Transfer Portal 2022

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It was very equal when I was growing up…heck Keady had a winning record vs Knight…we had some ebbs and flows but fact is even under our greatest coach it’s been pretty even. Just saying what makes you think we will ever just dominate them…we never have. There has been bursts at different times but I’m willing to bet as long as Painter is there it will be pretty even.

If they get left in the dust on NIL, I think we'll have our way with them. This year, they self admittedly had their best overall team in years, and we split with them. Had we gotten a fair shake in Mackey, it could have been a sweep.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Exactly, I have no problem with kids getting money from Jersey sales or signing autographs.  What this Pack deal shows is that these kids are just getting money handed to them.

Like I said yester players come and go but the program is what brings in all the money.  IU has had many top players and sometimes not so much but fans still comes to games so I don't buy that players are what brings in the money.

How exactly does it show that? I'm quite sure LifeLock is going to want Nijel Pack to do something for his money, no? Name, Likeness, Image?

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Winning is what brings in the big money.

IU still get as much national coverage as ever yet we have not been winning at a high rate.  Also winning does help but it is players wearing that jersey that sales.  Put these guys in a G league uniform will CBS, ESPN and Fox pay billions of dollars to show those games.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If they get left in the dust on NIL, I think we'll have our way with them. This year, they self admittedly had their best overall team in years, and we split with them. Had we gotten a fair shake in Mackey, it could have been a sweep.

Sorry…imo your delusional. Even if they fall behind in the recruiting wars (which they typically don’t get top recruits like IU anyways) they will not get left in the dust. It’s a great…well respected…traditional basketball school. It may not have had the highs of IU but they are going to be very relevant the rest of my lifetime…you can take that to the bank…along with the money kids will get from both programs. This is just naivety at its finest. Purdue is always going to be a great foe…we aren’t running away from them. I love IU and i fully believe we have a program that has the highest upside of any program in the B1G but we aren’t ever going to run off like 15 years in a row of dominance like KU in the Big 12…nor going like 10 in a row against Purdue…as rose colored glasses as I have I’m too objective and I have to much respect for them to suggest such.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

By not giving them a cut? I don’t understand this mindset. Free tuition, free books, free tutoring, free meals, free lodging, and spending money. I can ASSURE you that all scholarship basketball and football players at Power 5 universities got their cut, and the majority of these kids weren’t the reason universities are making tons of money. That would be bc of a select few, and that select few got the platform to show their skills and a free degree to fall back on. These kids are getting a head start on real life. So I can’t agree they weren’t getting a cut. Every kid in these money making sports should have the ability to go straight to the pros if they don’t like the idea of only getting everything free. You want to benefit from free college or do you want to go get paid? Nobody makes any kids go to college right? 

I used to be on your side until coaches started making 7-10 million 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Exactly, I have no problem with kids getting money from Jersey sales or signing autographs.  What this Pack deal shows is that these kids are just getting money handed to them.

Like I said yester players come and go but the program is what brings in all the money.  IU has had many top players and sometimes not so much but fans still comes to games so I don't buy that players are what brings in the money.

Sounds like players are in dire straits.   "Money for nothin'...and your chicks for free."    😂

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

We’ve had “better” players than Purdue for almost the entirety of my life (over 40 years)…and we have a losing record against them during my lifetime….what makes you think we are going to start beating them regularly now?? Honestly…I’m not even sure I want to build a team of only NIL chasers. Guys more interested in what they earn then what they can do together….I mean look at UK…they’ve had a couple exceptional teams the past 15 years but now they mostly just have guys that only looking to benefit their own brand and not each other.

This is what I meant by the “Dark Side”

you become the thing you detest 

it is interesting that Purdue didn’t pay anyone and they all came back….for now….makes me proud of the Purdue laundry I root for 😳🥳

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

so I don't buy that players are what brings in the money.

I’m sure IU’s strong history made up of spectacular players has nothing to do with the value of the name on the front of the jersey. What is IU basketball without Alford, Isaiah, McGinnis, Buckner, May, Cheaney, Zeller, etc., etc.?

The name on the back of the jersey is mutually beneficial with the name on the front. You can’t have one without the other.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Winning is what brings in the big money.

Define “big money”. 

The B1G pays every program the same amount regardless. As bad as we were in football last year, and as middle of the road the basketball program was, we received the same as every other school.

I would define the $27 million or whatever the network paid out as big money. And we could have lost every game and still got it 

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How exactly does it show that? I'm quite sure LifeLock is going to want Nijel Pack to do something for his money, no? Name, Likeness, Image?

It's Life Wallet, a digital health care business that Ruiz started and is getting national publicity from these deals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Rivalry games you throw everything out the window. Bad Purdue teams have beaten really good IU teams and vice versa. Purdue won’t get left in the dust on NIL IMO. Just late to the game lol. My guess is we’ll need to have some type of NIL deal ready for DGL once he’s ready to sign. Heard NIL opportunity was a legit part of why he committed in the first place. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Rivalry games you throw everything out the window. Bad Purdue teams have beaten really good IU teams and vice versus. Purdue won’t get left in the dust on NIL IMO. Just late to the game lol. My guess is we’ll need to have some type of NIL deal ready for DGL once he’s ready to sign. Heard NIL opportunity was a legit part of why he committed in the first place. 

Who is DGL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

How much $ does college basketball generate?  ESPN, CBS, NCAA, etc. have made trillions off of these kids.  Not to mention each school cashing in.  

And tbh your stance doesn't really matter right now.  Time to embrace it or go hang out with Scott in 1980 something.

Virtually any laborer that works for a Fortune 500 company could make this same argument.

The only way to fight it is quit, strike, or create an alternative.

11 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

If NIL is used like it was intended IU easily crushes  Purdue….85% of the state are IU fans?  5% UK ?

I think IU would be top 10 nationally 

Miami would have zero chance 

but if it’s just billionaires playing fantasy basketball…..who knows 

You very much over-estimate the number of IU vs PU vs UK fans. I’d say about 50% IU fans…25% PU…10% UK…and 15% everything else.. IU has lost a lot of its luster with this new generation.