Transfer Portal 2022

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There are absolutely stats that provide insight into defense.  Steals, Defensive Rating, Defensive Box Plus/Minus, Defensive Win Shares, etc. 

Right. That means some.  

The ability to guard 1-4 doesn't show up. There are soooo many things defensively those #s aren't going to tell you. That goes for everyone. 

Everytime we had to switch this year and PS or TB or RP got switched onto a big.. it was 2pts. Every single time. Phin was a good defender, when he was guarding someone his size.. he had very little versatility. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In 1980 (your favorite decade) Joe Charboneau hit .289, hit 23 homers, and won the AL Rookie of the year.  Over the next two years, he hit .210 and .214 with a combined total of 6 home runs.  Sometimes one year doesn't indicate an athlete's true self.  

Very well could be the case but also it could be that he went from a role player to being the main guy.  Not saying it would happen but put him to where he is isn't the key player on the opponent scouting report might help him.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Honestly though-- McNeil might be the staff's first choice anyway 🤷‍♂️

I am assuming one or the other.  If we tried to get both, I can think of some scenarios where we make it work and it doesn't mean running off guys.  My hint for guys my age is to think back to Bob Knight's bag of tricks.  I don't want to say it out loud because I don't want to speculate about it.  If it so happens, I can comment on it then.  

Bottom line, I am not worried about the roster.  The reason is that is the staff's job and they aren't going to keep recruiting without a plan in place.  If a guy I like transfers, I won't be thrilled but I am in wait and see mode.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So if he is not a good shooter how did he hit 40 percent as a freshman.  To me if he comes here then he will be playing with better players which would allow him to get better looks.  It sounds like the last couple of years he had to take to many contested 3's which will lower your percentage

The 3 point line was moved back after his freshman year to the international distance 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We just aren't in a spot to turn down talent. 

Dennis wouldn't make us perfect, but he'd make us better. 

Honestly, I disagree.  I doubt he'll move the needle much, but that's just a guess.  If he comes to IU, I hope I'm wrong.  Stats don't say it all, but they say a lot.  He appears to be a fine player but I don't see anything earth-shattering here.  He wouldn't even be the second best guard, IMO.  If he comes, he comes, but I see no reason over-signing or even filling the last scholarship with this level of player.  He's stepping up in competition.  If he maintains the numbers he has, I'll consider that progress.

If he comes to IU, I'll be 100% behind him and gladly admit it if he greatly exceeds my modest expectations.  Meanwhile, I'll trust the staff, while maintaining they're not infallible.  If they get no one and Trayce leaves, I think IU will be alright with the 12 they have left, so I see the program in position to turn down decent but not great players.

• Like 3

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Honestly, I disagree.  I doubt he'll move the needle much, but that's just a guess.  If he comes to IU, I hope I'm wrong.  Stats don't say it all, but they say a lot.  He appears to be a fine player but I don't see anything earth-shattering here.  He wouldn't even be the second best guard, IMO.  If he comes, he comes, but I see no reason over-signing or even filling the last scholarship with this level of player.  He's stepping up in competition.  If he maintains the numbers he has, I'll consider that progress.

If he comes to IU, I'll be 100% behind him and gladly admit it if he greatly exceeds my modest expectations.  Meanwhile, I'll trust the staff, while maintaining they're not infallible.  If they get no one and Trayce leaves, I think IU will be alright with the 12 they have left, so I see the program in position to turn down decent but not great players.

He isn't better then a FR TB, or SO TG, or Parker Stewart?.. that's who's mins he would gobble up. 

I think he's better to a lot better then all of those players. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The 3 point line was moved back after his freshman year to the international distance 

Yeah and when they did that his shooting fell off a good chunk, 33.6 twice and 29.7.. Nothing about his shooting has improved and in fact has gotten worse, so I think people expecting an improvement there will be disappointed.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This where I am at, good post.👍

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He isn't better then a FR TB, or SO TG, or Parker Stewart?.. that's who's mins he would gobble up. 

I think he's better to a lot better then all of those players. 

Next year's IU team has none of those.  One is gone and two will have an extra year experience.  Tamar needs to step up.  If he doesn't show a dramatic improvement as a soph, he may struggle to crack the rotation and leave.  The level of competition for minutes is going up and it's kind of a make or break year for TB.  Hopefully, he gets his head out of his @ss and gets serious about showing his potential. 

...and knowing what I know today, I doubt DD would be appreciably more valuable than TG as a junior, especially if Trey stays healthy.  True, this is all guesswork on my part and it's pure speculation for me to guess how they'd do absent a crystal ball, but when in doubt, I'll always lean toward the one already at IU until proven different.  Entertaining to guess and debate, but only time will really tell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Next year's IU team has none of those.  One is gone and two will have an extra year experience.  Tamar needs to step up.  If he doesn't show a dramatic improvement as a soph, he may struggle to crack the rotation and leave.  The level of competition for minutes is going up and it's kind of a make or break year for TB.  Hopefully, he gets his head out of his @ss and gets serious about showing his potential. 

...and knowing what I know today, I doubt DD would be appreciably more valuable than TG as a junior, especially if Trey stays healthy.  True, this is all guesswork on my part and it's pure speculation for me to guess how they'd do absent a crystal ball, but when in doubt, I'll always lean toward the one already at IU until proven different.  Entertaining to guess and debate, but only time will really tell.

But the debate is if we are going to improve as a whole from last year to this year. 

A contingent of SR DD, SO TB, JR TG, and JHS/MK working in there... is ungodly better then what we had last year. 

Growth from JG, RT, and TJD... we could be very good. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What tampering? 

If Weber, who has ties to Purdue, told him to go there that surely is tampering/a violation. It's no different than Adam's having kids he had legal guardianship over go to IU, and those players got suspensions as a result. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Numbers aren't everything, but they are important.  They're sure used to say how great players are, so it stands to reason they can also be used to question a player's effectiveness.  The other key question here is how those numbers hold up with a step up in competition.  

I'm going to challenge you on this, because you're one of the biggest proponents of Jordan Geronimo on this board and his numbers are crap. There were comments that recently from the board that it isn't fair to compare him to other athletic freaks such as HMP, but that is exactly who his numbers say he is.

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm going to challenge you on this, because you're one of the biggest proponents of Jordan Geronimo on this board and his numbers are crap. There were comments that recently from the board that it isn't fair to compare him to other athletic freaks such as HMP, but that is exactly who his numbers say he is.

Jeronimo's numbers are crap?????  I'm in car right now, and will post some numbers when I get home.  The numbers say Geronimo was IU's 4th most effective player last season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We’ll be fine. Maybe we get Hunter back or land another transfer guard. I think we’ll be a bubble team at worst IMO. Still have a solid front court. I guess it depends on your definition of suck. 

You will make the tourney. Painter does his best coaching with young under talented teams. They will start playing defense again and get back to their movement. No offense but he seems to coach better as the underdog and not the favorite.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Jeronimo's numbers are crap?????  I'm in car right now, and will post some numbers when I get home.  The numbers say Geronimo was IU's 4th most effective player last season.

Yes, a guy shooting in the low 30s from 3 (and in the 20s during conference) and in the 50s from the line is crap. I’m glad he made a few mid range jumpers and can make dunks, but he isn’t creating for himself at all so I’d expect the overall efficiency to be higher.

He is so much closer to HMP or Freddie McSwain than he is Vic or OG. I love his potential but right now he hasn’t done anything with it heading into his third season and he’s looking at being buried on the bench in his third season if TJD really is coming back. 

EDIT: If you’re going to give me PER, he’s in the exact same range as McSwain or HMP with comparable rebound and block numbers. Those three guys really all offered the same thing, where as none of them could touch Vic or even OG with all the other things those two did as Uber athletic guys we have had. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Only the big boys are going to survive with the NIL. We probably won’t be able to keep up with a Kentucky, Duke, or maybe even Kansas, but parity in College basketball will be gone.

Maybe football since it already is the haves and have nots and so many scholarships you can stock pile talent but basketball I say no way. Too many talented young basketball players and only 5 can start…If there are say 4 blue bloods UK, Duke, KU, and UNC than trust me there are more than 20 great kids out there. We can get our share if we run things right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

We just aren't in a spot to turn down talent. 

Dennis wouldn't make us perfect, but he'd make us better. 

Depends on whose spot he takes. As it stands we don’t have a spot. I don’t want to speculate on who will or should leave because that isn’t how I want to treat our guys but honestly it would depend on who he replaces. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Very true. 

I was pretty intrigued when I watched him have the ability to shut down Phinisee (saying being able to guard a PG) and disrupted Juwan down low in the same game, as a FR. 

I don't buy a ton of stock into his shooting #s because before this season, they were more then fine, and I believe we have an elite staff that are more than capable of getting him to shoot at a solid clip-- example-- XJ and RT the last 15-16 games of the year. 

Well we all thought Miller Kopp was going to bounce back with “better” coaching and he would get his stroke back to form and that didn’t happen. Sometimes water just finds its level. Sometimes once teams get game tape on a kid and fully scout him they adjust to his game and if he doesn’t develop other areas he is not as successful as they were before. I’m absolutely fine bringing in the kid for instance if it was to replace the Miller Kopp role on the team because I absolutely think Kopp is what he has been the past 2 years and isn’t going to suddenly improve.  I’m not sure if the kid is just automatically going to get better because he joined this staff and team. I’d say he is mostly a finished product and will give us basically what he gave WSU last year…which like I said might be fine but I’m not sure it’s a major needle mover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, a guy shooting in the low 30s from 3 (and in the 20s during conference) and in the 50s from the line is crap. I’m glad he made a few mid range jumpers and can make dunks, but he isn’t creating for himself at all so I’d expect the overall efficiency to be higher.

He is so much closer to HMP or Freddie McSwain than he is Vic or OG. I love his potential but right now he hasn’t done anything with it heading into his third season and he’s looking at being buried on the bench in his third season if TJD really is coming back. 

EDIT: If you’re going to give me PER, he’s in the exact same range as McSwain or HMP with comparable rebound and block numbers. Those three guys really all offered the same thing, where as none of them could touch Vic or even OG with all the other things those two did as Uber athletic guys we have had. 

That could be statistically, but I don't remember McSwain and Perea shooting from any distance?

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well we all thought Miller Kopp was going to bounce back with “better” coaching and he would get his stroke back to form and that didn’t happen. Sometimes water just finds its level. Sometimes once teams get game tape on a kid and fully scout him they adjust to his game and if he doesn’t develop other areas he is not as successful as they were before. I’m absolutely fine bringing in the kid for instance if it was to replace the Miller Kopp role on the team because I absolutely think Kopp is what he has been the past 2 years and isn’t going to suddenly improve.  I’m not sure if the kid is just automatically going to get better because he joined this staff and team. I’d say he is mostly a finished product and will give us basically what he gave WSU last year…which like I said might be fine but I’m not sure it’s a major needle mover.

Kopp shot like 6% better under our staff compared to the year prior. You aren't anywhere close to a finished product as a 22 or 23 year old basketball player. 

This move along with everything else we have and will develop... yeah big year coming. 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'm actually surprised how many people we have here who have watched so many Wichita State games.  Lot of insight here from guys who have watched him intently and in detail.   I guess he is another Rob Phinisee from all the comments.  That will be interesting to see play out.  Somebody get the memo to Woody that the scouts on HSN have detailed information that he may not have.

That pendulum swings way wide in both directions.  Much weaker conference, bad team.  

My main sell for me is that if he's a better defender than anyone on Houston, he's one hell of a defender.  I don't need anyone blowing smoke up my butt that he's going to go back to his frosh year and shoot 40 for us based on a 2 min highlight clip in which he shot 100%

Correct, no one but Scott has watched much of Wichita st since our tourney game.  

• Like 3