Transfer Portal 2022

53 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

NIL won out it appears. Sounds like Miami to the tune of about half a mil. 

No offense to Pack, but if he's worth half a mil, there are a lot of future NBA players who will exhaust their college eligibility going forward.

I'll be shocked if he gets anywhere near that number.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

No offense to Pack, but if he's worth half a mil, there are a lot of future NBA players who will exhaust their college eligibility going forward.

I'll be shocked if he gets anywhere near that number.

I don’t disagree with you but it wouldn’t surprise me. Rumors of OSU offering $250k so $450k from Miami isn’t crazy imo. 

I heard we offered him a year supply of Arni’s pizza but I guess it wasn’t enough. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Man Purdue is going to SUCK.

We’ll be fine. Maybe we get Hunter back or land another transfer guard. I think we’ll be a bubble team at worst IMO. Still have a solid front court. I guess it depends on your definition of suck. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We’ll be fine. Maybe we get Hunter back or land another transfer guard. I think we’ll be a bubble team at worst IMO. Still have a solid front court. I guess it depends on your definition of suck. 

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me that Hunter stays if Pack is going elsewhere.  I suspect he went into the portal as a result of all the Pack whisperings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He’s been an incredible president for us lol. 

I don’t want to get into politics but I’ve always been a fan. Exceptionally bright man, not just in terms of ivory tower BS but in real world applications.  

As I’ve gotten older I’ve come across a bleep ton of Ivy leaguers who are total frauds.  Book smart but cannot strategize their way through a paper bag or only can handle easier subjects.  The amount of science ignorance in this country is appalling and they let people into the Ivy leagues while being illiterate in difficult subjects like science.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t disagree with you but it wouldn’t surprise me. Rumors of OSU offering $250k so $450k from Miami isn’t crazy imo. 

I heard we offered him a year supply of Arni’s pizza but I guess it wasn’t enough. 

Those numbers are all insane for Nigel Pack.  I think this will ultimately be the death of the NCAA and any notion of the term "student-athlete" but if those numbers are accurate, it's going to happen a lot faster than I expected.

I would have seen Nigel Pack as  a $50,000 guy.  If he's getting anywhere near what you're saying, the NIL will also kill the G League.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Those numbers are all insane for Nigel Pack.  I think this will ultimately be the death of the NCAA and any notion of the term "student-athlete" but if those numbers are accurate, it's going to happen a lot faster than I expected.

I would have seen Nigel Pack as  a $50,000 guy.  If he's getting anywhere near what you're saying, the NIL will also kill the G League.

How could it kill the NCAA and the G League? 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t want to get into politics but I’ve always been a fan. Exceptionally bright man, not just in terms of ivory tower BS but in real world applications.  

As I’ve gotten older I’ve come across a bleep ton of Ivy leaguers who are total frauds.  Book smart but cannot strategize their way through a paper bag or only can handle easier subjects.  The amount of science ignorance in this country is appalling and they let people into the Ivy leagues while being illiterate in difficult subjects like science.  

Mitch can be pretty abrasive, but he understands business and economics better than just about anyone and he's been good for Purdue.  IU's new president seems a step in the right direction, although admittedly I don't know a lot about her.  What I DO feel comfortable saying is that McRobbie was a disaster and he wasn't the first.  IU has been going down a bad road for awhile and I'm hopeful this new president moves IU in a better direction.  With what I saw out of McRobbie, I would not have sent my kid there.  Their dental school is only slightly better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

How could it kill the NCAA and the G League? 

The G-League is not paying anywhere near the numbers that were thrown out for Nigel Pack, for God sakes.  No kid will leave college for the G-league and a pay-cut playing in empty arenas.

...and the NIL money is going to quickly make the NCAA impotent.  We've already discussed how the NIL could be used to circumvent scholarship limits.  That's just the start of how the money will overrule the NCAA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

The G-League is not paying anywhere near the numbers that were thrown out for Nigel Pack, for God sakes.  No kid will leave college for the G-league and a pay-cut playing in empty arenas.

...and the NIL money is going to quickly make the NCAA impotent.  We've already discussed how the NIL could be used to circumvent scholarship limits.  That's just the start of how the money will overrule the NCAA.

I think it could knock the G Leagues talent down for sure.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

See, I don't get the way Purdue or their fans are thinking about this...

There's nothing wrong, illegal, or unsavory about NIL money. If your school doesn't jump in quickly, they'll be buried...

NIL has pretty much superseded every aspect beside coach and coaching staff in college recruiting...sitting on the sidelines and lamenting how other schools are "cheating" is mind boggling to me...

There's even a solid argument that it's the more ethical route on top of all that.

• Like 1

Why wouldn’t Furst or Bates enter the portal next year?  

I said it 2 weeks ago IU will crush Purdue with NIL but will other schools crush IU?  If IU is top 10 in NIL spending there are enough great players to load up on.  If Purdue is 50th it will be a struggle 

players would leave IU because they were pushed out for portal replacements 

players would leave Purdue for NIL money 

honest question:  why would a fringe top 100 recruit go to IU or UK to be replaced or sit behind a constant stream of portal players?  

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I could totally get on board with living in a college basketball world where IU is an NIL supergiant duking it out with other NIL supergiants while programs like Purdue and Wisconsin get left behind. 

So basically the Soccer Super League or SEC Football….

can you imagine tournament games 

Joe Hoops. 6’2”. Junior 

majoring in NIL marketing 

Making 2.4 million this year 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

$500,000 in hand or guaranteed PG minutes at Purdue 

only an idiot turns down the 💰 

Sure - my point a couple weeks ago was there was a lot that other schools offered Purdue didn't and I was assured I was mistaken. I agree, Pack would have been an idiot to go to Purdue.