Transfer Portal 2022

Just now, btownqb said:

Yeah, I do.. and I think he will generally play the first 6-7 mins of each half.... and then we have different combos the rest of the game. When we were truly 100%-- there were games he was being fased out, last year. 

Obviously there will be times he plays outside of that rotation.. but 18-20mpg is what I see Miller playing. I think the role is the same.. stand there and shoot, play adequate defense. 

There are plenty of scenarios that could easily work without him starting, though. 

Agreed. I think he would pair well with Trey coming off the bench..but I’m sure the best 5 combo will start..I trust woody. I really think JHS is much more developed and ready to contribute right away and will start next to XJ…and I’d be shocked if Bates doesn’t take that year two leap to start as well…I just see guys passing him up on the depth chart. I think MK can have a big role though that is for sure…and better guards will take attention and pressure away from him freeing him up I hope to shoot better.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Agreed. I think he would pair well with Trey coming off the bench..but I’m sure the best 5 combo will start..I trust woody. I really think JHS is much more developed and ready to contribute right away and will start next to XJ…and I’d be shocked if Bates doesn’t take that year two leap to start as well…I just see guys passing him up on the depth chart. I think MK can have a big role though that is for sure…and better guards will take attention and pressure away from him freeing him up I hope to shoot better.

There might be games he plays 10 mins. Won't shock me at all. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The false equivalency is no one has said he's going to be great. 

You've got an asymmetric situation where you have people writing him off based on hardly any knowledge. 

Weaker conference, weaker talent around him. 

Weaker conference, weaker talent. Wouldn't that cause you to shine?  I dont get it?  

Ive already said that I'm cool over the defense.  Give me literally anyone in Houston's top 7 and I'm probably happy but this dude went and took conference defender of the year over all of them.  That says a lot in itself.  For me personally, the cause of initial blow back is we want him to stroke it and go get 15 from the wing on any given night.  

To get his max stopper abilities, he's not playing over 25ish mins a game anyways.  

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, I dont really drink anymore. But yeah, missed it. 

It certainly seems like we are getting TJD and DD. I'm all for it. 

Wait…TJD is coming back…and you are hearing we are getting DD??? Who is leaving?? Trayce was the only one I thought was possible to leave. Which made sense why Reneau kid committed…so I’m lost…but it’s been a long week…so who knows.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Wait…TJD is coming back…and you are hearing we are getting DD??? Who is leaving?? Trayce was the only one I thought was possible to leave. Which made sense why Reneau kid committed…so I lost…but it’s been a long week…so who knows.

I am NOT the source. And I have no clue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wait…TJD is coming back…and you are hearing we are getting DD??? Who is leaving?? Trayce was the only one I thought was possible to leave. Which made sense why Reneau kid committed…so I’m lost…but it’s been a long week…so who knows.

Great question, but as has been said a few times earlier, possibly no one.  The age of the NIL changes a lot of things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In 1980 (your favorite decade) Joe Charboneau hit .289, hit 23 homers, and won the AL Rookie of the year.  Over the next two years, he hit .210 and .214 with a combined total of 6 home runs.  Sometimes one year doesn't indicate an athlete's true self.  

THE SPOT

I know I said with the advent of the portal that IU should treat it like a business, but...

All this talk about trying to move Anthony Leal off of his scholarship is insane to me. Everything I've heard, everything I've read says he's the hardest worker on the team. He's always the first one off the bench to congratulate teammates. He's exemplary in the classroom, in the public eye, and in practices and workouts. He's had stretches of games where he's been good on both ends. Does he need to improve on D and making his outside shot more reliable? Sure he does...but there are a lot of kids on our roster that need to improve. But Anthony's affect on the team and the example he sets in practice, off the court, and in the classroom cannot be overlooked from a chemistry standpoint. And I think Coach Woodson knows that.

The way I see it, is if Trayce returns, we have this...

Frontcourt 

TJD 

Race 

Geronimo 

Banks 

Duncomb 

Reneau 

Kopp 

Backcourt 

XJ 

Galloway 

Bates 

Gunn 

Leal 

JHS 

Seems to me if we're heavy anywhere, it's the frontcourt. If TJD comes back and we just have to have Dexter Dennis, then I say we ask a frontcourt player to move along. 

And I don't believe we'd take both Dennis and McNeill. 

Just an opinion...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know I said with the advent of the portal that IU should treat it like a business, but...

All this talk about trying to move Anthony Leal off of his scholarship is insane to me. Everything I've heard, everything I've read says he's the hardest worker on the team. He's always the first one off the bench to congratulate teammates. He's exemplary in the classroom, in the public eye, and in practices and workouts. He's had stretches of games where he's been good on both ends. Does he need to improve on D and making his outside shot more reliable? Sure he does...but there are a lot of kids on our roster that need to improve. But Anthony's affect on the team and the example he sets in practice, off the court, and in the classroom cannot be overlooked from a chemistry standpoint. And I think Coach Woodson knows that.

The way I see it, is if Trayce returns, we have this...

Frontcourt 

TJD 

Race 

Geronimo 

Banks 

Duncomb 

Reneau 

Kopp 

Backcourt 

XJ 

Galloway 

Bates 

Gunn 

Leal 

JHS 

Seems to me if we're heavy anywhere, it's the frontcourt. If TJD comes back and we just have to have Dexter Dennis, then I say we ask a frontcourt player to move along. 

And I don't believe we'd take both Dennis and McNeill. 

Just an opinion...

Agree 100%! Love what Anthony Leal brings to this team.

• Like 4