Transfer Portal 2022

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I can't imagine Painter is long for staying in coaching at this point, unless he's able and willing to pivot Purdue into something like a Wisconsin model and remain winning. 

Wisconsin's got Johnsonville Brats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Confused on what Bob Knight has to do with this?

Otherwise, you don't "dig in" if you don't have interest in digging in. Painter didn't just lose out on a 5* player to Duke. He lost an in-state Kansas St transfer to freaking Miami over an NIL deal. 

You said you that if your Painter you have to wonder why he's still doing this in earlier post. I named a guy who got off on beating guys he knew were cheating....i.e Wooden, Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois,etc...

Maybe I should have typed more. I'm just saying that if you believe in something (i.e. not paying players legally) you dig in deeper in your beliefs and figure it out. You don't run and hide. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Confused on what Bob Knight has to do with this?

Otherwise, you don't "dig in" if you don't have interest in digging in. Painter didn't just lose out on a 5* player to Duke. He lost an in-state Kansas St transfer to freaking Miami over an NIL deal. 

Like legit $800k for a guy who isn’t even a sure fire bet to be an NBA. Shit is getting wild. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You said you that if your Painter you have to wonder why he's still doing this in earlier post. I named a guy who got off on beating guys he knew were cheating....i.e Wooden, Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois,etc...

Maybe I should have typed more. I'm just saying that if you believe in something (i.e. not paying players legally) you dig in deeper in your beliefs and figure it out. You don't run and hide. 

I've seen numerous posts over the years from posters citing IU players in the 80's and 90's driving some pretty sweet rides over the years. Not saying Knight was cheating, but it's also naive to think IU was the bastion of clean vs. the evil cheaters. 

Also, Knight going up against a few powerhouse cheaters for a few 5* players is not the same as everyone and their brother being able to throw six figure deals at transfers and end of the bench guys. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Like legit $800k for a guy who isn’t even a sure fire bet to be an NBA. Shit is getting wild. 

Paying Nigel Pack $800K to go to Miami is not the same as competing with Duke to get Zion Williamson. 

In the past, Painter wouldn't normally being going after guys he had to compete like that for, now he has no choice. 

I've seen numerous posts over the years from posters cities IU players in the 80's and 90's driving some pretty sweet rides over the years. Not saying Knight was cheating, but it's also naive to think IU was the bastion of clean vs. the evil cheaters. 

Also, Knight going up against a few powerhouse cheaters for a few 5* players is not the same as everyone and their brother being able to throw six figure deals at transfers and end of the bench guys. 

I hung with Sherron Wilkerson for awhile. He drove a crappy Ford Tempo during his time in Bloomington. I know Bailey had Mustang 5.0 but that was Mom and Dad. Cheaney and Graham had crap cars until Barnstorming tour and Calbert went White Explorer and Graham went Dark Green SUV of some type.

Only shady stuff I saw during my time at IU was on the football side.

Sorry to get off topic. Pack is a really good shooter and I guess someone thinks he's worth that much. I for one don't at all. 

• Like 2

Here’s my question: let’s say Miami has a rough year next year and Pack struggles. Granted I don’t think Miami is a rabid fan base for basketball by any stretch of the imagination but could you imagine fans/student section? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they’re like “You’re getting paid $400k a year and this is all we get?!” And what about other current players on Miami that don’t have any money? Could that cause resentment toward him and cause team chemistry issues?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s my question: let’s say Miami has a rough year next year and Pack struggles. Granted I don’t think Miami is a rabid fan base for basketball by any stretch of the imagination but could you imagine fans/student section? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they’re like “You’re getting paid $400k a year and this is all we get?!” And what about other current players on Miami that don’t have any money? Could that cause resentment toward him and cause team chemistry issues?

I never thought about it from that point of view, but I can see that happening. Kids are becoming businessmen and with that comes a whole new level of scrutiny. When getting handsomely paid to do a job, performance becomes everything. Unintended consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It absolutely will which is why I'm glad for IU's sake we have a coach who has experience in keeping the team the team when one guy is making $25M a year and another is making $3M by NBA standards.

Money has caused natural resentment since the beginning of time. Now it's just going to get a little worse inside the lockerroom...but hey that's what kids wanted right?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I never thought about it from that point of view, but I can see that happening. Kids are becoming businessmen and with that comes a whole new level of scrutiny. When getting handsomely paid to do a job, performance becomes everything. Unintended consequences.

Like if you’re a guard on that team who has a better year than Pack, I’d be like hey Miami either pay me more than him or I’m going somewhere else that can. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It's no doubt going to add pressure on players. But at the end of the day, this is what many of them wanted, and those are the expectations when you take the $800,000. A company doesn’t hire someone for top dollar and put up with mediocre results. Whether they want to admit it or not, they are "professionals" in a sense now.

I dont think many kids will ever understand that. They are 18-22 years old, I wouldn't expect them to. But they'll learn real quick, there's no such thing as free money. People and universities that pay that kind of money expect results. No excuses. Kids better learn how to deal with those expectations. 

Edited by ephul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

I'm not advocating for this, but certain things have always sort of been off limits in college sports vs pro sports. 

You don't typically boo college kids. The coach gets booed, but you don't typically boo college kids like you do pros. 

Yes, I know it happens occasionally, but it's not the norm. 

So, now that these guys are getting paid 6-7 figures, like professionals, do those things go out the window? Do they stop being treated different than pros?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm not advocating for this, but certain things have always sort of been off limits in college sports vs pro sports. 

You don't typically boo college kids. The coach gets booed, but you don't typically boo college kids like you do pros. 

Yes, I know it happens occasionally, but it's not the norm. 

So, now that these guys are getting paid 6-7 figures, like professionals, do those things go out the window? Do they stop being treated different than pros?

I think, for better or worse, that's the road we are heading down. Maybe a case of "be careful what you wish for".

• Like 3

I don't know how to share correctly so just a cut and paste. This is the $ guy at Miami....some fan was asking about why he announced online. Sounds like this one was done well before today. 

He committed days ago. Simply announced today. I’m addition, he announced before we did. Then again really a silly comment. Be happy for the student-athlete, there is a reason why he is able to command an NIL deal of this nature. To add, he is an amazing youngster!

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know how to share correctly so just a cut and paste. This is the $ guy at Miami....some fan was asking about why he announced online. Sounds like this one was done well before today. 

He committed days ago. Simply announced today. I’m addition, he announced before we did. Then again really a silly comment. Be happy for the student-athlete, there is a reason why he is able to command an NIL deal of this nature. To add, he is an amazing youngster!

You guys kill me lol 

I saw these twitter convos earlier, so I knew exactly what you were talking about haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So he’s basically admitting they bought him lol. At least they’re not even trying to hide it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So he’s basically admitting they bought him lol. At least they’re not even trying to hide it. 

I'm a Canes guy (football) since I was 9. This is the moment they've been waiting for. After watching Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU,etc....step into South Florida for recruits the last 20 years because the $ was better now they have a fair chance.

Back to Pack though. No way in the world he's worth this much. I can't wait until we can see the actual contracts (they always get leaked)...maybe the $800k is incentive laden like an aging NFL star. If you hit these numbers the $ will be paid. No way this can all be guaranteed. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a Canes guy (football) since I was 9. This is the moment they've been waiting for. After watching Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU,etc....step into South Florida for recruits the last 20 years because the $ was better now they have a fair chance.

Back to Pack though. No way in the world he's worth this much. I can't wait until we can see the actual contracts (they always get leaked)...maybe the $800k is incentive laden like an aging NFL star. If you hit these numbers the $ will be paid. No way this can all be guaranteed. 

If it’s all guaranteed, couldn’t he theoretically transfer to Purdue next month? Or what if he gets injured and can’t play? I could see it getting ugly really fast. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2