Transfer Portal 2022

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Charity is also subject to a floor (standard deduction) and a ceiling with both the 30%/50% of income limitation and the AMT.  Again, a marketing deduction has none of these imitations. 

Valid. 

In all likelihood, these guys know how to double dip on this stuff anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not likely. Pro players are taxed in multiple states because they’re contract employees. NIL deals are more 1099/independent contractor deals and would default to the state in which the contract work occurred. 

But don't they work in multiple places.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Free market economics. Someone/something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. 

Thing is did Ruiz think he was…or did the staff convince Ruiz he would be…and if he isn’t how many misses til Ruiz has rhe staff removed….slippery slope these programs are walking down…be careful who you partner with and let inside your program.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not going to try and play tax guy or tax attorney but yes. Here's a link to an article that covers the broad strokes. 

Paying taxes isn't a bad thing. It means folks are making $....but in some of these tax heavy states for the elite of elite recruits I could see some kids favoriting no tax states like Florida or Texas. Again....elite of elite. Not a guy doing an ad for the local burger or pizza shop.

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2021/nil-taxes-1234633902/

No income tax in Florida….it’s pretty nice I won’t lie.

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Pack has committed to Miami

I'm late to the party. Bonfire and beer with family that I haven't seen in a while, but this news has me laughing my ass off and doing a little dance. I am 6ft 5in and around 210 pounds so you guys would be laughing your asses off watching me dance. It is going to be nice to see them on the bubble this season and the Hoosiers around a three or four seed.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I'm late to the party. Bonfire and beer with family that I haven't seen in a while, but this news has me laughing my ass off and doing a little dance. I am 6ft 5in and around 210 pounds so you guys would be laughing your asses off watching me dance. It is going to be nice to see them on the bubble this season and the Hoosiers around a three or four seed.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

giphy.gif

Think you need a shave, too!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Did I miss something?

If you think what is happening in college sports is a good thing just because Purdue missed out on a good player than you are incredibly short sighted. It’s Purdue today but very likely IU tomorrow. Honestly it’s the end of amateurism and it will simply be like professional sports. Long gone will be the “student athlete”…it will just be hired guns…and while the Yankees and Dodgers don’t always win they will always have the money to take the best players and be in the best position to win. While we may not be the equivalent of the Oakland As playing money ball we still aren’t going to be the Bostons/Yankees of the world…there is no certainty this is going to be a good thing for IU and definitely not for college sports overall as far as parity goes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You hit the nail on the head. I could see Painter being like F this and retire earlier than he would’ve planned. If you take NIL out of the equation, Pack would be at Purdue with no questions asked IMO. 

There is no reason for him to say F this and retire early. Purdue needs to get off their high horse and accept that NIL is the future of college sports and that if you want to retain players or bring high level recruits in NIL is going to have to be involved in some way.

Just now, dgambill said:

If you think what is happening in college sports is a good thing just because Purdue missed out on a good player than you are incredibly short sighted. It’s Purdue today but very likely IU tomorrow. Honestly it’s the end of amateurism and it will simply be like professional sports. Long gone will be the “student athlete”…it will just be hired guns…and while the Yankees and Dodgers don’t always win they will always have the money to take the best players and be in the best position to win. While we may not be the equivalent of the Oakland As playing money ball we still aren’t going to be the Bostons/Yankees of the world…there is no certainty this is going to be a good thing for IU and definitely not for college sports overall as far as parity goes.

Man whatever, it is how the sport is now and I have no control over it. Either accept it or move on.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

There is no reason for him to say F this and retire early. Purdue needs to get off their high horse and accept that NIL is the future of college sports and that if you want to retain players or bring high level recruits in NIL is going to have to be involved in some way.

The reason would be if Painter just doesn't want to deal with it. He might not. I think we'll see a few longer tenured coaches get out of early with how NIL and the transfer portal are changing things. 

• Like 2

There’s a difference accepting NIL is the future and seeing a guy blatantly get bought for $800k which isn’t what NIL is meant to be. Two very different things. I’m sure if it was IU instead of Purdue in that situation and you saw that tweet from the Miami guy you’d be singing a bit of a different tune. 

• Like 4

Man whatever, it is how the sport is now and I have no control over it. Either accept it or move on.

My point still stands…it isn’t good for college sports…at least not the way it’s being handled in this current form….and no reason to believe IU will benefit from this either…even with our more progressive stance on NIL doesn’t mean we are going to be able to compete any better with those throwing out crazy money to these kids.

• Like 5

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

There’s a difference accepting NIL is the future and seeing a guy blatantly get bought for $800k which isn’t what NIL is meant to be. Two very different things. I’m sure if it was IU instead of Purdue in that situation and you saw that tweet from the Miami guy you’d be singing a bit of a different tune. 

Actually I wouldn't at all, that is going to happen a lot. Is there a limit on how much money they can get since you say 800k isn't what NIL was meant to be? Purdue needs to get their arrogant heads out of their ass and join the party. I don't necessarily like the direction the NIL is going but it is here to stay and teams better step up to the plate or get left behind.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He will cross that bridge (that is out of order) when he gets there…he is just too short sighted to see it’s just a little further up the road because he is riding in one of those self driving cars and thinks everything is on cruise control and he will get to the top of the mountain with his fancy car…well IUs car ain’t making it to the top any more than PUs even if it has a few more cool features. Just the dudes/universities flying choppers will make it…hate to break it to people but IU ain’t flying their recruits in choppers any time soon.

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Actually I wouldn't at all, that is going to happen a lot. Is there a limit on how much money they can get since you say 800k isn't what NIL was meant to be? Purdue needs to get their arrogant heads out of their ass and join the party. I don't necessarily like the direction the NIL is going but it is here to stay and teams better step up to the plate or get left behind.

Arrogant? That’s maybe the last word I’d choose in this situation lol. NIL isn’t meant to be used to recruit players and this was exactly what it was used for. Their booster wasn’t even trying to hide it. It’d be the same issue if they had offered him $450k. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My point still stands…it isn’t good for college sports…at least not the way it’s being handled in this current form….and no reason to believe IU will benefit from this either…even with our more progressive stance on NIL doesn’t mean we are going to be able to compete any better with those throwing out crazy money to these kids.

And my point still stands, it isn't going anywhere so either quit whining or quit watching. The NCAA is done as we know it, you either accept or move on to something else.

• Confused 1