Transfer Portal 2022

Three other things I'll say about NIL...

Water finds its level 

This isn't a Sam Gilbert scenario where benevolent old men ride around with bags of cash just so they can be close to a team.

This is business, and businesses make money or they go out of business...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Actual footage of people warning the NCAA that this was going to happen.

dumb-dumber.gif

How was the NCAA supposed to stop this? The legal system is the one that said players have a right to their name, image, and likeness, not the NCAA.

If anything, blame the greedy schools and corporations who profited off of the players for years without giving them a cut. If they’d come up with a good solution instead of trying to box the players out this would’ve played out differently. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Three other things I'll say about NIL...

Water finds its level 

This isn't a Sam Gilbert scenario where benevolent old men ride around with bags of cash just so they can be close to a team.

This is business, and businesses make money or they go out of business...

Right? Not all of these $500k+ players are going to equate to team success. Sunk-cost fallacy will come into play at some point.

What happened to all the posts about these kinds of deals already happening behind closed doors pre-NIL?

Edited by HooASUier
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How was the NCAA supposed to stop this? The legal system is the one that said players have a right to their name, image, and likeness, not the NCAA.

If anything, blame the greedy schools and corporations who profited off of the players for years without giving them a cut. If they’d come up with a good solution instead of trying to box the players out this would’ve played out differently. 

By seeing what was obvious and taking action then before being forced to. It's an inept and greedy organization so they chose to not do so. I'm happy so far with how it turned out and the NCAA days are numbered.

36 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Players always got a fair share

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You're answering your own question. That's how they were supposed to stop it.

That said, I don't see any reason not to like the way things are. We will see what happens in the future, but I've got no problem with the fact that the guys who go out and win games get a chunk of the money.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

By not giving them a cut? I don’t understand this mindset. Free tuition, free books, free tutoring, free meals, free lodging, and spending money. I can ASSURE you that all scholarship basketball and football players at Power 5 universities got their cut, and the majority of these kids weren’t the reason universities are making tons of money. That would be bc of a select few, and that select few got the platform to show their skills and a free degree to fall back on. These kids are getting a head start on real life. So I can’t agree they weren’t getting a cut. Every kid in these money making sports should have the ability to go straight to the pros if they don’t like the idea of only getting everything free. You want to benefit from free college or do you want to go get paid? Nobody makes any kids go to college right? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rico said:

No, no they didn't.

How not? Especially when there's alternatives, such as Europe, sitting out a year, etc.

You know what you get when you take a scholarship and play under the NCAA. Don't think it's worth it? Don't do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

By not giving them a cut? I don’t understand this mindset. Free tuition, free books, free tutoring, free meals, free lodging, and spending money. I can ASSURE you that all scholarship basketball and football players at Power 5 universities got their cut, and the majority of these kids weren’t the reason universities are making tons of money. That would be bc of a select few, and that select few got the platform to show their skills and a free degree to fall back on. These kids are getting a head start on real life. So I can’t agree they weren’t getting a cut. Every kid in these money making sports should have the ability to go straight to the pros if they don’t like the idea of only getting everything free. You want to benefit from free college or do you want to go get paid? Nobody makes any kids go to college right? 

That's not a "cut" - basketball and football bring in millions of dollars, benefits worth 30k do not count as a cut. 

I'm not sure which kids you are talking about when you say they "weren't the reason" for schools making money. If you mean volleyball players, then of course you're right. If you mean any other rotation player in basketball and football, then they contribute to the team winning and that's where the money comes from. 

You seem to be pointing to the idea that, under the old system, kids chose to come play anyway. But, you are ignoring the fact that, under the new system, people (whoever they may be) choose to pay. A system that pays the people who do the work with money that was always there seems way better than one that says they can't receive money even though people want to pay them.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, ephul said:

How not? Especially when there's alternatives, such as Europe, sitting out a year, etc.

You know what you get when you take a scholarship and play under the NCAA. Don't think it's worth it? Don't do it.

How much $ does college basketball generate?  ESPN, CBS, NCAA, etc. have made trillions off of these kids.  Not to mention each school cashing in.  

And tbh your stance doesn't really matter right now.  Time to embrace it or go hang out with Scott in 1980 something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ephul said:

So.. what about baseball and softball? 

They should just have to live with it too ...even though they don't even get full scholarships or anything close to it? 

They changed the rules anyways, so.. now its -- "you know you can get NIL money with your scholarship, so why not go to school?" 

I really don't see the problem with NIL at all. I also agree that the market will even out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yet you insinuate that IU fans are being hypocritical for keeping up with the times...

You also said that while IU might bury Purdue with the NIL, other schools would bury us...

You greatly underestimate the IU brand. We're doing just fine so far, and as NIL goes along and gets more clearly defined, we'll keep doing well...

In the meantime, it'll be the readymade Boiler excuse when we start taking Purdue to the woodshed every year...

We’ve had “better” players than Purdue for almost the entirety of my life (over 40 years)…and we have a losing record against them during my lifetime….what makes you think we are going to start beating them regularly now?? Honestly…I’m not even sure I want to build a team of only NIL chasers. Guys more interested in what they earn then what they can do together….I mean look at UK…they’ve had a couple exceptional teams the past 15 years but now they mostly just have guys that only looking to benefit their own brand and not each other.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

and as we are finding out, some of these players have a value much higher than this. otherwise they wouldn’t be offered these contracts. It’s just logic. 

Having an opinion on what you think a player ‘deserves’ is way different than their actual worth. 

I'm not sure what the future of collegiate of athletics looks like, but many players were not getting their full cut. The NCAA and colleges were keeping it for themselves. You may disagree that kids were being taken advantage of, but every state and the Supreme Court disagrees with you on this. And just because ‘players can go to the g league’ or ‘players can go to Europe’ still does not give the NCAA the right to keep a free person, in America, the right to monetize off their name. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, rico said:

How much $ does college basketball generate?  ESPN, CBS, NCAA, etc. have made trillions off of these kids.  Not to mention each school cashing in.  

The athletes still aren't getting any of that money directly beyond their scholarships. 

But if you're going to use a kid's name on a jersey for sale in the bookstore, or a likeness in a video game, and the kid not get a cut...

Those were the initial thoughts (Ed O'Bannon vs NCAA is the landmark). Now it's blossomed into business deals between athletes and companies. 

Good for the kids.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think they blame the NCAA for not getting out in front of this. The Obannon lawsuit was what….about 8 years ago…and of course the rumblings was happening before that…but they’ve had time to find ways to allow for compensation of players by schools and NIL applications for these players and allow all this to be done in an organized and controlled way. Kind of slowly introduce this concept…but they did try to hold the flood waters back all together instead of letting out some of the pressure and in the end the dam broke and now everything is being flooded with no control. That’s the complaint.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We’ve had “better” players than Purdue for almost the entirety of my life (over 40 years)…and we have a losing record against them during my lifetime….what makes you think we are going to start beating them regularly now?? Honestly…I’m not even sure I want to build a team of only NIL chasers. Guys more interested in what they earn then what they can do together….I mean look at UK…they’ve had a couple exceptional teams the past 15 years but now they mostly just have guys that only looking to benefit their own brand and not each other.

Started at 1982 and from then until Tom Crean had the scorched earth teams of 2008-2011 IU was 29-23 against Purdue during that period. Have they had the upper hand since then? Yes, but it's more even than people think and Purdue (or any other team for that matter) hasn't suffered the meltdown our program endured. 

Now we have a coach that understands IU basketball, has a lengthy NBA resume, knows the game and how to help a kid toward his dream, and an administration that is working NIL in favored of our kids. Nothing wrong with that

It's ok for a kid to use his fame to make money. Will some be overpaid? Sure, but as I said, water will find its level.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue has a winning record against us in your lifetime because of:

1) Archie Miller

2) IU's foolish decision to nuke the program in 2008. 

And I would take UK's last 15 years in a heartbeat over ours. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rico said:

And tbh your stance doesn't really matter right now.  Time to embrace it or go hang out with Scott in 1980 something.

Colleges made trillions all the while the cost of a college education has skyrocketed for the avg student. More than time for a total overhaul of the educational system….but that’s a whole nother can of worms. I don’t feel sorry for the universities for sure…I just hope this period of insanity gets worked out rather quickly…I don’t like where we are today…anymore than where we were 20 years ago…hoping to get some semblance of normalcy and structure back because I love college sports much more than professional (even if it isn’t played at the highest level). I loved the atmosphere and comrodary and somewhat purity it had…just hoping it doesn’t become a watered down pro league. Nothing wrong with the kids earning a living while going to school…but hope the school part of it still has relevance.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

You're answering your own question. That's how they were supposed to stop it.

That said, I don't see any reason not to like the way things are. We will see what happens in the future, but I've got no problem with the fact that the guys who go out and win games get a chunk of the money.

If I am not mistaken these guys are not getting a piece of the pie from the NCAA but donors.

58 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

That's not a "cut" - basketball and football bring in millions of dollars, benefits worth 30k do not count as a cut. 

I'm not sure which kids you are talking about when you say they "weren't the reason" for schools making money. If you mean volleyball players, then of course you're right. If you mean any other rotation player in basketball and football, then they contribute to the team winning and that's where the money comes from. 

You seem to be pointing to the idea that, under the old system, kids chose to come play anyway. But, you are ignoring the fact that, under the new system, people (whoever they may be) choose to pay. A system that pays the people who do the work with money that was always there seems way better than one that says they can't receive money even though people want to pay them.

The name on the front of the jersey is what brings in the big money,  not the players.

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Purdue has a winning record against us in your lifetime because of:

1) Archie Miller

2) IU's foolish decision to nuke the program in 2008. 

And I would take UK's last 15 years in a heartbeat over ours. 

It was very equal when I was growing up…heck Keady had a winning record vs Knight…we had some ebbs and flows but fact is even under our greatest coach it’s been pretty even. Just saying what makes you think we will ever just dominate them…we never have. There has been bursts at different times but I’m willing to bet as long as Painter is there it will be pretty even.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The athletes still aren't getting any of that money directly beyond their scholarships. 

But if you're going to use a kid's name on a jersey for sale in the bookstore, or a likeness in a video game, and the kid not get a cut...

Those were the initial thoughts (Ed O'Bannon vs NCAA is the landmark). Now it's blossomed into business deals between athletes and companies. 

Good for the kids.

Exactly, I have no problem with kids getting money from Jersey sales or signing autographs.  What this Pack deal shows is that these kids are just getting money handed to them.

Like I said yester players come and go but the program is what brings in all the money.  IU has had many top players and sometimes not so much but fans still comes to games so I don't buy that players are what brings in the money.