Transfer Portal 2022

One last comment before back to life duties. Good thing for us  Kalen Irsay (Jackson) is board member with IU Varsity Club and big supporter. Obviously the Simon's are as well. Those two ladies along with Cook gives us a fighting chance in the billionaire alumni club. 

Go Hoosiers!

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't wait for the agents to start buying their guys early on as well. Not that it doesn't happen in some form already a little....but what's to prevent an agent at ABC university putting up $ because he knows he or she will get it back on lifetime of contracts? 

Seems to be the definition of "can of worms".

• Like 1

We can roll our eyes at Pack's $800,000.  But IU would be foolish to not accept the reality, and quickly. 

Market prices are being set here, just like any commodity.  I expect they will continue to go up, not down.  I hope IU gets ahead of the curve and leads the way.  Worst case is we overpay.  If we sit and watch, it will be worse.

We can be sure recruits and transfers already feel this way.

Yesterday, I posted an idea to get the top 5 recruits on a visit at the same time and offer them a million dollars each to all sign. 

24 hours later, it's clear I underestimated the price by a big margin. 

Now I expect some school will try to buy a new "Fab Five" for $25 million, if the players are good enough.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One last comment before back to life duties. Good thing for us  Kalen Irsay (Jackson) is board member with IU Varsity Club and big supporter. Obviously the Simon's are as well. Those two ladies along with Cook gives us a fighting chance in the billionaire alumni club. 

Go Hoosiers!

I think it's much better then a fighting chance. 

Edited by btownqb

14 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Market prices are being set here, just like any commodity. 

I think this is the key. For the first couple of years contracts will be all over the map.  Player values will be established over time, one way or another. 

Who knows if $800k will be high for arguably the best transfer in CBB, but keep in mind the NBA league minimum is $925k.

I know some might not like the answer but is Pack’s general overall value as high as some ‘no namer’ in the NBA who rides the bench? 

I gotta say it is. And if it is, then buckle up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So no more small teams in college basketball which probably would drive me away from college sports.  

Dude, you've been saying for years that if this thing or this other thing happens you'll stop watching college sports. Then those things happened and yet here you are.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Who will be college sports first million dollar NIL player, and how long will it take to get there?

The hiring of Woodson, who is used to dealing with guys who are getting paid, looks more and more like ahead of the game thinking with each passing day. 

There have already been some in football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Who will be college sports first million dollar NIL player, and how long will it take to get there?

The hiring of Woodson, who is used to dealing with guys who are getting paid, looks more and more like ahead of the game thinking with each passing day. 

Pretty sure there are already some that make that or more.  I think the big guy at UK is getting around 2 mil. and the QB at Alabama

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s my question: let’s say Miami has a rough year next year and Pack struggles. Granted I don’t think Miami is a rabid fan base for basketball by any stretch of the imagination but could you imagine fans/student section? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they’re like “You’re getting paid $400k a year and this is all we get?!” And what about other current players on Miami that don’t have any money? Could that cause resentment toward him and cause team chemistry issues?

Would live to see the NIL version of 2021-22 Lakers. 

23 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Master P's son signed a 4 yr/$2 million deal to play at Tennessee State last year.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

WTH?

While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.

"The new policy preserves the fact college sports are not pay-for-play," said Division II Presidents Council chair Sandra Jordan, chancellor at the University of South Carolina Aiken. "It also reinforces key principles of fairness and integrity across the NCAA and maintains rules prohibiting improper recruiting inducements. It's important any new rules maintain these principles."

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So no more small teams in college basketball which probably would drive me away from college sports.  

The small schools become the "minor leagues" for the big boys unless they got major financial backing.  Got to love capitalism...

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Interesting that we were able to pull Reneau away from Miami?

For a year 

seriously….why wouldn’t he and Furst try the portal next year?

you guys want TKR….go get him 

hate UK….go after their best player 

Zuckerberg decides Harvard is final 4 bound…..for $30 million in FB marketing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

The small schools become the "minor leagues" for the big boys unless they got major financial backing.  Got to love capitalism...

Those small teams are what make the tournament and without them less people will watch it. Instead of seeing St. Peters making a run is not the same as seeing Minnesota making a run.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't know how they could prevent it.  NIL was decided in court already.

I think it ALLOWS players to make money off NIL but doesn’t REQUIRE it. That said, nothing prevents a player from arranging his own NIL deal but sure you would get more with university’s help