Transfer Portal 2022

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He will cross that bridge (that is out of order) when he gets there…he is just too short sighted to see it’s just a little further up the road because he is riding in one of those self driving cars and thinks everything is on cruise control and he will get to the top of the mountain with his fancy car…well IUs car ain’t making it to the top any more than PUs even if it has a few more cool features. Just the dudes/universities flying choppers will make it…hate to break it to people but IU ain’t flying their recruits in choppers any time soon.

Ok i never considered you a douche bag but this post changes my mind.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

And my point still stands, it isn't going anywhere so either quit whining or quit watching. The NCAA is done as we know it, you either accept or move on to something else.

I think the farther along you will see more longtime college fans stop caring about it.  It is how I have become about the NBA over the years.  I went from loving the NBA to not even watching the playoffs any longer 

• Like 1

Honestly I always thought NIL should have been limited to selling of merchandise with players number/name on it and like autograph and appearance fees (although limited to set $$ amount) Like they get the royalties off Jersey sells and maybe limit of 10k for appearance etc. If NCAA had put something in place progressively when the Obannon thing happened we might not be where we are today…or at least would have slowly inched our way with more guidelines and rules then where we are today with just a cluster “F” and the Wild West. Of course the NCAA hasn’t gotten much right ever so shouldn’t surprise me.

• Haha 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Honestly I always thought NIL should have been limited to selling of merchandise with players number/name on it and like autograph and appearance fees (although limited to set $$ amount) Like they get the royalties off Jersey sells and maybe limit of 10k for appearance etc. If NCAA had put something in place progressively when the Obannon thing happened we might not be where we are today…or at least would have slowly inched our way with more guidelines and rules then where we are today with just a cluster “F” and the Wild West. Of course the NCAA hasn’t gotten much right ever so shouldn’t surprise me.

NCAA couldn’t have f***** this any more than they did. They have been a joke in all of it lol. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the farther along you will see more longtime college fans stop caring about it.  It is how I have become about the NBA over the years.  I went from loving the NBA to not even watching the playoffs any longer 

Yeah I think you are right, I don't watch the NBA that much anymore either.

But admit it Scott if the Pacers somehow get Chet you are going to watch every game lol. 😁 🤣

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Ok i never considered you a douche bag but this post changes my mind.

Wow…ok..that’s a first..never been called that..would have thought it might hurt from a fellow IU fan..but actually just made me chuckle. Sorry if I offended you…but I get no joy ruin peoples mood by saying we aren’t going to be the biggest benefits in this NIL game being played. It isn’t going to even the playing field for us as far as the Kansas and UKs etc who were already paying guys…it just isn’t. We might win out over Purdue…but heck Purdue has beaten our ass with “lesser” players for years…they will do just fine not getting the top dogs. Probably never win a NC sure…but this isn’t our winning lottery ticket back to the final four either…it might help in finalizing a few kids but we aren’t going to land full lineups of 5* kids with this stuff. The stuff that happens at Miami and Texas A&M etc ain’t going to happen at IU.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think that is exactly what the NIL was supposed to be for.  It was not supposed to be an enticement to go to a certain school. The school was not supposed to have anything to do with getting players deals and not promising anything until the student signs.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Wow…ok..that’s a first..never been called that..would have thought it might hurt from a fellow IU fan..but actually just made me chuckle. Sorry if I offended you…but I get no joy ruin peoples mood by saying we aren’t going to be the biggest benefits in this NIL game being played. It isn’t going to even the playing field for us as far as the Kansas and UKs etc who were already paying guys…it just isn’t. We might win out over Purdue…but heck Purdue has beaten our ass with “lesser” players for years…they will do just fine not getting the top dogs. Probably never win a NC sure…but this isn’t our winning lottery ticket back to the final four either…it might help in finalizing a few kids but we aren’t going to land full lineups of 5* kids with this stuff. The stuff that happens at Miami and Texas A&M etc ain’t going to happen at IU.

Well when you come out swinging like an ass on a post you are going to get it back.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing wrong with his post

It’s alright Scott…I can come off somewhat an ass…but this thread sure is weird..would have thought we would all be universally denouncing what we are seeing…not just happy it happened to Purdue first. But what do I know. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

How long until there is real tampering and luring kids away from other programs?? Not just kids already in the portal? I mean every all American should enter the portal and put their name in the hat for as much money they can get.

I am sure it has already happened

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This probably is far fetched but say this guy from Miami who is paying out all of this money.  What if he wants to get that money back by betting on games.  He could have the guys throw games that he is betting on and promised those players more money.

He could, and then you have a federal crime. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This probably is far fetched but say this guy from Miami who is paying out all of this money.  What if he wants to get that money back by betting on games.  He could have the guys throw games that he is betting on and promised those players more money.

He could, and then you have a federal crime. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So he’s basically admitting they bought him lol. At least they’re not even trying to hide it. 

I've never liked Purdue, wanted to beat them at everything, but have always respected the way they go about things. It's also an outstanding university. The NIL stuff puts every school who has trie, mostly, to do the right thing at a tremendous disadvantage. There will no longer be a student-athlete, there will only be mercenaries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I've never liked Purdue, wanted to beat them at everything, but have always respected the way they go about things. It's also an outstanding university. The NIL stuff puts every school who has trie, mostly, to do the right thing at a tremendous disadvantage. There will no longer be a student-athlete, there will only be mercenaries.

Amen sir!

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I'm late to the party. Bonfire and beer with family that I haven't seen in a while, but this news has me laughing my ass off and doing a little dance. I am 6ft 5in and around 210 pounds so you guys would be laughing your asses off watching me dance. It is going to be nice to see them on the bubble this season and the Hoosiers around a three or four seed.

giphy.gif

You get what you pay for 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

This is 100% correct 

NCAA spent millions fighting this instead of giving the players a piece of the pie 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TargaFlorio said:

And maybe not just the wild west for players. I don't know Painter's position on NIL deals but I assume I know Mitch's position. Wonder how long before we see a head scratching coaching move where a coach leaves a traditionally strong school for and upstart simply because the new school is all in on NIL deals.  Why coach with one hand tied behind your back. Not saying that would be the situation with Matt/Purdue but I bet it does happen at some point for some coach.  

Painter was on DD about a month ago and he something along the lines of, "when I call a guy(recruit or transfer portal) and the first thing they ask me is how much NIL can I make, I'm hanging up."

But surely he's not so stupid that he doesn't eventually have the conversation.  

Edited by NotIThatLives