Transfer Portal 2022

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Curbelo to St John's...

Honestly, that seems like a good spot for him.  He seems to be right out of central casting for them.  Not my favorite type of player.  Doesn’t make the winning type of plays.  Too much flash and not enough substance or the little things that help you win, especially at his position.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Honestly, that seems like a good spot for him.  He seems to be right out of central casting for them.  Not my favorite type of player.  Doesn’t make the winning type of plays.  Too much flash and not enough substance or the little things that help you win, especially at his position.  

I agree...

It's home for him...we saw how Al Durham prospered in the Big East by pretty much doubling his FT attempts (although shooting the 3 at a much poorer percentage than he did here)...dribble, drive, hit the floor worked for him...

Curbelo has a limited outside game, but his mid-range and drives to the hoop will work for him in that league...

But you're absolutely right...make the winning basketball play and don't worry about the SportsCenter highlight...Same thing I used to gnash teeth about with Devonte Green...

Mike Anderson values defense and taking care of the ball...that'll be the first hurdle Curbelo will have to overcome...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Former #1 rated recruit Emoni Bates in the portal...

I guess once he found out Penny wasn't worth a nickel in getting him to The League, he's looking for somebody who can...

Hmmm...

If the kid doesn't go home to Sparty....I wish him the best of luck. I don't want him in the Big 10 but buying the fools copper/gold of Penny was a mistake to begin with.

Just wish some of these kids would figure it out from the get go. Being handled by handlers. Time and time again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Former #1 rated recruit Emoni Bates in the portal...

I didn't know he's so young, still only 18 years old.  Sounds like handlers have been whispering "NBA" to him, saying college was a rest stop on the way to riches.

From Yahoo Sports:

"Bates was long considered to be one of the best NBA prospects in recent history, but after a disappointing season with Memphis, that has been in doubt, with some draft experts unsure if he’d even be a first round pick after questions have arisen around his athleticism and decision-making ability."

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If the kid doesn't go home to Sparty....I wish him the best of luck. I don't want him in the Big 10 but buying the fools copper/gold of Penny was a mistake to begin with.

Just wish some of these kids would figure it out from the get go. Being handled by handlers. Time and time again. 

If Sparty does get him and Christie comes back, I'd say they'd be the early favorite next year. Marble, Hall, Hoggard, and Walker along with those 2 could be a really good team. 

3 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I didn't know he's so young, still only 18 years old.  Sounds like handlers have been whispering "NBA" to him, saying college was a rest stop on the way to riches.

From Yahoo Sports:

"Bates was long considered to be one of the best NBA prospects in recent history, but after a disappointing season with Memphis, that has been in doubt, with some draft experts unsure if he’d even be a first round pick after questions have arisen around his athleticism and decision-making ability."

I've seen him play a couple of times. The talent is there. He needs someone to coach him though. Word was Memphis had a bit of a rift between the veterans and the (highly rated) youngsters last year. I know Penny pitched a mid-season hissy over it, but I don't think he's the coach to instill discipline and give kids guidance toward what it takes to advance their careers...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

From Yahoo Sports:

He's on the Thomas Bryant program. TB is only 24 and played 2 years at IU and now 5 in the NBA. Bates has it all right in front of him. Just has to stay healthy and if I could help the kid I would say this. Don't listen to anyone who has been giving you advice the last 4 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

UM is more home than MSU. Is there some Sparty connection there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

From Yahoo Sports:

I do believe Emoni reclassified?  

The more some of these guys get hyped, the more I tune out.  Jabari Parker was on that track.  He was on the cover of SI in high school.  His career has been a laughingstock, even before the injuries.  He couldn’t guard a chair even in his prime.   He was never worthy of the hype, especially as such a misfit in todays game.  His ceiling was a scorer on a bad to mediocre 1980s team with stats and tons of losses.   

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Clifton Moore winds up playing for Ed Cooley at Providence...

Good for him. Not only is Cooley a good coach, but seems like a really good guy

Cooley knows something about overcoming the odds, and he’ll tell you that good enough doesn’t cut it. As one of nine children of a single mother in the 1980s, at a time when crack cocaine was devastating his neighborhood and taking too many hostages, Cooley found his own path.

It started by having the right team around him. Gloria and Eddie Searight took him in, giving him a place to sleep and eat when he needed it. Former state senator Harold Metts, Cooley’s high school basketball coach, jokes that the Searights “didn’t adopt him. He adopted them.” When Gloria died in 2010, her obituary listed Ed as one of her sons. And the Searight family continues to be Cooley’s biggest boosters.

When too many friends in Providence were falling into the street life, friends say he always seemed to have a mop in one hand and a basketball in the other. He’d clean up the laundromat on Broad Street for a few bucks here and there, and he even convinced the superintendent of Providence schools to allow him to work as a janitor – giving him access to a court any time he wanted.

He went on to be one of the greatest basketball players Central High has ever seen, and he was apparently quite the club volleyball player, too. But even then, it was his leadership that stood out to Coach Metts.

“He knew everybody’s position and everybody’s role, and when you stuck him in a role outside his main one, he was able to adapt,” Metts said. “He was an inspiration to his teammates.”

Metts loved all the winning Central did when Cooley was on the team, but “my proudest moment as a coach was when he invited me to his college graduation,” he said.

Cooley was an underappreciated player himself, and the Friars didn’t recruit him as a high schooler. He had to sneak into the Civic Center to watch games, and he marveled at the special 1987 team that coach Rick Pitino brought to the Final Four.

Cooley would spend a year at New Hampton prep school in New Hampshire before enrolling at Stonehill College in Massachusetts. He became a teacher, but he had more to offer the game, so he got into coaching. It started with a stint at UMass-Dartmouth and a year back at Stonehill, but he learned his craft at the side of Al Skinner, first at URI and then at Boston College. He got his first head coaching job at Fairfield University before getting the Friars’ job.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Good for him. Not only is Cooley a good coach, but seems like a really good guy

Cooley knows something about overcoming the odds, and he’ll tell you that good enough doesn’t cut it. As one of nine children of a single mother in the 1980s, at a time when crack cocaine was devastating his neighborhood and taking too many hostages, Cooley found his own path.

It started by having the right team around him. Gloria and Eddie Searight took him in, giving him a place to sleep and eat when he needed it. Former state senator Harold Metts, Cooley’s high school basketball coach, jokes that the Searights “didn’t adopt him. He adopted them.” When Gloria died in 2010, her obituary listed Ed as one of her sons. And the Searight family continues to be Cooley’s biggest boosters.

When too many friends in Providence were falling into the street life, friends say he always seemed to have a mop in one hand and a basketball in the other. He’d clean up the laundromat on Broad Street for a few bucks here and there, and he even convinced the superintendent of Providence schools to allow him to work as a janitor – giving him access to a court any time he wanted.

He went on to be one of the greatest basketball players Central High has ever seen, and he was apparently quite the club volleyball player, too. But even then, it was his leadership that stood out to Coach Metts.

“He knew everybody’s position and everybody’s role, and when you stuck him in a role outside his main one, he was able to adapt,” Metts said. “He was an inspiration to his teammates.”

Metts loved all the winning Central did when Cooley was on the team, but “my proudest moment as a coach was when he invited me to his college graduation,” he said.

Cooley was an underappreciated player himself, and the Friars didn’t recruit him as a high schooler. He had to sneak into the Civic Center to watch games, and he marveled at the special 1987 team that coach Rick Pitino brought to the Final Four.

Cooley would spend a year at New Hampton prep school in New Hampshire before enrolling at Stonehill College in Massachusetts. He became a teacher, but he had more to offer the game, so he got into coaching. It started with a stint at UMass-Dartmouth and a year back at Stonehill, but he learned his craft at the side of Al Skinner, first at URI and then at Boston College. He got his first head coaching job at Fairfield University before getting the Friars’ job.

Definitely an easy guy to root for.