Transfer Portal 2022

The reality is that, if someone does leave because of Trayce returning and adding Dennis or McNeil, it will likely be someone that is wanting/needing/expecting major minutes.  The guys who are 11-13 in the rotation are not losing playing time if someone else joins.  It makes no sense to go to Player #13 and say 'You're going to lose playing time' when there was little to no playing time to begin with.  

• Like 6

Just now, 5fouls said:

The reality is that, if someone does leave because of Trayce returning and adding Dennis or McNeil, it will likely be someone that is wanting/needing/expecting major minutes.  The guys who are 11-13 in the rotation are not losing playing time if someone else joins.  It makes no sense to go to Player #13 and say 'You're going to lose playing time' when there was little to no playing time to begin with.  

Yeah that is actually a good point, he is going to want playing time and not 10 or 12 minutes a game. So whatever minutes he gets will be taken from someone that is expecting them and I would assume that isn't Leal and Logan. So IF he does join the Hoosiers who would most likely leave? The players minutes he would be cutting into would have to be one of Kopp, Bates, Geronimo or Galloway. I wouldn't trade him for either of the three young guys and I would be surprised if Miller left at this point. I guess we will see how it all plays out. Maybe NIL will come into play with this.

16 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Which players are getting NIL 💰

Are the transfers and recruits getting it?  

What does it matter? IU is playing by the rules set forth...

Just because NIL actually means NIL in the Purdue world isn't anybody's fault but your administration's...

• Like 4

Seems likely that Pack is headed to Miami. If this plays out....for those on Twitter give John Ruiz a look. He's the billionaire Cane alum who is just loading up NIL deals mostly for football but stepping into basketball recently for boys and girls.

Glad we have a Cook family member wanting to spend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What does it matter? IU is playing by the rules set forth...

Just because NIL actually means NIL in the Purdue world isn't anybody's fault but your administration's...

You're completely missing what he's saying. 

This dude has Purdue in his name, but he actually comes here to discuss IU. Like he is on topic right now. 

He is saying "what players are on NIL deals" as in..  are we locked into them or can we utilize that money for a scholly... he's discussing. 

All I'm saying-- this guy actually comes here to discuss our team, and very rarely tries to make it about Purdue, at all. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

🤷‍♂️

Then so be it. The only one I don't want to lose is Bates. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To me, there’s one very clear guy that stands to lose minutes with TJD coming back and MR coming in and I agree it’s not an end of the bench guy. We will see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This dude has Purdue in his name, but he actually comes here to discuss IU. Like he is on topic right now. 

He is saying "what players are on NIL deals" as in..  are we locked into them or can we utilize that money for a scholly... he's discussing. 

All I'm saying-- this guy actually comes here to discuss our team, and very rarely tries to make it about Purdue, at all. 🤷‍♂️

👍

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's a big boy, let him answer for himself...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems likely that Pack is headed to Miami. If this plays out....for those on Twitter give John Ruiz a look. He's the billionaire Cane alum who is just loading up NIL deals mostly for football but stepping into basketball recently for boys and girls.

Glad we have a Cook family member wanting to spend. 

Looks like it, he just got CB’d to Miami

• Like 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

If losing him is the wake-up call our AD needs to get their crap together, that’s fine with me. 

The question is though, will they get their crap together. It seems like they should have gotten it together already because it's not like NIL just started today. That being said they still might get Pack, nobody knows for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

The question is though, will they get their crap together. It seems like they should have gotten it together already because it's not like NIL just started today. That being said they still might get Pack, nobody knows for sure.

I think they will. Too much at stake not too IMO. Our AD can be notoriously slow to implement things so this unfortunately didn’t come as a shock that we didn’t have our shit together already. Pack is gone we already have another guard visiting today I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I think they will. Too much at stake not too IMO. Our AD can be notoriously slow to implement things so this unfortunately didn’t come as a shock that we didn’t have our shit together already. Pack is gone we already have another guard visiting today I believe. 

Luckily the few Purdue fans I know are not close friends because if they were I would have to hope for their sanity that the Boilermakers do get it together. Since they are not I can keep hoping they fail on the NIL front lol. 😁

• Like 1

I think one thing is being overlooked in this whole NIL discussion...

People who have money have it because they know how to make money, and protect it...

No one with any sense (common or money) is going to enter into these agreements without looking for a return on their investment. 

These aren't just "jock sniffers" looking for a "in" to the program. They're business people who see an opportunity to make money while helping IU peripherally.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's a big boy, let him answer for himself...

You guys are more than fair with me….it is an IU fab board 

why wouldn’t 70% of the players go portal every year?  I’m actually amazed Edey or Furst didn’t do it.

I had Montgomery GI Bill 💵….an entire $1,000 every single year and was thrilled……imagine the trouble I could have gotten into with $50,000!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A famous Bob Knight recruiting story with Sammy Drummer, a highly rated recruit.  Had him on campus.  Made the pitch.  At the end, Drummer essentially said "what else do I get?"  Meaning money.  That was the end of the visit.

How times change.

With NIL, now it's the school that's saying "here's what else."

Drummer averaged 20 ppg in college, and was drafted by the NBA, 4th round.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

A famous Bob Knight recruiting story with Sammy Drummer, a highly rated recruit.  Had him on campus.  Made the pitch.  At the end, Drummer essentially said "what else do I get?"  Meaning money.  That was the end of the visit.

With NIL, "what else?" is part of the pitch now, and it's the university bringing up the topic.

I remember Drummer very well...He was the best player on the Indiana All Star team in 1975, even though Kyle Macy won Mr BB (Jerry Sichting was a better player than Macy too, which proved out at Purdue).

If I recall correctly, Sam ended up getting tangled up with drugs and was shot to death in his hometown of Muncie

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

With NIL, "what else?" is part of the pitch now, and it's the university bringing up the topic.

As a freshman in 1975-76 at Austin Peay, Drummer averaged 16 points a game. He wasn’t going to do that here, not in 75-76. At minimum, he’s behind May, Abernathy and Radford on the depth chart at forward. 

He sat out a season transferring to Georgia Tech where he averaged 21 and 23 points, leading a couple of mediocre GT seasons.  

He probably does see some minutes as a sophomore, as we were thin in the front court behind Benson and Radford, with Grunwald’s injuries. As an upperclassman, I’d say he contributes, but his numbers wouldn’t have looked as good. Some kid named Woodson was lighting up the scoresheet….wonder if he ever made anything of himself. :coffee: 

Regardless, yes he was drafted but never played a game in the NBA. 

All that said, may the man Rest In Peace.  He was fatally shot in 1995 in what is still an unsolved murder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

People who have money have it because they know how to make money, and protect it...

No one with any sense (common or money) is going to enter into these agreements without looking for a return on their investment. 

These aren't just "jock sniffers" looking for a "in" to the program. They're business people who see an opportunity to make money while helping IU peripherally.

You think these players are actually doing anything of real value?

Pack gets $500,000 at Miami….if he walked through south beach with his jersey on nobody knows who he is…

I actually think it’s lame to call it a charity….if you want to buy players…no discounts or deductions 

is there a hedge fund billionaire from an Ivy League school waiting to jump in?  
How  great would it be if Tiger decides Stanford is getting $20 million a year !

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I actually think it’s lame to call it a charity….if you want to buy players…no discounts or deductions.

I doubt it is charity.  I'm guessing most businesses are writing it off as marketing an the recipient has to report it as income.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't agree. There are small money deals out there that are actually business decisions, but the real money here is just boosters supporting their teams. Just as donations to an athletic program have never been about return on investment, so to NIL deals are not about making money. Donors want their teams to win, they want to feel like they're a real part of that winning and they want to be treated like big-shots.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't agree. There are small money deals out there that are actually business decisions, but the real money here is just boosters supporting their teams. Just as donations to an athletic program have never been about return on investment, so to NIL deals are not about making money. Donors want their teams to win, they want to feel like they're a real part of that winning and they want to be treated like big-shots.

That’s why Purdue is caught out.  They actually treated it like a small website where local businesses could get in touch with players 

sasha got $10,000?