.  You couldn't seem to find a reason why we would be better than Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn State, Northwestern, and Maryland.  :coffee:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I am anxious to here some good news who we are add on our roster for next year ! Haven’t seen anything finale on Race, JG, Bates, Duncomb or Johnson.   Don’t understand why Race hasn’t made a decision? 

Race might be waiting to see what Trayce is going to do. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think there are TOs TG makes because of his inexperience. Yogi made similar. 

I am somewhat confused about the "loose the ball" because, as I said, I do think he makes a stupid TO once every two games... just an ungodly bad one, but... he by no means had any sort of habitual problem with it and the main reason I think that is he played 24mpg in conference games and only avg 1.5 TOs. That is pretty average in terms of turnovers over 24 mins, especially when you factor in how much he handles the ball. 

Simply put.. I think some are allowing his lack of 3pt % to skew their overall opinion of him at 18-22mpg. 

It was mentioned to "replace" him and I think that would be pretty hard to do.. it doesn't seem there are as many willing to do the types of things that he does. 

Flat out don't beat ILL, Michigan, OSU, and Purdue without him. 

With maturity the game will slow down for him and he won’t get sped up and will stay under control more. That said his attacking style is desperately needed on our team as outside XJ he was the only player that could break down a defense for us.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't know why you would think that, other than homerism or other teams getting worse?

Well first place other teams have gotten worse. Also it is called improvement from within, Bates, Jordan, Galloway should be improved. Or do you think players never improve when they get to college. Logan is also a blank slate so we don't know what he can be. 

Plus the freshman coming in are pretty good players. I've seen JHS play a few games and he is the real deal. Banks I haven't seen much of but most people think pretty highly of him. Gunn is a four year player so he will take longer. Also Coach Woodson has another year of adjusting to college ball so he will be improved.

Teams lose great players all the time in college and still have good teams the following season. Just look at Iowa who lost Garza and improved with Murray who nobody expected to turn out like he did. Or Wisconsin with Davis, he came out of nowhere and they surprised people this season.

We also have no clue who Coach Woodson is bringing in from the portal. There are plenty of reasons to think IU will be good even without Trayce, so no homerism here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm trying to figure out how Wisconsin will do it once again. Davis meant so much to them as well as Davison and they don't have much to replace them that I can see. Hepburn will probably be "the guy" for them but is he good enough? Getting guys from the portal just doesn't seem to be their MO and they only have 1 3* guard coming in. I'm sure they'll somehow finish top 4 anyway.

Grandison is very likely not returning for Illinois, he's going to get on with his career. Kofi is still TBD but either way you're right, a very inexperienced though talented team next season.

Michigan's another interesting one if Dickinson, Diabate and Houstan all come back they'll be really tough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I'm trying to figure out how Wisconsin will do it once again. Davis meant so much to them as well as Davison and they don't have much to replace them that I can see. Hepburn will probably be "the guy" for them but is he good enough? Getting guys from the portal just doesn't seem to be their MO and they only have 1 3* guard coming in. I'm sure they'll somehow finish top 4 anyway.

Grandison is very likely not returning for Illinois, he's going to get on with his career. Kofi is still TBD but either way you're right, a very inexperienced though talented team next season.

Michigan's another interesting one if Dickinson, Diabate and Houstan all come back they'll be really tough.

IF UM brings all 3 back they will be the top team in the big ten.  I guess we will have to wait to see if Howard is interested in the Lakers job

1 minute ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Have we addressed your lack of three point shooters? 
Are we counting on one of these incoming freshmen to do it? 
can Bates breakout and do it? Kopp if he come back ? Johnson if he’s still on the team? Just a lot up in the air for us in my humble opinion! 

Almost every single team in college ball has questions coming into a season. Michigan and Illinois are potential Top20 teams along with the Hoosiers, but they also have big question marks. Is Kofi returning, can they replace the shooting and experience that Frazier and Plummer provided. Michigan has players possibly going to the draft so how good will they be if those players do go.

The B1G is going to be down next season so the regular season championship is wide open. Don't care about the B1G tourney lol.

33 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Well first place other teams have gotten worse. Also it is called improvement from within, Bates, Jordan, Galloway should be improved. Or do you think players never improve when they get to college. Logan is also a blank slate so we don't know what he can be. 

Plus the freshman coming in are pretty good players. I've seen JHS play a few games and he is the real deal. Banks I haven't seen much of but most people think pretty highly of him. Gunn is a four year player so he will take longer. Also Coach Woodson has another year of adjusting to college ball so he will be improved.

Teams lose great players all the time in college and still have good teams the following season. Just look at Iowa who lost Garza and improved with Murray who nobody expected to turn out like he did. Or Wisconsin with Davis, he came out of nowhere and they surprised people this season.

We also have no clue who Coach Woodson is bringing in from the portal. There are plenty of reasons to think IU will be good even without Trayce, so no homerism here.

I forgot about the emergence of Logan Duncomb.  You are right, no homerism, i just forgot that all of our bench players will be awesome as starters and no one else in the conference is trying to improve either.  So, 3rd's about the floor?

2 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Have we addressed your lack of three point shooters? 
Are we counting on one of these incoming freshmen to do it? 
can Bates breakout and do it? Kopp if he come back ? Johnson if he’s still on the team? Just a lot up in the air for us in my humble opinion! 

Agree with the uncertainty. I’m not confident we have the in-house guys that will just get better enough over the off-season to make a massive team improvement. Hope I’m wrong bc otherwise we’re counting on three freshmen to make the difference. I’m with some others, very few freshmen make huge impacts. Really hoping we snag an athletic wing in the portal that can shoot it and get his own shot. As of now, I just don’t see where the big improvement from a W/L standpoint will come. I mean if we have everybody back of the 9 current players, there has to be some type of improvement, but enough to move the needle significantly? TG’s shot going to improve? Bates going to figure out patience / defense? JG going to take another leap? I mean, TJD, RT, and XJ are who they are going to be. Idk. 

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I forgot about the emergence of Logan Duncomb.  You are right, no homerism, i just forgot that all of our bench players will be awesome as starters and no one else in the conference is trying to improve either.  So, 3rd's about the floor?

I said we have no clue about Logan, but nice try though. And evidently you only think other teams improve but not the Hoosiers. Also I never said they will be 3rd without Trayce, if you paid attention I said they won't finish 10th if he leaves. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative so you keep on being you ok.

Edited by Hoosier51

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Ok no reason to be a dick like this. I said we have no clue about Logan, but nice try though. And evidently you only think other teams improve but not the Hoosiers. Also I never said they will be 3rd without Trayce, if you paid attention I said they won't finish 10th if he leaves. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative so you keep on being you ok.

Im being sarcastic.  I should have put the :coffee:.  

I just dont see any way possible we are much better than 6th without Trayce.  I guess we are in the running for JHS teammate, ranked 21.  Then it goes back to who are we relying on to score the bucket?  Trey, Kopp, Bates or a transfer that had one good game all year and averaged 6 a game on the worst Butler team in 20 years.  

I think Jalen is great.  Reminds me of Brunson from UConn.  Just strong as hell.  But he's not a scorer, great piece, great addition.l but a freahman. Maybe these guys develop immensely in the off season.  Maybe we finally have a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts.  Hasn't happened much in the last decade so I guess we are due.  We do have a great staff and I think Woodson and his visiting buddies are going to make some strides.  X and potentially Race and Kopp are the only things we have that we know what we are going to get and even those three have proven to be streaky. More hopes than guarantees with the rest.  

I guess Im just really bummed we are even looking at a guy that's not going to increase our win total next year.  We had 4 years of this with Archie.  Must get start now B1G material.  If we do and Bates and Jalen still deserve to be the starters next year, then heck yeah, that means we are rolling now.  Not trotting out hope so's

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I said we have no clue about Logan, but nice try though. And evidently you only think other teams improve but not the Hoosiers. Also I never said they will be 3rd without Trayce, if you paid attention I said they won't finish 10th if he leaves. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative so you keep on being you ok.

Did you think IU would finish 10th this past year?

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im being sarcastic.  I should have put the :coffee:.  

I just dont see any way possible we are much better than 6th without Trayce.  I guess we are in the running for JHS teammate, ranked 21.  Then it goes back to who are we relying on to score the bucket?  Trey, Kopp, Bates or a transfer that had one good game all year and averaged 6 a game on the worst Butler team in 20 years.  

I think Jalen is great.  Reminds me of Brunson from UConn.  Just strong as hell.  But he's not a scorer, great piece, great addition.l but a freahman. Maybe these guys develop immensely in the off season.  Maybe we finally have a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts.  Hasn't happened much in the last decade so I guess we are due.  We do have a great staff and I think Woodson and his visiting buddies are going to make some strides.  X and potentially Race and Kopp are the only things we have that we know what we are going to get and even those three have proven to be streaky. More hopes than guarantees with the rest.  

I guess Im just really bummed we are even looking at a guy that's not going to increase our win total next year.  We had 4 years of this with Archie.  Must get start now B1G material.  If we do and Bates and Jalen still deserve to be the starters next year, then heck yeah, that means we are rolling now.  Not trotting out hope so's

This year in the big ten should show you that a guy can improve greatly in one year.  Davis at UW went from being a role player to be an AA and Murray at Iowa did the same thing.

• Thanks 1