Transfer Portal 2022

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I'm actually surprised how many people we have here who have watched so many Wichita State games.  Lot of insight here from guys who have watched him intently and in detail.   I guess he is another Rob Phinisee from all the comments.  That will be interesting to see play out.  Somebody get the memo to Woody that the scouts on HSN have detailed information that he may not have.

Literally lol

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Only the big boys are going to survive with the NIL. We probably won’t be able to keep up with a Kentucky, Duke, or maybe even Kansas, but parity in College basketball will be gone.

It won't be just money.  A school that offers money, fame and a hot lifestyle will have huge advantages.

Miami and UCLA come to mind.   

What's to stop a school from having the top 5 recruits on campus at the same time and offering them $1 million each to be the next famous Fab Five?  Or $2 million each?  Surrounded by sun, girls, and movie stars.  I'm amazed this hasn't been done already.

I predict it will.

Schools like Minnesota may as well shut down their programs.  It snows 14 months a year up there.

Edited by Madison22

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Somebody get the memo to Woody that the scouts on HSN have detailed information that he may not have

This is a discussion board where people discuss topics, there is going to be differing opinions. Also fyi coaches make mistakes on players all the time.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

Wow could you be anymore of a douche bag with this post. This is a discussion board where people discuss topics, there is going to be differing opinions. Also fyi coaches make mistakes on players all the time.

At an ungodly higher rate, fans do. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is a discussion board where people discuss topics, there is going to be differing opinions. Also fyi coaches make mistakes on players all the time.

I agree with the discussion part, but blindly talking about somebody like an expert without truly being familiar with him is overconfidence.  Numbers are nice but they only tell you so much.  The staff has put resources into figuring out team needs, scouting a guy, looking at the numbers, literally talking to him and meeting him, and making a judgement.  Fans look at a one minute youtube clip, look at his numbers, and don't have much more to go on.  It's hubris to pretend that anyone has enough info.  It's different if a fan has seen the player play a ton.  The discourse here suggests that people have seen the guy play a lot to be so informed, with such level of confidence.  I hope that makes sense.  I am not saying discussion is not fun.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with the discussion part, but blindly talking about somebody like an expert without truly being familiar with him is overconfidence.  Numbers are nice but they only tell you so much.  The staff has put resources into figuring out team needs, scouting a guy, looking at the numbers, literally talking to him and meeting him, and making a judgement.  Fans look at a one minute youtube clip, look at his numbers, and don't have much more to go on.  It's hubris to pretend that anyone has enough info.  It's different if a fan has seen the player play a ton.  The discourse here suggests that people have seen the guy play a lot to be so informed, with such level of confidence.  I hope that makes sense.  I am not saying discussion is not fun.  

Numbers aren't everything, but they are important.  They're sure used to say how great players are, so it stands to reason they can also be used to question a player's effectiveness.  The other key question here is how those numbers hold up with a step up in competition.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Numbers aren't everything, but they are important.  They're sure used to say how great players are, so it stands to reason they can also be used to question a player's effectiveness.  The other key question here is how those numbers hold up with a step up in competition.  

Do you think he will get better coaching at Indiana then he had at WSU? 

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

agree with the discussion part, but blindly talking about somebody like an expert without truly being familiar with him is overconfidence.  Numbers are nice but they only tell you so much.  The staff has put resources into figuring out team needs, scouting a guy, looking at the numbers, literally talking to him and meeting him, and making a judgement.  Fans look at a one minute youtube clip, look at his numbers, and don't have much more to go on.  It's hubris to pretend that anyone has enough info.  It's different if a fan has seen the player play a ton.  The discourse here suggests that people have seen the guy play a lot to be so informed, with such level of confidence.  I hope that makes sense.  I am not saying discussion is not fun.  

This post could be used towards the people that are blindly supporting bringing him in. There is no difference on either side.  Also numbers sometimes do tell the story, he isn't a good 3 point shooter and that is the main reason I and many others don't think that he is what the Hoosiers need the most.

If he joins the Hoosiers I will fully support him, but I just don't think he improves the team that much.

Also one other thing to consider with him, if the reports of Trayce staying are true who are we kicking off the team. The only two that might be worth replacing him with is Leal which would be a shame because he is fully a Hoosier. And Logan who we have no clue what he will be so I would hate to give up on him for Dennis.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Do you think he will get better coaching at Indiana then he had at WSU? 

I think he fills a need with his perimeter defense (though the numbers are a little soft for conference DPOY).  I also think IU fans will turn on him quickly if he were to shoot 29% from 3 here.  

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

This post could be used towards the people that are blindly supporting bringing him in. There is no difference in either side.  Also numbers sometimes do tell the story, he isn't a good 3 point shooter and that is the main reason I and many others don't think that he is what the Hoosiers need the most.

If he joins the Hoosiers I will fully support him, but I just don't think he improves the team that much.

Also one other thing to consider with him, if the reports of Trayce staying are true who are we kicking off the team. The only two that might be worth replacing him with is Leal which would be a shame because he is fully a Hoosier. And Logan we have no clue what he will be so I would hate to give up on him for Dennis.

So if he is not a good shooter how did he hit 40 percent as a freshman.  To me if he comes here then he will be playing with better players which would allow him to get better looks.  It sounds like the last couple of years he had to take to many contested 3's which will lower your percentage

Just now, 5fouls said:

I think he fills a need with his perimeter defense (though the numbers are a little soft for conference DPOY).  I also think IU fans will turn on him quickly if he were to shoot 29% from 3 here.  

Numbers aren't going to tell you how well he defends. 

And he is going to get immensely better coaching at Indiana. We might be going from wings being our weakness to wings being a huge strong suit. With JHS, Dennis, and development by TB and TG. When is the last time we had 4 wings that good? 2016? 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So if he is not a good shooter how did he hit 40 percent as a freshman.  

In 1980 (your favorite decade) Joe Charboneau hit .289, hit 23 homers, and won the AL Rookie of the year.  Over the next two years, he hit .210 and .214 with a combined total of 6 home runs.  Sometimes one year doesn't indicate an athlete's true self.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Numbers are important but the staff has them too.  We don't have something they are missing.

My view on Dennis: I haven't paid attention to him as a player so I am not in a position to claim he is all world.  I have heard some people say our defense was good and further along than our offense.  I agree with both of those points, but I do not agree that our defense was good enough.  We can go back to our post-game threads, and I was posting with others, including @IUFLA I believe, about our defense down the stretch of games on the wing.

Look at the late stretches of some games.  You can look at both Wisconsin games and Johnny Davis attacked almost every time, and we literally had no shot at stopping him.  At OSU, Branham got the ball practically every time during the last five minutes.  Same thing.  Couldn't stop him.  Harper for Rutgers comes down with Race trying to guard him.  He hit an improbable shot but we also didn't have a mobile enough guy on him.  We couldn't cover Murray from Iowa.  

In the post season press conference, they asked Woody what needs the team had.  He had two answers.  A defensive stopper on the wing and more shooting.  I am not here to crow, but I had the same thought that Woody had about late game problems.  So, whether we had a good defense or not, we aren't a good enough team defensively to win enough games.

I am not a Dennis expert.  I am relying on the staff.  Our staff looked at Dennis and figured he filled this particular need.  We don't need him to stop the Johnny Davis' of the world every time down.  But we need at least some level of resistance.  You get some stops instead of hardly any stops, and you are winning a significant number of extra games.  If we want a special year, this is a need we have.  Regarding shooting, we all agree we need it, yet we have people wishing Kopp away.  I can't think of a post-season where I am more un-aligned with so many other fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In 1980 (your favorite decade) Joe Charboneau hit .289, hit 23 homers, and won the AL Rookie of the year.  Over the next two years, he hit .210 and .214 with a combined total of 6 home runs.  Sometimes one year doesn't indicate an athlete's true self.  

Very true. 

I was pretty intrigued when I watched him have the ability to shut down Phinisee (saying being able to guard a PG) and disrupted Juwan down low in the same game, as a FR. 

I don't buy a ton of stock into his shooting #s because before this season, they were more then fine, and I believe we have an elite staff that are more than capable of getting him to shoot at a solid clip-- example-- XJ and RT the last 15-16 games of the year. 

Edited by btownqb