Transfer Portal 2022

38 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Soooooo Dexter is on campus today. I'd really like to pick him up. Seal the deal Woody.

I would like him to commit before he visits Clemson. 

totally uninformed opinion here.  admitting up front that i am probably wrong and clearly in the minority, but this one scares me.  adding a non offensive guard from a weaker conference makes me think of other failed transfers.   get that he would bring defense and experience, but i'm nervous about a non offensive player in our starting lineup.  if it's between him and Reneau, i would be so much more excited about Reneau.  the nice thing about being skeptical/pessimistic is that if i am wrong here, i will be happy to be wrong!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

totally uninformed opinion here.  admitting up front that i am probably wrong and clearly in the minority, but this one scares me.  adding a non offensive guard from a weaker conference makes me think of other failed transfers.   get that he would bring defense and experience, but i'm nervous about a non offensive player in our starting lineup.  if it's between him and Reneau, i would be so much more excited about Reneau.  the nice thing about being skeptical/pessimistic is that if i am wrong here, i will be happy to be wrong!

I truly don't believe we are looking at an 'either/or' situation. I said this earlier, but I believe more and more everyday that TJD is not coming back. This writing is on the wall: we are actively recruiting 2 players for 2 different positions. Two campus visits in two days. Only one open scholarship if TJD stays.

#math

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I truly don't believe we are looking at an 'either/or' situation. I said this earlier, but I believe more and more everyday that TJD is not coming back. This writing is on the wall: we are actively recruiting 2 players for 2 different positions. Two campus visits in two days. Only one open scholarship if TJD stays.

#math

But we also have competition for both. You don't recruit one and not the other when you could really use both.

They are probably the two best players that fit us. We need a talent upgrade everywhere. Recruit the best players, regardless of position when you have an open scholarship.

Just now, ephul said:

But we also have competition for both. You don't recruit one and not the other when you could really use both.

They are probably the two best players that fit us. We need a talent upgrade everywhere. Recruit the best players, regardless of position when you have an open scholarship.

But we don't need an upgrade in that position if TJD stays. It's arguably our deepest position next year. Does a 5 star recruit realistically show this much interest in IU if TJD is believed to be coming back? The freshman year minutes wouldn't be there for a recruit of his caliber. 

Now, if a lower rated guy, willing to develop on the bench for his first season was coming in then I'd say you have a point. If we were actively recruiting 2 wings, then I'd also say you have a point. But it's Reneau. 

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

But we don't need an upgrade in that position if TJD stays. It's arguably our deepest position next year. Does a 5 star recruit realistically show this much interest in IU if TJD is believed to be coming back? The freshman year minutes wouldn't be there for a recruit of his caliber. 

Now, if a lower rated guy, willing to develop on the bench for his first season was coming in then I'd say you have a point. If we were actively recruiting 2 wings, then I'd also say you have a point. But it's Reneau. 

That's a matter of opinion. I absolutely think we could use an upgrade at the 4/5. Having three guys (assuming Reneau would be able to step in as a freshman) would be HUGE. Durr proved to be pretty limited this past season. Having three guys, and even four if you count Geronimo playing the four, would allow Trayce and Race to play much more aggressive on the defensive end. And give Trayce a bit of a breather throughout games.

It also would allow us to keep a nice offensive flow throughout the game. How many times did Trayce and Race come out of the game, and we were left beating our heads against a wall?

You are assuming that Reneau is an all world player. How do you know Reneau is expecting to come in and start? How do you know he's ready for that? Reneau could look at being able to be eased into college and practicing with some veteran big guys as a positive.

Is the 4/5 as critical position as a guard that can shoot? No. But if we can't find a significant upgrade at that position, you take the significant upgrade at the 4/5. There's no reason to gamble or take a lesser transfer at the guard position just for the optics or "hoping" it's an upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ephul said:

That's a matter of opinion. I absolutely think we could use an upgrade at the 4/5. Having three guys (assuming Reneau would be able to step in as a freshman) would be HUGE. Durr proved to be pretty limited this past season. Having three guys, and even four if you count Geronimo playing the four, would allow Trayce and Race to play much more aggressive on the defensive end. And give Trayce a bit of a breather throughout games.

It also would allow us to keep a nice offensive flow throughout the game. How many times did Trayce and Race come out of the game, and we were left beating our heads against a wall?

You are assuming that Reneau is an all world player. How do you know Reneau is expecting to come in and start? How do you know he's ready for that? Reneau could look at being able to be eased into college and practicing with some veteran big guys as a positive.

Is the 4/5 as critical position as a guard that can shoot? No. But if we can't find a significant upgrade at that position, you take the significant upgrade at the 4/5. There's no reason to gamble or take a lesser transfer at the guard position just for the optics or "hoping" it's an upgrade.

I hope you're right. But let's not kid ourselves, top 30 guys typically don't walk into a scenario where they are the 4th guy in a 4 guy rotation for 2 spots. It's possible, but that just doesn't happen these days unless you are Duke or Kentucky. I really hope I'm wrong, but the chances of Race, TJD, JG and Reneau all on the roster next year are extremely low, IMO. 

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I hope you're right. But let's not kid ourselves, top 30 guys typically don't walk into a scenario where they are the 4th guy in a 4 guy rotation for 2 spots. It's possible, but that just doesn't happen these days unless you are Duke or Kentucky. I really hope I'm wrong, but the chances of Race, TJD, JG and Reneau all on the roster next year are extremely low, IMO. 

Agreed. He's got a lot of places he can go where he'll know he's going to step in and play right away.

But even being that 3rd guy, he'd get his fair share of minutes assuming he's ready for them. How many minutes did Trayce play out of necessity? Durr just wasn't good unless we played Purdue, or another rare team with a plodding big man. And injuries happen too.

But you're right, Trayce may have very well told the staff that the chances of him returning are slim. But even with Trayce and Race back, Reneau is more of a fit at the 4 and 5 than Geronimo, so if he's decent, he's going to log meaningful minutes.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'll join you in that minority.  Not sold on this one, but I'll be happy to be wrong if he selects IU and flourishes.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think it's a bit of an assumption that JG would be ahead of Reneau, no? We've seen a few flashes from JG, but he averaged 4 PPG as a sophomore with plenty of chance to earn a lot of minutes. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it's a bit of an assumption that JG would be ahead of Reneau, no? We've seen a few flashes from JG, but he averaged 4 PPG as a sophomore with plenty of chance to earn a lot of minutes. 

Point being...there's a log jam there. You are talking hypotheticals. I'm talking math. The recruitment of Malik and DD was never an 'either/or' situation. 

Malik just announced his commitment. It's very likely the staff knew this yesterday. Yet, they are still recruiting DD who is on campus right now even though all scholarships are taken. Thus, someone on the current roster may not be coming back. Most logical departure still seems to be TJD. Then perhaps JG. Then perhaps Logan? 

Edited by tdhoosier

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Point being...there's a log jam there. You are talking hypotheticals. I'm talking math. The recruitment of Malik and DD was never an 'either/or' situation. 

Malik just announced his commitment. It's very likely the staff knew this yesterday. Yet, they are still recruiting DD who is on campus right now even though all scholarships are taken. Thus, someone on the current roster may not be coming back. Most logical departure still seems to be TJD. Then perhaps JG. Then perhaps Logan? 

I agree with you that it wasn't an either/or. I think Malik committing means JG or Logan is probably on the outs, yes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

1. I want Dennis.

2.  I want TJD back.

3.  I want JG and Duncomb to stay.

4.  I want too much.  

I thought this through a little...

I DO want Trayce back...And if he wants to, I've pretty much talked myself into the fact that regardless of what we like or don't, it is a business anymore...Sometimes unpopular decisions have to be made to make the business prosper, and I'm good with that...

And I think we have the right guy making those decisions...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

With Malik coming onboard, does IU take someone like Dexter and call it a day or are there any other targets?

I would think you'd take Dexter and call it a day. It'd be a seriously upgraded roster from the outside looking in. Experienced and big.

Only question mark would be shooting.