Transfer Portal 2022

7 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I’m kinda surprised the same school who proudly never cheated under RMK feels happy to join the dark sid

And I'm kinda surprised that some of the naive around here still fall for your schtick...

It's the way of the world now. There is no "dark side" to it. Just because you and the other holier-than-thous over on Gold and Black Illustrated are getting left in the dust, don't come over here and complain about it.

It's like when the 3 point line came into college basketball and a school saying, "it's going to be the ruination! We're not shooting any!"

200.gif.f6e31e87d56904a69c00e07eb80b93bb.gif

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Another question, I thought NIL is supposed to be independent of where you went to school.  Couldn't Nijel Pack accept all of these offers and then go wherever the F he wants?  Like Miami booster just blasted out to the NCAA that they are operating a pay for play scheme which should be against the rules.  Someone outed Ohio State as well.  If the companies feel that he is worth "X" for his NIL, then he should be worth that no matter where he plays.  For example, Nike pays Lebron James to endorse their product.  Lebron is the marketing tool they are purchasing.  They don't give a rat's butt if he is playing in Miami, Cleveland, or L.A.  They are not selling him as part of those teams, they are just selling him.

The NCAA wanted to get out in front of things, they should say "hold up, we have questions here and we are not going to allow Pack to play at all until we get them answered."  The Miami guy has a big mouth and he idiotically broke the rules (IMO) out in the open.  If the NCAA thinks they are going to have any control whatsoever, this is their hill to die on early in all of this.

• Like 1

We keep speculating about coaches that might walk away from the game.  But what about schools shutting down their sports programs?  Is that a possibility since the rules have changed?  I mean they are supposed to be institutions for higher learning after all.

29 minutes ago, rico said:

We keep speculating about coaches that might walk away from the game.  But what about schools shutting down their sports programs?  Is that a possibility since the rules have changed?  I mean they are supposed to be institutions for higher learning after all.

As long as everybody is making money, nothing is going to shut down...

52 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Another question, I thought NIL is supposed to be independent of where you went to school.  Couldn't Nijel Pack accept all of these offers and then go wherever the F he wants?  Like Miami booster just blasted out to the NCAA that they are operating a pay for play scheme which should be against the rules.  Someone outed Ohio State as well.  If the companies feel that he is worth "X" for his NIL, then he should be worth that no matter where he plays.  For example, Nike pays Lebron James to endorse their product.  Lebron is the marketing tool they are purchasing.  They don't give a rat's butt if he is playing in Miami, Cleveland, or L.A.  They are not selling him as part of those teams, they are just selling him.

The NCAA wanted to get out in front of things, they should say "hold up, we have questions here and we are not going to allow Pack to play at all until we get them answered."  The Miami guy has a big mouth and he idiotically broke the rules (IMO) out in the open.  If the NCAA thinks they are going to have any control whatsoever, this is their hill to die on early in all of this.

This is correct. As from my understanding. The player is getting the endorsement money…irregardless of where they play. I mean I’m sure there are unwritten conversations but him blasting it out there should be the smoking gun the NCAA should need. That said Bill Self is still winning championships at Kansas who literally was caught in phone calls discussing money for players before all this happened and nothing has happened and never a peep from anyone during the final four or anything…disgusting.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Can we have a thread to discuss NIL? 

I bet there is one already if you want to resurrect it. Which is fine….but kinda think these two have become one and the same discussion…until something happens with a player in the portal to get this one back on topic.

Just now, dgambill said:

I bet there is one already if you want to resurrect it. Which is fine….but kinda think these two have become one and the same discussion…until something happens with a player in the portal to get this one back on topic.

I don't at all. But that's completely fine. 100% doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This is correct. As from my understanding. The player is getting the endorsement money…irregardless of where they play. I mean I’m sure there are unwritten conversations but him blasting it out there should be the smoking gun the NCAA should need. That said Bill Self is still winning championships at Kansas who literally was caught in phone calls discussing money for players before all this happened and nothing has happened and never a peep from anyone during the final four or anything…disgusting.

One other thing I could see coming of this, the guys getting in right now will cash in.  However, I think the market will end up resetting itself.  Nijel Pack is not worth $400k a year.  Sorry.  He isn't worth $250k a year either.  He was on a team that went 14-17 last year.  Yeah, he is a decent player but how much of his stats is related to the fact that the rest of his team is just awful?

So guys will cash in now, but eventually I think you will see most schools come around to the idea that these guys are not worth that investment.  That Miami guy basically just lit about 3/4 of that money on fire IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

Probably why we will see the power conference teams break away from the NCAA.  The rest of the schools who really can't compete with the NIL stuff can have a fighting chance to compete.

2 hours ago, rico said:

One person I haven’t seen much talk about is Coach Jim Larranaga. I have to think this NIL deal by this Avenetti type lawyer was done behind his back.Could he be the next coach to just walk away?

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honestly I always thought NIL should have been limited to selling of merchandise with players number/name on it and like autograph and appearance fees (although limited to set $$ amount) Like they get the royalties off Jersey sells and maybe limit of 10k for appearance etc. If NCAA had put something in place progressively when the Obannon thing happened we might not be where we are today…or at least would have slowly inched our way with more guidelines and rules then where we are today with just a cluster “F” and the Wild West. Of course the NCAA hasn’t gotten much right ever so shouldn’t surprise me.

Actual footage of people warning the NCAA that this was going to happen.

dumb-dumber.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

One person I haven’t seen much talk about is Coach Jim Larranaga. I have to think this NIL deal by this Avenetti type lawyer was done behind his back.Could he be the next coach to just walk away?

LOL...well he is 72!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wow…ok..that’s a first..never been called that..would have thought it might hurt from a fellow IU fan..but actually just made me chuckle. Sorry if I offended you…but I get no joy ruin peoples mood by saying we aren’t going to be the biggest benefits in this NIL game being played. It isn’t going to even the playing field for us as far as the Kansas and UKs etc who were already paying guys…it just isn’t. We might win out over Purdue…but heck Purdue has beaten our ass with “lesser” players for years…they will do just fine not getting the top dogs. Probably never win a NC sure…but this isn’t our winning lottery ticket back to the final four either…it might help in finalizing a few kids but we aren’t going to land full lineups of 5* kids with this stuff. The stuff that happens at Miami and Texas A&M etc ain’t going to happen at IU.

So far NIL has been in place for about a year and during that time we have picked up 3 5-star recruits, we've got next year's number 2 coming to campus, and my guess is we hang on to our all-American big man. Too soon to say for sure, but it seems like it might help us.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I’m kinda surprised the same school who proudly never cheated under RMK feels happy to join the dark side 

I wonder how many players are contacting Miami 💰 guy to get an offer 

why aren’t Edey & TJD doing the same?

I don't like it, but what can you do at this point?  The toothpaste is out of the tube here.

I think the NIL is an arms race and is ruining college athletics already.  I think the NCAA had already lost control and the abuses will only get worse.  Not tying these deals to playing at a particular school is a joke...of COURSE these deals will be tied to schools and will dry up when a player transfers.

Every player in the country is looking at the ridiculous Pack deal and assessing their relative value.  I can't speak for Edey, but Trayce has been very loyal to IU...even reconfirming his commitment when IU was playing terribly.  As long as he's treated well and getting adequate NIL money, I don't see him rocking the boat for one more year.  You'd know more than I about how Edey feels about Purdue, but I'd assume any player who's happy and likes a school won't be swayed by a little extra cash.  That's a whole different scene than Pack who had no previous allegiance with Turdue when he took a look.

...and I'll reiterate what I've already said more than once.. ten years from now, it would not surprise me if these teams were nothing more than affiliated club teams.  No scholarships or requirements to attend those pesky classes.  Everyone plays under a contract and moves on to the NBA when the economics dictate. 

Sad for me, but it is what it is.  Money ruined the Olympics and now it's going to ruin college athletics. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Funny how 1 day and one decision can change people 

Seems a lot of @Purdue7's honorable colleagues are jumping off the Purdue Good Ship Lollypop (full of suckers!) and are all in favor of "The Dark Side." 

I’m all for a player using the free market to make money like the school & ncaa do.  

maybe the correct answer is to blow it all up….it’s been a cess pool for years 

11 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I’m kinda surprised the same school who proudly never cheated under RMK feels happy to join the dark side 

If murder were made legal, would you continue living your life as-is with no changes? I don’t have many enemies (that I’m aware of anyway) but if murder became legal, I’m going to start wearing a flak vest and visibly carrying a .45 on my hip. 

Point is, in RMK’s day, paying a player in any way was verboden. Today, there’s a legal way to do it. The world in which college sports exists has a LEGAL way to pay a player. Whether that’s right or wrong, that’s the world today.

There are degrees in which you can approach this. Going back to the murder analogy, you can go around on a murdering spree, which is probably going to get you killed sooner than later. You can take the self-righteous approach and do nothing different, which makes you an easy target. Or, you can prepare to defend yourself without taking any forward action. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I’m all for a player using the free market to make money like the school & ncaa do.  

maybe the correct answer is to blow it all up….it’s been a cess pool for years 

Yet you insinuate that IU fans are being hypocritical for keeping up with the times...

12 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

You also said that while IU might bury Purdue with the NIL, other schools would bury us...

You greatly underestimate the IU brand. We're doing just fine so far, and as NIL goes along and gets more clearly defined, we'll keep doing well...

In the meantime, it'll be the readymade Boiler excuse when we start taking Purdue to the woodshed every year...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2