Transfer Portal 2022

North Carolina brings everyone back from last year’s team except Brady Manek - which is a HUGE loss.

The Tar Heels can’t even go portaling to replace Manek and his perimeter shooting because they bring in three freshmen and don’t have a scholarship.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) April 24, 2022

Just now, IU Scott said:

North Carolina brings everyone back from last year’s team except Brady Manek - which is a HUGE loss.

The Tar Heels can’t even go portaling to replace Manek and his perimeter shooting because they bring in three freshmen and don’t have a scholarship.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) April 24, 2022

Outside of him.. we shot the same %

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

That's not a "cut" - basketball and football bring in millions of dollars, benefits worth 30k do not count as a cut. 

I'm not sure which kids you are talking about when you say they "weren't the reason" for schools making money. If you mean volleyball players, then of course you're right. If you mean any other rotation player in basketball and football, then they contribute to the team winning and that's where the money comes from. 

You seem to be pointing to the idea that, under the old system, kids chose to come play anyway. But, you are ignoring the fact that, under the new system, people (whoever they may be) choose to pay. A system that pays the people who do the work with money that was always there seems way better than one that says they can't receive money even though people want to pay them.

It certainly is a cut. Where do you think the money comes from for their free school?

It’s not really the point of the whole discussion, but no, roster spots 40-85 in football do very little outside of being practice dummies. A lot of kids in both football and basketball, the revenue sports, contribute very little. Those kids are typically replaceable. With your reasoning, we’re paying anybody associated with revenue-making sports?  That’s a good way to kill other sports or push kids away from playing any other sports. 

Kids don’t have to go to school. Go make money playing sports out of high school. If you’re that talented there are plenty of avenues to see what your worth is. It’s always been understood that you are a student-athlete if you go to college. I mean you get a free education and are able to put your skills on display to see what you’re capable of doing at the next level. It’s a head start over the majority of other college students simply because you’re athletic. And again many of those athletes have no shot playing beyond college. So they should get paid for just being a part of it? We could go back and forth on this for hours I’m sure. I just don’t agree with it. Go be a professional if you want. Nobody is forcing you to go to college.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

and as we are finding out, some of these players have a value much higher than this. otherwise they wouldn’t be offered these contracts. It’s just logic. 

Having an opinion on what you think a player ‘deserves’ is way different than their actual worth. 

I'm not sure what the future of collegiate of athletics looks like, but many players were not getting their full cut. The NCAA and colleges were keeping it for themselves. You may disagree that kids were being taken advantage of, but every state and the Supreme Court disagrees with you on this. And just because ‘players can go to the g league’ or ‘players can go to Europe’ still does not give the NCAA the right to keep a free person, in America, the right to monetize off their name. 

Do kids/parents not understand what they are signing up for? I mean, then fight to make sure universities aren’t making money off a kid’s name (not possible unless you want to take athletics off of tv). Can’t advertise kids, can’t put names on jerseys, etc. But isn’t there a trade-off there? Aren’t the kids getting a lot of exposure from the schools making money off of them? I mean doesn’t every kid that plays basketball at IU have a head start on any other job applicant working in the state of Indiana, even if they can’t go to the next level? They are FREE to leave or not go to school. I just don’t like the idea of professionalizing college athletics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It certainly is a cut. Where do you think the money comes from for their free school?

It’s not really the point of the whole discussion, but no, roster spots 40-85 in football do very little outside of being practice dummies. A lot of kids in both football and basketball, the revenue sports, contribute very little. Those kids are typically replaceable. With your reasoning, we’re paying anybody associated with revenue-making sports?  That’s a good way to kill other sports or push kids away from playing any other sports. 

Kids don’t have to go to school. Go make money playing sports out of high school. If you’re that talented there are plenty of avenues to see what your worth is. It’s always been understood that you are a student-athlete if you go to college. I mean you get a free education and are able to put your skills on display to see what you’re capable of doing at the next level. It’s a head start over the majority of other college students simply because you’re athletic. And again many of those athletes have no shot playing beyond college. So they should get paid for just being a part of it? We could go back and forth on this for hours I’m sure. I just don’t agree with it. Go be a professional if you want. Nobody is forcing you to go to college.

Right, that's why I put "cut" in quotes. To emphasize it needs to be in proportion to the amount being raised overall. In the old system, it was not.

Again, you seem to be ignoring what I said. I made reference to "rotation players" being valuable. But, more importantly, no one is saying everyone has to be paid: merely that anyone can be paid if someone else thinks he is worthwhile to pay.

Schools don't have to pay, neither do boosters or businesses, but all three groups have long wanted to be able to. Players want to be paid. The old rules said that two parties cannot do what they both want even though one party, and plenty of outside parties, are making boat-loads of money. That's just wrong. If you make a lot of money off someone else, you pay them. 

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

Right, that's why I put "cut" in quotes. To emphasize it needs to be in proportion to the amount being raised overall. In the old system, it was not.

Again, you seem to be ignoring what I said. I made reference to "rotation players" being valuable. But, more importantly, no one is saying everyone has to be paid: merely that anyone can be paid if someone else thinks he is worthwhile to pay.

Schools don't have to pay, neither do boosters or businesses, but all three groups have long wanted to be able to. Players want to be paid. The old rules said that two parties cannot do what they both want even though one party, and plenty of outside parties, are making boat-loads of money. That's just wrong. If you make a lot of money off someone else, you pay them. 

They did pay them, you also have to realize that a lot of that money is used to fund the rest of the sports.  You have 3 divisions plus NAIA that all have to be funded so it is not like the NCAA was just putting all that money in their pockets 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They did pay them, you also have to realize that a lot of that money is used to fund the rest of the sports.  You have 3 divisions plus NAIA that all have to be funded so it is not like the NCAA was just putting all that money in their pockets 

I did some calculations about how much it cost for just scholarship money for just both basketball teams and football just at IU.

Basketball 13 men's/15 woman's and I calculate $50,000 per player. Might be more at some places and probably less at others.

28x$50,000=1.4 million so say there are 340 D1 schools who issues scholarships $480,000,000

Football 85 scholarship players.  85×$50,000= $4.25 mil and say 120 D1 football. $510,000,000.

So look how much it cost to fund just scholarships for 3 sports in D1 sports.  That is not taking account the other 20+ sports each school has and the other divisions in college.  You have cost to cover travel for all of these teams.  You also have to cover these kids under the schools insurance policies.

It is so easy saying that the NCAA makes all if this money and the players should get paid because of it.  You need to look deeper at the cost it is to run each athletic department in college sports and how many of them don't bring in a lot of money.

3 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

This is what I meant by the “Dark Side”

you become the thing you detest 

it is interesting that Purdue didn’t pay anyone and they all came back….for now….makes me proud of the Purdue laundry I root for 😳🥳

IU fans detested rule breaking...the rules are different now...surely you can grasp that concept...

"All came back"? 

I guess Trevion, Ivey, Hunter, and Sasha missed that memo...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

IU fans detested rule breaking...the rules are different now...surely you can grasp that concept...

"All came back"? 

I guess Trevion, Ivey, Hunter, and Sasha missed that memo...

Ivey is about to be a multi-millionaire so obviously he didn’t come back. Trevion is ready to go to the pros and will be a 2nd rounder IMO. Sasha didn’t want to come back for another year and will likely play overseas for a bit. Hunter could still come back. 

If any of them were worried about NIL, I think you could’ve seen them enter the portal (yes I realize Hunter is in the portal but I think Pack was a big part of that). Think about the kind of NIL Trevion could’ve gotten if he wanted to test it out? I think sometimes guys are just ready to move on and get on with their lives. Unless you’re someone like Jalen Coleman-Lands of course. 

57 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I have no idea if schools wanted this or not, or the percentage that did or didn’t. All I’m saying is that kids know what they’re entering into when they go to college. They are making a choice that they don’t have to make. This isn’t slavery or a contracted job. They sign up for it. There are other options if they don’t like the system. But to me, getting life for free for four-five years is a pretty good deal in return, especially when you CAN leave with a valuable piece of paper, or two for that matter. These kids are able to get summer classes paid for as well if they want to get done quick and start a master’s degree. I think these kids had it made, but I digress because we’ve already moved past that. So my argument is a waste of time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

It's Life Wallet, a digital health care business that Ruiz started and is getting national publicity from these deals.

Looks like it's a pretty good deal from Ruiz' standpoint. This is exactly why businesses want to do these -- and if they can get traction with splashy totals, we all talk about it. 

I may have heard of Life Wallet prior to this deal, but certainly am more aware of it now as a result.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Ivey is about to be a multi-millionaire so obviously he didn’t come back. Trevion is ready to go to the pros and will be a 2nd rounder IMO. Sasha didn’t want to come back for another year and will likely play overseas for a bit. Hunter could still come back. 

If any of them were worried about NIL, I think you could’ve seen them enter the portal (yes I realize Hunter is in the portal but I think Pack was a big part of that). Think about the kind of NIL Trevion could’ve gotten if he wanted to test it out? I think sometimes guys are just ready to move on and get on with their lives. Unless you’re someone like Jalen Coleman-Lands of course. 

I'll give you Ivey, but your boy said "they all came back." They didn't.  

And the holier than thou act on getting caught napping on the NIL is laughable...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think they blame the NCAA for not getting out in front of this. The Obannon lawsuit was what….about 8 years ago…and of course the rumblings was happening before that…but they’ve had time to find ways to allow for compensation of players by schools and NIL applications for these players and allow all this to be done in an organized and controlled way. Kind of slowly introduce this concept…but they did try to hold the flood waters back all together instead of letting out some of the pressure and in the end the dam broke and now everything is being flooded with no control. That’s the complaint.

But most the complaints I see about the NIL aren’t that the dams broke, it’s that the players are kidding paid at all. I mean, I’m this very thread numerous posters still claim a scholarship is fair compensation. 

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did some calculations about how much it cost for just scholarship money for just both basketball teams and football just at IU.

Basketball 13 men's/15 woman's and I calculate $50,000 per player. Might be more at some places and probably less at others.

28x$50,000=1.4 million so say there are 340 D1 schools who issues scholarships $480,000,000

Football 85 scholarship players.  85×$50,000= $4.25 mil and say 120 D1 football. $510,000,000.

So look how much it cost to fund just scholarships for 3 sports in D1 sports.  That is not taking account the other 20+ sports each school has and the other divisions in college.  You have cost to cover travel for all of these teams.  You also have to cover these kids under the schools insurance policies.

It is so easy saying that the NCAA makes all if this money and the players should get paid because of it.  You need to look deeper at the cost it is to run each athletic department in college sports and how many of them don't bring in a lot of money.

What’s going in your 50K calculation? 

• Like 1