Transfer Portal 2022

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The difference between IU and Purdue can be seen with the reaction this year versus how IU reacts.  When IU lost to a formidable Syracuse team in the tourney, the fan base was inconsolable.  

This year, the Purdue loss was even more of a gut punch, and they are doing their usual post hoc rationalizations.  You will never see a bracket part for Purdue like it just did.   It was a total gift from the basketball Gods. Yet a very veteran team with a top five pick on it totally blew it.   

If anyone should be compared with Crean it’s Painter.  At IU, you pull that, and the torches are out and you’re finished. At Purdue they act like it was just another loss in yet another year.  

What post hoc rationalizations were we making? I think our fanbase was absolutely inconsolable. We’re not acting like it’s “just another loss” at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I genuinely believe Bates is going to take off - I see him as a player that can create for himself and for others. Expect his opportunities to come this year. Geronimo has a different make to him in that he can turn things on and be special - I’m expecting to see that. And I am really thinking JHS is going to be our best freshman in many, many years. I am really excited about this team. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Of course nobody knows what would’ve happened lol. But not having the chance to see what could’ve happened is the toughest pill to swallow. 

I always laugh at the “Purdue is always going to be Purdue which equals little brother to IU.” The little brother/big brother comments are silly IMO.  For being “little brother” I think we’re doing just fine tbh. 

You realize this is an IU fan board correct? Purdue is and always will be the little brother. The “IU sucks” chant when playing St Mattress of the Sleepy is laughable.  The constant saying that IU fans live in the past and then bringing up all of purdues victories before WW2 is laughable.  Purdue is the same as political promises to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t think it’s even debatable that Woodson outcoached Painter, who was sporting significantly more talent, in both games this year.  Woodson pushed the right buttons and Painter got tripped up.   That should be a concern for Purdue unless the lack of self awareness up there is sky high.  This wasn’t Archie who never out coached Painter in four years.

I’ve said it before but that first game was a byproduct of TJD getting in early foul trouble. Things didn’t get bogged down as much as they would and you had a guy in RP go off for the game of his life. Don’t think Woodson planned that it just happened to work out that way. I do like how Woodson got you guys to but in on the defensive side this year. Def gets props for that. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ve said it before but that first game was a byproduct of TJD getting in early foul trouble. Things didn’t get bogged down as much as they would and you had a guy in RP go off for the game of his life. Don’t think Woodson planned that it just happened to work out that way. 

I thought it was a lot more than that...in both games.  I don't think Painter ever adjusted to how IU was attacking on offense where they sagged off the middle off the PnR.  Suffice it to say, at the time, i noticed some other stuff but it's not like I took notes.  But, it was very striking that Painter couldn't adjust to our attack.

I will say this.  I have complimented Purdue plenty over the years and I also have criticized IU.  But that also gives me the credibility to criticize another program because I am not one-sided with my comments.  My comments on Purdue are exactly how I'd feel as a Purdue fan.  You are a knowledgeable poster and I enjoy your contributions, so understand none of this is intended as a shot.  It's truly what I think I'd be saying if I were a PU fan.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ve said it before but that first game was a byproduct of TJD getting in early foul trouble. Things didn’t get bogged down as much as they would and you had a guy in RP go off for the game of his life. Don’t think Woodson planned that it just happened to work out that way. I do like how Woodson got you guys to but in on the defensive side this year. Def gets props for that. 

"Things didn’t get bogged down as much as they would and you had a guy in RP go off for the game of his life. Don’t think Woodson planned that it just happened to work out that way."

Well ok, but in the post-game pressers, both RP and CMW mentioned a critical man to man discussion before the game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What post hoc rationalizations were we making? I think our fanbase was absolutely inconsolable. We’re not acting like it’s “just another loss” at all. 

Ah, come on...there were some faint calls for Painter's scalp, but they were very few and far between...

Painter would have never made it past 2015 at IU...

Purdue should keep him though...you never know. Maybe have the perfect storm and get to a final 4...

I don't think you're going to draw a top shelf coach to West Lafayette. And hiring the hot "up and comer" is a crap shoot, as we found out...

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought it was a lot more than that...in both games.  I don't think Painter ever adjusted to how IU was attacking on offense where they sagged off the middle off the PnR.  Suffice it to say, at the time, i noticed some other stuff but it's not like I took notes.  But, it was very striking that Painter couldn't adjust to our attack.

I will say this.  I have complimented Purdue plenty over the years and I also have criticized IU.  But that also gives me the credibility to criticize another program because I am not one-sided with my comments.  My comments on Purdue are exactly how I'd feel as a Purdue fan.  You are a knowledgeable poster and I enjoy your contributions, so understand none of this is intended as a shot.  It's truly what I think I'd be saying if I were a PU fan.

You make some good points. I think we had a lot of issues defensively this year that for whatever reason couldn’t be corrected. Without looking it up I think this was painters worst defensive team via Kenpom. Very anti-Purdue team in that regard. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ah, come on...there were some faint calls for Painter's scalp, but they were very few and far between...

Painter would have never made it past 2015 at IU...

Purdue should keep him though...you never know. Maybe have the perfect storm and get to a final 4...

I don't think you're going to draw a top shelf coach to West Lafayette. And hiring the hot "up and comer" is a crap shoot, as we found out...

I think Painter certainly got some leeway after the lean years between 2012-2015 that he probably wouldn’t have gotten if he wasn’t an alum. His divorce certainly played a role and impacted things but I agree he’s fortunate he got a longer leash there no doubt. 

I think you’re right on that. Purdue is at best what maybe the 6th best job in the conference? We could do a hell of a lot worse than Matt Painter. Grass ain’t always greener. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

But but but if Hummel didn’t get hurt….. that’s their excuse every time.  Nobody knows what would’ve happened if he didn’t get hurt and never will.  Purdue is always going to be Purdue which equals little brother to IU.

Says a lot more about you…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t think it’s even debatable that Woodson outcoached Painter, who was sporting significantly more talent, in both games this year.  Woodson pushed the right buttons and Painter got tripped up.   That should be a concern for Purdue unless the lack of self awareness up there is sky high.  This wasn’t Archie who never out coached Painter in four years.

Why didn’t CMW have Rob go off all year?  
why did MP tell the players to miss FT?

practice is coaching time 

games are for players 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Purdue7 said:

Why didn’t CMW have Rob go off all year?  
why did MP tell the players to miss FT?

practice is coaching time 

games are for players 

Coaches don’t do anything during games?? Adjustments are one of the most important parts of coaching and that happens in games.  Painters a decent coach but chokes in the tournament every year. He’s Keady 2.0 and that’s hilarious

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

THE single biggest cheater of ALL time!!

Still a great coach.  I just think coaches micro manage to much in games and should trust the players.  Teach them what they need to do in the game and let players make plays during the game.  To me the coaches today gets in the way of the team with trying to control everything that is going on the court.  I remember to much RP coming down the court and having to look over to Archie to get the play

• Like 1

I was flipping through YouTube and saw one guy talking about the top 10 transfers.  I doubt this guy knows anything and looks just like a kid putting things out on YouTube.  He was talking about KJ Williams from Murray St and listed teams who was going after him.  He mentioned IU but I have not seen our name mentioned with him.