Transfer Portal 2022

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a Canes guy (football) since I was 9. This is the moment they've been waiting for. After watching Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU,etc....step into South Florida for recruits the last 20 years because the $ was better now they have a fair chance.

Back to Pack though. No way in the world he's worth this much. I can't wait until we can see the actual contracts (they always get leaked)...maybe the $800k is incentive laden like an aging NFL star. If you hit these numbers the $ will be paid. No way this can all be guaranteed. 

It's a freaking arms race that just ruined college athletics.  If Nigel Pack is worth $800,000, things have already (not surpisingly) spiraled completely out of control.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If it’s all guaranteed, couldn’t he theoretically transfer to Purdue next month? Or what if he gets injured and can’t play? I could see it getting ugly really fast. 

That's why I'm saying no way this is guaranteed. Probably a good chunk but just like NFL contracts.....the guarantee is all that matters.

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Let’s think about this too for a second: with Pack making $400k a year, that means he’s likely making more than what, 95% of college assistant coaches probably? Imagine you’re an assistant at a P5 school and a player is making more than you. Wild Wild West has begun. 

And maybe not just the wild west for players. I don't know Painter's position on NIL deals but I assume I know Mitch's position. Wonder how long before we see a head scratching coaching move where a coach leaves a traditionally strong school for and upstart simply because the new school is all in on NIL deals.  Why coach with one hand tied behind your back. Not saying that would be the situation with Matt/Purdue but I bet it does happen at some point for some coach.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Interesting that we were able to pull Reneau away from Miami?

Trust me. I'm sitting here now going how in the world did we do this? Maybe the message is we'll do NIL for you for sure but the real $ is in 2-3 years in the NBA because of our coach? 

Weird weird times. I love the kids getting $ but an outright bidding war isn't what I want. Oh well as long as IU does their part I'm cool with it I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TargaFlorio said:

And maybe not just the wild west for players. I don't know Painter's position on NIL deals but I assume I know Mitch's position. Wonder how long before we see a head scratching coaching move where a coach leaves a traditionally strong school for and upstart simply because the new school is all in on NIL deals.  Why coach with one hand tied behind your back. Not saying that would be the situation with Matt/Purdue but I bet it does happen at some point for some coach.  

Given the size of the endowments and alumni net worth I present the 2026 Final 4 will be Yale, Harvard, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. I'm sitting here now going how in the world did we do this? Maybe the message is we'll do NIL for you for sure but the real $ is in 2-3 years in the NBA because of our coach? 

Weird weird times. I love the kids getting $ but an outright bidding war isn't what I want. Oh well as long as IU does their part I'm cool with it I guess.

My guess is they targeted Pack because he's more established at this level. I didn't even know who Reneau was until a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a Canes guy (football) since I was 9. This is the moment they've been waiting for. After watching Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU,etc....step into South Florida for recruits the last 20 years because the $ was better now they have a fair chance.

Back to Pack though. No way in the world he's worth this much. I can't wait until we can see the actual contracts (they always get leaked)...maybe the $800k is incentive laden like an aging NFL star. If you hit these numbers the $ will be paid. No way this can all be guaranteed. 

Dude (Ruiz) is worth $20 billion. $800k isn't even a drop in the bucket.

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Dude (Ruiz) is worth $20 billion. $800k isn't even a drop in the bucket.

If he's only earning 1% a year he gets $20M a year to play with....and that's if he stops earning. This is just having fun $ to him and he's helping a school he loves.

Hope Cooks continue to do the same!

This probably is far fetched but say this guy from Miami who is paying out all of this money.  What if he wants to get that money back by betting on games.  He could have the guys throw games that he is betting on and promised those players more money.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Thanks 1