Transfer Portal 2022

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Good Lord….they graduated or are top 5 pick in NBA.  

rules….there are no rules 

not trying to say IU did anything wrong…..but could you imagine if Cuban came in like Ruiz!

this insanity has just begun 🍿

Yet they all had eligibility left and your backcourt is thinner than Chet Holmgren...you two act like Purdue didn't want any of them back, but you're not telling me getting another year out of Sasha or Hunter wouldn't have made Painter happy...had your administration not stood around with their thumbs up their hinny-hos, maybe you could have lined something up for them to at least consider it...

But now you struck out on Pack, and you're going to have to rely on 3 freshmen for depth...good luck with that...

As for the guys that left, I do understand...Christ, if the only way out of West Lafayette was the last seat on the SS Minnow, I'd take it...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

So, this NIL thing means basketball will be more entertaining or less entertaining?  I mean, that's what we're talking about here...right?  Because, college basketball in its present state is really bad...as in hard to watch.  So, the debate is whether NIL will improve the entertainment level or not.  Personally, I think it doesn't really matter much one way or the other.  Because we can't do anything to stop the changes happening to the game and the players.  One old geezer's opinion.  😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Now I am tired of this ######. I'm sick and ###### tired of Nijel Pack. I'm ###### tired of talking about Purdue. I'm not here to ###### around this week. Now you may be, but I'm not. Now I am going to ###### guarantee you that if we don't start talking about Zone defenses on Monday night, you aren't gonna believe the next four ###### days. Now I am not here to talk about NIL on Monday. Now you better understand that right now. This is absolute ###### bullshit. Now I'll ###### run your ass right into the ground. I mean I'll ###### run you, you'll think HSN server going down was a ###### picnic. I had to sit around for a ###### week and talk about Purdue and NIL in this ###### thread and I mean you will not put me in that ###### position again, or you will ###### pay for it like you can't ###### believe.

huh?  are you having a stroke?  do i need to call someone for you?

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

huh?  are you have a stroke?  do i need to call someone for you?

LMAO probably...for some reason when you wrote "I am tired of listening and seeing everyone discuss Purdue" I thought of the famous Bob Knight halftime speech where he says "I'm sick and effing tired of losing to Purdue." I then decided to transform his halftime speech into a rant about the NIL and Purdue. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

LMAO probably...for some reason when you wrote "I am tired of listening and seeing everyone discuss Purdue" I thought of the famous Bob Knight halftime speech where he says "I'm sick and effing tired of losing to Purdue." I then decided to transform his halftime speech into a rant about the NIL and Purdue. 

I didn't even put that together.  Without the f bombs my brain didn't even register that LOL

• Haha 3

Found this quote by Nigel Pack interesting and revealing...

“I chose Miami because Coach L is a great coach and he allows his guards to get up and down and play with lots of freedom."

"Oh, who the hell am I kidding...for the cheddar they offered, I would have played for Patrick Ewing."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Think about the kind of NIL Trevion could’ve gotten if he wanted to test it out?

McDonald's fries ad? 

Your administration was surely unprepared to help him...

Anyway, you Purdue fellas can have the field to promote your agenda...for the sanity of the board, I'll retire from the conversation...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

So, this NIL thing means basketball will be more entertaining or less entertaining?  I mean, that's what we're talking about here...right?  Because, college basketball in its present state is really bad...as in hard to watch.  So, the debate is whether NIL will improve the entertainment level or not.  Personally, I think it doesn't really matter much one way or the other.  Because we can't do anything to stop the changes happening to the game and the players.  One old geezer's opinion.  😂

Correct. If anything its a good thing..more good players will be staying in college. 

I hope we shell out every penny needed.  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I think there’s a lot of over-reacting going on….you’d think that college sports will cease to exist in 10 years. Just like the transfer portal, things may take a bit to settle in, but I’m honestly not concerned about it that much.

Many keep on saying that blue bloods like Kansas and Kentucky will have an unfair advantage (although they’ve already had an unfair advantage for the last 20+ years, but that is beside the point), but look at the schools where the players with the highest NIL deals have landed: Tennessee State and Miami. Not exactly basketball powerhouses. Heck, I believe the highest NIL deal in college sports belongs to that LSU gymnast. 

I really wonder how much of this contempt is coming from deep rooted personal opinions about what a kid ‘deserves’. Envy that a “kid who hasn’t done much in life other than having the god given ability to play a sport is going to make 10 times as much as you when you’re been working your ass off for years”. Well, too bad, so sad. Ironically it’s our interest in college sports that’s now going to pay their salaries. Our interest in sports makes them valuable. Us, the guys posting on message boards. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yet they all had eligibility left and your backcourt is thinner than Chet Holmgren...you two act like Purdue didn't want any of them back, but you're not telling me getting another year out of Sasha or Hunter wouldn't have made Painter happy...had your administration not stood around with their thumbs up their hinny-hos, maybe you could have lined something up for them to at least consider it...

But now you struck out on Pack, and you're going to have to rely on 3 freshmen for depth...good luck with that...

As for the guys that left, I do understand...Christ, if the only way out of West Lafayette was the last seat on the SS Minnow, I'd take it...

We’ll pick someone up in the portal or Hunter may come back. I’d be shocked if the roster we have now is the final one you’ll see in the fall. 

Like I said before, Sasha already had multiple NIL deals last year. He had been in school 5 years and was ready to move on. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

so about Dennis Dixon.  Are we offering him more than Nijel Peck to come to IU?  But serious, where we at with Dixon?

I don’t know if the old QB from Oregon has anything left in his legs to try to play college basketball…but I’m sure there’s some sort of deal in place for Dexter if he chooses us. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But most the complaints I see about the NIL aren’t that the dams broke, it’s that the players are kidding paid at all. I mean, I’m this very thread numerous posters still claim a scholarship is fair compensation. 

if someone gave me the choice of coming as a student and paying thousands of dollars each year to do so or coming as a player and getting to be a student for free, free housing, free food, and academic support....i'd take the latter in a second.

It is fair compensation.

It has been pointed out how much coaches make and saying it's unfair that players don't make anything.  But it's not that players were not making enough, it's that salaries for coaches are getting completely absurd.  Instead of paying players, they should have looked at reigning in salaries that coaches are getting. 

Maybe instead of paying coaches and their staffs millions of dollars, we could put that towards the ever increasing tuition costs that NON-PLAYERS have to pay.

Edited by iuswingman